Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying a used car

Buying a used car

Old Sep 12th 2007, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of
Default Buying a used car

Are used cars generally regarded as good buys in that they have depreciated as soon as they have left the forecourt? On my list of car choices I have been looking at two year-old BMW X3s from the BMW dealer and they are roughly the same price as a new Land Rover Discovery 3. A new X3 is a more expensive than the new Discovery so second-hand looks to be a good deal. The badge ensures that it retains a high resale value and reviews are fairly good. However, the Discovery 3 has had great reviews and is new for the same price. So, in this case would you say that the X3 represents good value as a used car?
Old Sep 12th 2007, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a used car

I would say the discovery was the better buy? These two cars cost about the same new in the UK. The disco gives you a lot more offroad potential as well.

In the UK a discovery would be compared against an x5 - not an x3 - and is a proper 4 x 4.

Also, bear in mind the bm will only come with a one year warranty compared to 3 on the discovery.

Have you had a good look around these cars? You may be surprised at the cheapness of the interior in the x3 compared to the land rover - imo the x3 is inferior in every way to the disco...

No idea on residuals though - sorry
Old Sep 12th 2007, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sammyg
These two cars cost about the same new in the UK.
How much is that?
Old Sep 12th 2007, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Both start at around 27 -28k
Old Sep 12th 2007, 12:09 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by discobay
Are used cars generally regarded as good buys in that they have depreciated as soon as they have left the forecourt? On my list of car choices I have been looking at two year-old BMW X3s from the BMW dealer and they are roughly the same price as a new Land Rover Discovery 3. A new X3 is a more expensive than the new Discovery so second-hand looks to be a good deal. The badge ensures that it retains a high resale value and reviews are fairly good. However, the Discovery 3 has had great reviews and is new for the same price. So, in this case would you say that the X3 represents good value as a used car?
I would go Disco all the way if I had a choice between those 2. Australian sold BMWs are apparently manufactured in South Africa and are not as good quality as BMWs purchased in UK.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Also bear in mind that bmw subcontracts the x3 out! It is not even built at a bmw production facility:

"Built on the 3-Series platform, the X3 is the only vehicle in the lineup not built in a BMW plant. It will come from a dedicated body shop and assembly line at Magna Steyr Fahrzeugtechnik AG in Graz, Austria"

Worth knowing....
Old Sep 12th 2007, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for your info. both of you. I am already tending to the Discovery. I need to read another great review and then I'm sold. Incidentally, how are the dealers when it comes to haggling down the price?
Old Sep 12th 2007, 12:59 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your info. both of you. I am already tending to the Discovery. I need to read another great review and then I'm sold. Incidentally, how are the dealers when it comes to haggling down the price?
They'll expect the dance over the figures. It's the usual story - bounce one dealership off against another.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 6:33 pm
Lancs to central coast

simnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud of

We had a X3 sport for 2 years here in UK, fantastic handling but terrible ride quality, you feel every bump straight up your spine!
We had a lwb Shogun before that, which although no sportscar was a much nicer ride & much more room inside & 7 seats, me & my son Max would often fold seats down & sleep in at race meetings all over Uk.
We tried this once in X3 when I forgot the tent poles! not much sleep that night see pic.
Cheers
Sim

Ps it was crap offroad as well
Attached Thumbnails Buying a used car-dsc00062.jpg  

Last edited by simnmax; Sep 12th 2007 at 6:40 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

ooooh havent even thought about what car to get!! i drive a corsa here and its great for me. What would anyone recommend in Oz along the same sort of lines and small and cheap
Old Sep 12th 2007, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sammyg
In the UK a discovery would be compared against an x5 - not an x3 - and is a proper 4 x 4.
Don't think so.

X5 is more in the range rover sport or range rover comparison.

Go for the X3 every time.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 10:17 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Kia Rio, small and cheap. They loose loads of value second hand for some reason so you can pick up a 1-2 year old one still under warranty for a song.

Would pick one over a Corsa anyway, probably better built

Originally Posted by daunted
ooooh havent even thought about what car to get!! i drive a corsa here and its great for me. What would anyone recommend in Oz along the same sort of lines and small and cheap
Old Sep 13th 2007, 1:27 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Are used cars generally regarded as good buys in that they have depreciated as soon as they have left the forecourt?
Cars do not depreciate anything like as fast as the UK here. The better weather, sturdier build of many and lack of MOT probably have a lot to do with it. 200,000km on the clock is far from excessive. Buying Aussie / Japanese cars you will probably find new cars quite but second hand slightly expensive compared to the UK. But the BMW and Land Rover are probably imports so those rules may not apply. I have seen a fair few Land Rovers in Perth though.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MartinH
Don't think so.

X5 is more in the range rover sport or range rover comparison.

Go for the X3 every time.
The x3 is a completely different animal to a disco - it has less off-road capability, poor ride due to swb and five seats.

A disco is hardly any smaller than a range rover and i know someone that's got one and it cost him over 40k new so the comparison with an x5, i feel, is valid - suppose i was referring to the off road capabilities when comparing the two (and the disco is still better than an x5!).

I think you'd have to really want the badge to pick the x3 out of these two and i'm not biased aaginst BMW as we've just sold our m3 - now THAT was a car!!!
Old Sep 13th 2007, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Interesting insight. I like both badges but sometimes you can be led by the person making the sales talk. I really have to stick with what my head is thinking when I walk in to the showroom and not go with my heart. Just bought a copy of Australia's Best Used Cars and free with it is Best 4WDs - find!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.