Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying from the UK - customs charges

Buying from the UK - customs charges

Old Apr 13th 2010, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying from the UK - customs charges

Well done to you for trying.I hope you have measured it correctly.We miss our big freestanding 6 burner that we left behind.Hopefully one day we can buy a new one.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 2:18 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Were you in England in the late 90s and early 00s when there was a huge issue about Tescos or somesuch importing Levis jeans from abroad because the cost in the UK was so high and Levis refused to sell to UK retailers for the lower cost?
Wasn't it deemed parallel imports or something? I think it finally got to the courts and from memory I think the supermarket lost.

I've been thinking about whether someone could do the same here in Australia and what the reaction would be from manufacturers and retailers. You'd massively undercut Australian prices - although the gains would only be really significant whilst sterling was weak.

Yes, I recall that. Parallel importing is where importer A has a licence to import the goods of a specific manufacturer, but then importer B finds a cheap supply and starts importing the same goods, without a licence from the manufacturer, at a cheaper price. The manufacturer doesn't want to see a loss in revenue from their sales to importer A, so they will move to restrict B from parallel importing.

The TRIPS agreement means that counties are trying to reduce the impact of parallel importation restrictions, though in Australia it's still live and kicking if you follow the books saga. Though there are inroads into reducing parallel importation restrictions even here.

Essentially, it's not considered parallel importation if you import for your own use, providing that you don't either sell it on, offer it for sale, use it for trade/business or keep it with the intention of doing so.

I am keen to see how you get on with this - Please keep us updated with your progress!

S
Old Apr 13th 2010, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irishbloo
Well done to you for trying.I hope you have measured it correctly.We miss our big freestanding 6 burner that we left behind.Hopefully one day we can buy a new one.
Yes me too!
You made me check again! Our cavity is just about right apart from the height - the new oven is about 12cms shorter - so we'll probably need some kind of filler.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Yes me too!
You made me check again! Our cavity is just about right apart from the height - the new oven is about 12cms shorter - so we'll probably need some kind of filler.
I think with some ovens you can adjust the height but Im not sure.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Yes, I recall that. Parallel importing is where importer A has a licence to import the goods of a specific manufacturer, but then importer B finds a cheap supply and starts importing the same goods, without a licence from the manufacturer, at a cheaper price. The manufacturer doesn't want to see a loss in revenue from their sales to importer A, so they will move to restrict B from parallel importing.

The TRIPS agreement means that counties are trying to reduce the impact of parallel importation restrictions, though in Australia it's still live and kicking if you follow the books saga. Though there are inroads into reducing parallel importation restrictions even here.

Essentially, it's not considered parallel importation if you import for your own use, providing that you don't either sell it on, offer it for sale, use it for trade/business or keep it with the intention of doing so.

I am keen to see how you get on with this - Please keep us updated with your progress!

S
I'll let you know - I'm hoping to place the order by the end of the week.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 4:29 am
Forum Regular

ronnie98 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by carlap
Have you considered the fact that it will probably not be approved for Aus. They seem very anal about this here. If you have a fire or something, the insurance probably wouldn't pay out if they found out.
If you don't fit it yourself you might not be able to get a (legit) sparky to do it for you.
I am sure a good make would be perfectly OK, but wouldn't have that little label.
If it catches fire there wont be any label
Old Apr 13th 2010, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light

So in our container we need to add a new Bosch double oven, dyson upright cleaner but not bother with a Smeg side by side fridge as they cost the same in $ as in £.

Any thing else worth buying?
Old Apr 13th 2010, 7:13 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Les Avalook
So in our container we need to add a new Bosch double oven, dyson upright cleaner but not bother with a Smeg side by side fridge as they cost the same in $ as in £.

Any thing else worth buying?

If you want a small/inexpensive rotary clothes line, (like this one, courtesy of Argos) then bring one of them too. they are like rocking horse teeth or something here, and the ones you can get are a sight more expensive than 23 quid or equivalent...

S
Old Apr 13th 2010, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
If you want a small/inexpensive rotary clothes line, (like this one, courtesy of Argos) then bring one of them too. they are like rocking horse teeth or something here, and the ones you can get are a sight more expensive than 23 quid or equivalent...

S
Thanks, but would suggest that the ones in the UK are cheap but do not last and the ones in Oz are strong enough to hang the wife on.

Well the ones we have used in Oz anyway.

Thanks for the idea, the one we have in the UK is not even worth taking out of the garden and cleaning.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 11:11 am
Aussie in Hertfordshire

moocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant future

our neff oven fits quite well into our ikea kitchen cabinets. oh sorry we are still in the UK. i am watching this with interest as I love neff and am comiing home soon. i am thinking of bringing new neff appliances and an ikea kitchen.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by moocow
our neff oven fits quite well into our ikea kitchen cabinets. oh sorry we are still in the UK. i am watching this with interest as I love neff and am comiing home soon. i am thinking of bringing new neff appliances and an ikea kitchen.
We were tossing up between Neff and Bosch - for our price range, Bosch seems to be preferable - although it is a close run thing.
I can't find Neff doubles for less than about $3500 here - from $900 in the UK.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 12:03 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

We were tossing up between Neff and Bosch - for our price range, Bosch seems to be preferable - although it is a close run thing.
I can't find Neff doubles for less than about $3500 here - from $900 in the UK.
Wy have Bosch appliances in our kitchen - a single pyrolytic (self-cleaning) oven, a single steam oven and an extractor. They work well and are quality products.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 10:43 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be really interested to hear how this one turns out! We had our kitchen renovated last year and the oven is shocking - desperately need a good quality double oven!
Old Apr 16th 2010, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Well, I've placed the order. Sent to a family address in the UK.
Cost was 553GBP for this one http://www.dixons.co.uk/gbuk/bosch-c...77159-pdt.html which I think is about $930. (managed to use a discount voucher also.

I'm still working out the delivery costs - had a few quotes ranging from 150GBP (plus insurance plus extras) to 440 GBP for UPS.

I'm tempted to go for the UPS one - it's an inclusive price (including insurance) and it's door to door (and it's air freight - takes 10 days.)

I know that this doubles the price to about $1800 but it's still cheaper than here - closest equivalent I can find online is about $3000. And there's something attractive about having one company involved for the whole journey.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to all

Hi

fingers crossed for you.

Charlie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.