Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying a used car with no fixed address. Can it be done ?

Buying a used car with no fixed address. Can it be done ?

Old May 27th 2007, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

gray has a brilliant futuregray has a brilliant futuregray has a brilliant futuregray has a brilliant futuregray has a brilliant futuregray has a brilliant futuregray has a brilliant future
Post Buying a used car with no fixed address. Can it be done ?

I am moving out to Adelaide from the United Kingdom in June. And have so far been unable to arrange a suitable rental. I am considering buying a large tent to live in for the first few months whilst I sort things out. Can I buy a used car in SA, register it in my name and renew the Rego on it with no fixed address (campsite).
I have a British passport, Skilled Ind 136 Visa, a valid U.K drivers licence and full no claims bonus (from U.K). Any Idea ? Thank's, Gray.
Old May 27th 2007, 12:19 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a used car with no fixed address. Can it be done ?

Originally Posted by gray
I am moving out to Adelaide from the United Kingdom in June. And have so far been unable to arrange a suitable rental. I am considering buying a large tent to live in for the first few months whilst I sort things out. Can I buy a used car in SA, register it in my name and renew the Rego on it with no fixed address (campsite).
I have a British passport, Skilled Ind 136 Visa, a valid U.K drivers licence and full no claims bonus (from U.K). Any Idea ? Thank's, Gray.
Yes you can easily buy a car whilst living in tented accommodation [backpackers do it all the time]. Just use the address of the site your staying at and the paperwork will be posted out to you C/O there. Alternatively if you wanted you could mark it post restante the local main post office in the area your staying, you then call in in person produce your I.D and ask for any post they're holding post restante in your name.
I've posted lots of mail post restante to post offices, marinas & harbour masters offices in the 10 yrs my folks have been sailing the world.
Old May 27th 2007, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

gray has a brilliant futuregray has a brilliant futuregray has a brilliant futuregray has a brilliant futuregray has a brilliant futuregray has a brilliant futuregray has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Buying a used car with no fixed address. Can it be done ?

Originally Posted by cresta57
Yes you can easily buy a car whilst living in tented accommodation [backpackers do it all the time]. Just use the address of the site your staying at and the paperwork will be posted out to you C/O there. Alternatively if you wanted you could mark it post restante the local main post office in the area your staying, you then call in in person produce your I.D and ask for any post they're holding post restante in your name.
I've posted lots of mail post restante to post offices, marinas & harbour masters offices in the 10 yrs my folks have been sailing the world.
That sounds like good news to me. I hadn't even heard of post restante before, that sounds ideal for me. Thank's a lot, Gray
Old May 27th 2007, 2:44 pm
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold

I agree with Sean as we were living in a caravan park and bought a 2nd hand car when we first arrived just using the receipt from the caravan park as proof of address.
Old May 27th 2007, 2:52 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snappy
I agree with Sean as we were living in a caravan park and bought a 2nd hand car when we first arrived just using the receipt from the caravan park as proof of address.
We were living on a boat in a marina, I put the address down as Yacht ******* C/O Tin Can Bay Marina QLD. I did the same with my Drivers Licence, the first time I got RBT'd was interesting:
"You really live on a boat?"
"Yes Sir"
"Where do you park your Ute?"
"In the car park"
"Oh O.K blow into this then"
Old May 27th 2007, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Buying a used car with no fixed address. Can it be done ?

Thank's guy's.