Reload this Page >

Buying a used Car - please explain what is needed for ownership

Buying a used Car - please explain what is needed for ownership

Old Oct 7th 2010, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

twinkletoes35 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a used Car - please explain what is needed for ownership

Hello all

Ok trying to get my head around this, if some one could explain the logisics of buying a used car, we are looking at a budget of $4000, hoping to be able to get a car that won't break down every 5 minutes. Moving to North Queensland

I know we need rego (car tax) if we are buying a used car does it need to come with a safety certificate? and how much is the stamp duty? and how easy and what is the cost of top up insurance, any recommendations welcomed. Can you pay the insurance monthly?

Once I get my head around this, I can then start the car search online!

thanks for your help TTxx
Old Oct 8th 2010, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Buying a used Car - please explain what is needed for ownership

In Queensland, if you sell a car you have to get a safety certificate. I'm not sure of stamp duty as I have not bought a car in Queensland yet (only NSW). I think it cost me about $600 for rego....the third party insurance is included in that and payable through the motor registry.

I use CGU for fully comp insurance. You can compare car insurance at http://www.iselect.com.au/car/index.jsp
Old Oct 8th 2010, 12:50 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twinkletoes35
Hello all

Ok trying to get my head around this, if some one could explain the logisics of buying a used car, we are looking at a budget of $4000, hoping to be able to get a car that won't break down every 5 minutes. Moving to North Queensland

I know we need rego (car tax) if we are buying a used car does it need to come with a safety certificate? In Queensland it is illegal to sell a car without a roadworthy certificate unless you are selling it unregistered, so whoever you buy it from should acquire (and pay for) the certificateand how much is the stamp duty? 2% of the greater of "market value" or what you actually paidand how easy and what is the cost of top up insurance, any recommendations welcomed. Can you pay the insurance monthly?Impossible to answer as insurance cost will depend on how old you are, what your claims record is, where you live, whether the car is garaged, etc, etc. Most companies will allow monthly payments which may attract a small premium.

Once I get my head around this, I can then start the car search online!

thanks for your help TTxx
See above
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice

Hi,
So lets see if I understand things.....
Q.The rego is a type of road tax, does the amount you pay vary on the emissions of the car just like here in the UK ?

Q. I am looking at buying a secondhand Landrover Freelander which has a cracked windscreen and therefore doesnt have a certificate presumable I will need to get the windscreen fixed / get a certificate and then I can register the vehicle ??

Q. When is the 2% tax levied, is this payable when the car is registered in my name and who do you pay??

Q. Can I register a secondhand car on a UK licence or do I need a QLD licence ??

Sorry for all the questions, but sadly I'm in need of some enlightenment as we arrive in Brisbane in a weeks time .......
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heldownunder
Hi,
So lets see if I understand things.....
Q.The rego is a type of road tax, does the amount you pay vary on the emissions of the car just like here in the UK ?

It's based on engine type. Mine cost more cause it's a V6.

Q. I am looking at buying a secondhand Landrover Freelander which has a cracked windscreen and therefore doesnt have a certificate presumable I will need to get the windscreen fixed / get a certificate and then I can register the vehicle ??

Q. When is the 2% tax levied, is this payable when the car is registered in my name and who do you pay??

Q. Can I register a secondhand car on a UK licence or do I need a QLD licence ??

Swap you UK license for QLD one when you arrive. Just go to any queensland Transport office. You'll need proof of address where you are staying and passport ID.

Sorry for all the questions, but sadly I'm in need of some enlightenment as we arrive in Brisbane in a weeks time .......
See above in red.
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice

Cheers for the info, I assume the the QLD transportation is central in Brizzy ??
Many Thanks...............................
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 9:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heldownunder
Cheers for the info, I assume the the QLD transportation is central in Brizzy ??
Many Thanks...............................
There are many offices. Don't go into Brisbane central as parking is expensive and they're revamping their offices. Try Chermside or another office close to you. See link below for all offices in order.

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/About-us/C...centres.aspx#A
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by medwaymark

I use CGU for fully comp insurance. You can compare car insurance at http://www.iselect.com.au/car/index.jsp
Note that insurance comparison sites have not taken off in Australia, you are missing many of the main players in the market if you use a comparison site as they are not on there.
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 10:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

For insurance, if you are happy to deal online only http://www.bingle.com.au/car_insurance/ are pretty cheap
Old Oct 25th 2010, 1:36 am
cdb
Just Joined

cdb is an unknown quantity at this point

You will need to get comp insurance, I would recommend AIIMI or whatever its called, Their service is pretty good by Aussie standards,