Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying a Used Car: Dealer, Carbroker, or Classified Ads?

Buying a Used Car: Dealer, Carbroker, or Classified Ads?

Old Mar 28th 2008, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

obiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to behold
Default Buying a Used Car: Dealer, Carbroker, or Classified Ads?

hi guys,

looking to buy a used Camry and have seen in some threads that a Car Broker is the way to go (not sure if this is still the case for used cars though).

I understand that there is also the Classified ads in the papers where perhaps the prices are slightly cheaper? and hopefully avoid the big profit margin which the dealers get for selling used?

Assuming car brokers also do used cars (according to their websites they do), is hiring a car broker also better than just browsing the classifieds and buying direct from sellers who are absolute strangers?

also, isnt there some "limited" warranty on the car since the car broker gets it from a dealer?

i am opting for maybe a 1998-2000 Camry since near new is ridiculously expensive...

thank you for any replies on what you guys think about buying directly from sellers in the classifieds...

cheers
Old Mar 28th 2008, 6:25 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a Used Car: Dealer, Carbroker, or Classified Ads?

Originally Posted by obiwan
Assuming car brokers also do used cars (according to their websites they do), is hiring a car broker also better than just browsing the classifieds and buying direct from sellers who are absolute strangers
I'd definitely go the broker route. Let someone else swallow the salesmen's hot-air - you'll still end up paying less for the car.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 1:13 am
BE Enthusiast

obiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Buying a Used Car: Dealer, Carbroker, or Classified Ads?

Originally Posted by Hutch
I'd definitely go the broker route. Let someone else swallow the salesmen's hot-air - you'll still end up paying less for the car.
LOL, thats a good idea Hutch...

ya from what i have read about dealers and car yards, i dont think i want to bother trying to haggle....

i have heard that in the car yards, they even purposely block your car so they have more time to work on you..