Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying a used car

Buying a used car

Old Mar 24th 2007, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

2ndchancebritts is just really nice2ndchancebritts is just really nice2ndchancebritts is just really nice2ndchancebritts is just really nice2ndchancebritts is just really nice2ndchancebritts is just really nice2ndchancebritts is just really nice2ndchancebritts is just really nice
Default Buying a used car

When buying a used car in Queensland what do I need? (Yep, I know I need to pay for it )
I need some advise on:
Procedures for buying and registering a car and applying for plates etc?
What sort of MOT does it need if any?
Will I need and Ausy driving licence?
What are the taxes to pay and any tips you have.

My master plan is to find a car dealer near Brisbane airport, buy a car from him and have him deliver it to us outside the airport when we arrive, has anybody done this?
I don't trust car dealers so forewarned is forearmed, although Ausy dealers may be saints

Thanks Steve.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 1:45 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a used car

The dealer should handle the registration bits and bobs for you (after you've filled some forms in natch). There is no MOT as such but when a car changes hands, it needs to have a road-worthy inspection - again the dealer should handle this. The big gotcha is that you have to pay 2% stamp duty.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

lfc4eva is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 2ndchancebritts
When buying a used car in Queensland what do I need? (Yep, I know I need to pay for it )
I need some advise on:
Procedures for buying and registering a car and applying for plates etc?
What sort of MOT does it need if any?
Will I need and Ausy driving licence?
What are the taxes to pay and any tips you have.

My master plan is to find a car dealer near Brisbane airport, buy a car from him and have him deliver it to us outside the airport when we arrive, has anybody done this?
I don't trust car dealers so forewarned is forearmed, although Ausy dealers may be saints

Thanks Steve.
you're better off hiring a car for when you arrive and shop around for one. don't want to buy one without seeing it.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

2ndchancebritts is just really nice2ndchancebritts is just really nice2ndchancebritts is just really nice2ndchancebritts is just really nice2ndchancebritts is just really nice2ndchancebritts is just really nice2ndchancebritts is just really nice2ndchancebritts is just really nice

Originally Posted by lfc4eva
you're better off hiring a car for when you arrive and shop around for one. don't want to buy one without seeing it.
Being a car dealer myself for over 20 years and having bought hundreds of cars in a simular way, I will make sure to make the deal so the car is straight and a substantial balance will be paid on the day of delivery Why waist time and money on a hire when youv'e got to buy anyway?
The car I have right now I bought on the internet without any problems
Old Mar 24th 2007, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Gethy has a spectacular aura aboutGethy has a spectacular aura aboutGethy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by 2ndchancebritts
Why waist time and money on a hire when youv'e got to buy anyway?
This is our thinking as well we could save 2/3 even 4 weeks car rental which can be quite a lot. Most dealers I have been in contact with have offered to sort out all the paper work their side and meet us at the airport with the car.

Cheers
Old Mar 24th 2007, 9:30 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Dont you need a Queensland Licence number to register it though, or a QLD Transport customer number or something first ? Thought you did...just interested really!

Personally I wouldnt buy a car without seeing it, everyone to thier own I guess!
Old Mar 24th 2007, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Gethy has a spectacular aura aboutGethy has a spectacular aura aboutGethy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Centurion
Dont you need a Queensland Licence number to register it though, or a QLD Transport customer number or something first ? Thought you did...just interested really!

Personally I wouldnt buy a car without seeing it, everyone to thier own I guess!

TBH we are still in the process of deciding which car to buy and we will proably buy new. The guy i have been speaking to at Kia was confident he could sort out my Licence and the registration of the new car even though I have said we did not have an Australian address yet. As we have not agreed to purchase a car I dont know the full process, I will post as/when we do.

I know the OP was asking about a 2nd hand car but I am sure the procedure would be the same, but your point about seeing the car before buying is very valid. We have been test driving every SUV we can think of here in the UK to help us make our decision before we get there as that would be one less hassle.

Cheers
Old Mar 24th 2007, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

cra1gm is an unknown quantity at this point

as far as i was aware you MUST have a home address to own a car in QLD

there are not MOT - when you sell the car you need to get a safety certificate
need proof of address
license
cash

think this was all we needed when we got ours