Buying stirling

Old Aug 19th 2010, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

Paul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nice
Default Buying stirling

Hi,
Been in Perth two years now and it has gone quickly with lots of ups and downs.
We are heading to the UK (at xmas) for our first visit back.
Can someone tell me the best place to buy pounds or do you take travellers checks, probably not.
Thanks Paul
Old Aug 19th 2010, 4:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying stirling

Originally Posted by Paul & June
Hi,
Can someone tell me the best place to buy pounds or do you take travellers checks, probably not.
Thanks Paul
You can carry an amount of cash and purchase a Stirling money card which you can fill up with as manynpounds as you wish and then withdraw from ATMs anywhere in UK.I purchased at Commonwealth Bank for a reasonable amount.
Travellers checks are a little passe these days perhaps..unless going to some of the Asian countries.....Hope that helps..Enjoy your return.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 4:53 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love to buy Stirling as it's a big part of Perth but I don't think I can afford it.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

lou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by the troubadour
You can carry an amount of cash and purchase a Stirling money card which you can fill up with as manynpounds as you wish and then withdraw from ATMs anywhere in UK.I purchased at Commonwealth Bank for a reasonable amount.
Travellers checks are a little passe these days perhaps..unless going to some of the Asian countries.....Hope that helps..Enjoy your return.
Travellers cheques seem to have died, even for Asian countries.
I have also got a Commonwealth travellers card for my upcoming overseas trip. I looked at three or four and they seemed to be the most reasonable. They've kinda replaced travellers cheques - I don't believe you need to be a Commonwealth customer to get one, as it is simply a pre-paid card that you purchase. Not sure though.
You can get them in sterling. There's two different types of card - the one I have is not free ATM withdrawals, but it is free debit transactions.
I'm not sure about the other card.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 5:20 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Hate to be a party pooper but it's pounds sterling. Stirling is a town in Scotland.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Hi, Could they not use their visa card ?
Old Aug 19th 2010, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

lou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Irish Guinness
Hi, Could they not use their visa card ?
Yeah, they just incur a lot more charges when using an Aussie bank card overseas (generally).
My partner last time he went overseas with a Commonwealth visa (debit I think), was being charged 7 or 8 bucks a withdrawal and then an international fee on top of that, and then getting charged for direct debit transactions. Something stupid like that anyway.
If you're going for any period of time, it is wise to look at a different option to using an Australian credit/debit card overseas.

Is there anyway you could transfer money into a friend or relatives account back home and use their card to withdraw a weekly amount or something?!
Just another idea!
Old Aug 19th 2010, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

Paul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nice

Originally Posted by renth
Hate to be a party pooper but it's pounds sterling. Stirling is a town in Scotland.
Sory mi spellin is shyt
Old Aug 19th 2010, 6:00 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lou1003
Yeah, they just incur a lot more charges when using an Aussie bank card overseas (generally).
My partner last time he went overseas with a Commonwealth visa (debit I think), was being charged 7 or 8 bucks a withdrawal and then an international fee on top of that, and then getting charged for direct debit transactions. Something stupid like that anyway.
If you're going for any period of time, it is wise to look at a different option to using an Australian credit/debit card overseas.

Is there anyway you could transfer money into a friend or relatives account back home and use their card to withdraw a weekly amount or something?!
Just another idea!
Use www.tranzfers.com to move money into their (or someone else's) UK account then withdraw it in the UK. Costs $15 for the transfer, thats all. Easy peasy
Old Aug 19th 2010, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Hi troubadour

can I ask where did you purchase the Stirling money card ?
Old Aug 19th 2010, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lou1003

Just another idea!
I could. I just want to make use of the good exchange rate at the moment, going back to the UK.
I have had to bring loads pounds in to Oz at a bad rate.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 6:11 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul & June
Hi,
Thanks Paul
I would take cash. I find the best place to buy GBP is the little Flight Centre Bureau that is just next to London Court in the CBD. Use cash to buy GBP cash otherwise they will charge you a fee to use EFTPOS or credit/debit card. They also sell a travel cash card.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

Average house price in Stirling is GBP 165,029 http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/h...es/html/rg.stm and there are 38,984 residential properties http://www.stirling.gov.uk/household_estimates2008.pdf so to buy Stirling will cost you about GBP 6,433,490,536 - commercial properties and statue of Mel Gibson not included.

BTW does anyone really think Stirling is worth 6.4 billion quid?
Old Aug 19th 2010, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

Why can't anyone spell sterling?!
Old Aug 19th 2010, 6:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by James516
Average house price in Stirling is GBP 165,029 http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/h...es/html/rg.stm and there are 38,984 residential properties http://www.stirling.gov.uk/household_estimates2008.pdf so to buy Stirling will cost you about GBP 6,433,490,536 - commercial properties and statue of Mel Gibson not included.

BTW does anyone really think Stirling is worth 6.4 billion quid?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.