Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying a secondhand car in WA

Buying a secondhand car in WA

Old Oct 11th 2009, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

bernstable is a jewel in the roughbernstable is a jewel in the roughbernstable is a jewel in the roughbernstable is a jewel in the rough
Default Buying a secondhand car in WA

Hi all,

Finally made it to Perth and slowly getting all the basics sorted out. Next on the agenda is a car. Planning on buying secondhand and will most likely buy private i.e. not through a dealer. What paperwork should I be looking out for / what do I need etc etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Bernie
Old Oct 11th 2009, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Buying a secondhand car in WA

You don't have an mot every year so if buying private check the date on the rego and may be take an inspector from the RAC with you or certainly book one for an inspection. We bought from a dealer so not really overly sure/
Old Oct 11th 2009, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

bernstable is a jewel in the roughbernstable is a jewel in the roughbernstable is a jewel in the roughbernstable is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Kingseat
You don't have an mot every year so if buying private check the date on the rego and may be take an inspector from the RAC with you or certainly book one for an inspection. We bought from a dealer so not really overly sure/
Forgive my ignorance but whats a rego (I'm suspecting its the registration doc of some sort) and what does the date signify?

Bernie
Old Oct 11th 2009, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Yep, you pay registration....same as a tax disc but it also includes 3rd party fire and theft. Not sure what the cost is - ours is due in December but worth making sure there is at least a couple of months worth before you need to pay.

When the vehicle changes hands you will also pay a transfer fee. Ours was around $500 for a $17,000 ford focus. Some people say if you buy from a dealer you should haggle over this when buying....unfrotunately, we didn't know about it until the bill arrives!
Old Oct 11th 2009, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kingseat
Yep, you pay registration....same as a tax disc but it also includes 3rd party fire and theft. Not sure what the cost is - ours is due in December but worth making sure there is at least a couple of months worth before you need to pay.

When the vehicle changes hands you will also pay a transfer fee. Ours was around $500 for a $17,000 ford focus. Some people say if you buy from a dealer you should haggle over this when buying....unfrotunately, we didn't know about it until the bill arrives!
Please correct me if i'm wrong but i'm sure the rego only covers you for third party only (injurys) not vehicle damages. A lot of people get caught out with this insurance especially the younger drivers & "P" platers driving high powered cars. I know of people still paying for prangs they have had 5 years after they have written theirs and someone elses off. I would only insure fully comprehensive. Seeing the way they drive here also its the only way to go.
Good luck

John
Old Oct 11th 2009, 2:02 pm
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bernstable
Hi all,

Finally made it to Perth and slowly getting all the basics sorted out. Next on the agenda is a car. Planning on buying secondhand and will most likely buy private i.e. not through a dealer. What paperwork should I be looking out for / what do I need etc etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Bernie
you can buy my landcruiser ,rego till may ,good nick ,diesel ,im off in 4-5 weeks
Old Oct 11th 2009, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

Check out www.governmentauctions.com.au
They have a auction site very close to the domestic airport and you can view all day tomorrow - auction is held on Wed am. Know a few people who have purchased vehicles from there without any problems. Lots of dealers buy from there as well. Should give you a good idea of what's available on your budget.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Be prepared for a shock, second hand cars are very expensive in WA. I remeber picking up a fairly decent car in the UK for 500 pounds so was quite suprised when I got to WA and found the cheapest decent one I could get was $6500, anything below that was very old, no air con and falling apart.

Theres a few big areas that have groups of dealers all bunched up, try down near victoria park theres a few there
Old Oct 11th 2009, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

NeilP is on a distinguished road

I'd recommend getting one privately if going for a cheaper secondhand one, you'll get a better car for the money. Try looking in the quokka (Perth free ads paper - out on a Thursday, also online) and be prepared to look at quite a few. As stated above rego only covers you for third party person insurance so whilst you can legally drive on it you'd be taking a risk if you did cause an accident.
As there is no MOT equivalent an RAC inspection might be a good idea and also look for some sort of service record.
You don't need anything to purchase a car, but you do need to provide an address to go on the papers. Also you will have to pay stamp duty on the purchase price (it's fairly common, but illegal to under declare the price to pay less duty).

Have you decided on what make and model you are looking for?
Old Oct 11th 2009, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NeilP
Have you decided on what make and model you are looking for?
Got two kids (2 & 3 years) and one on the way so need one big enough for three car seats. Might look at a people carrier like the Kia Carnival or similar.

Originally Posted by king kong
you can buy my landcruiser ,rego till may ,good nick ,diesel ,im off in 4-5 weeks
Is that a 7 seater? How much you looking for etc? maybe pm me the details
Old Oct 12th 2009, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Don't go with the Kia Carnival. Google it and you will see the forums where hundreds of people have complained about engine failure. We nearly bought one too. Lost a couple of hundred as a deposit but there is no way I'd buy one after I read what I did.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 7:48 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Might look at a people carrier like the Kia Carnival or similar.
Kia Carnivals have a terrible reputation in Australia. My mum rented one from Europcar and it died by the side of the road - electronics just "stopped". I realise that's not a scientific survey or anything and that even Toyotas break down occasionally, but still...

Perhaps there's something to be said for the Ford Falcon wagon in your position: they're relatively cheap, plentiful at ex-government auctions, spacious in the back...not the most fuel-efficient car, of course. You can also buy little "jump seats" that are bolted into the boot for kids once they get a bit older - remember what the old Volvo and Merc estates used to have?

Look at www.redbook.com.au for prices.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Wow - had a Kia Sedona (think thats the same as the Carnival) in the UK. OH loved it over there.

Will defo steer clear of them at this side of the planet though.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 10:50 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Wow - had a Kia Sedona (think thats the same as the Carnival) in the UK. OH loved it over there.
Wikipedia says that it's exactly the same car built in the same factory!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kia_Carnival That same article suggests reliability/build quality was rated above average in the US and UK but the worst going in Germany (??? Am I reading it wrong?).

Also, the rest of the range seems to be rated quite highly, it's just the Carnival that seems to cop it. I quite like the look of the Rio and the Soul looks cool too. My friend loves his Kia Sportage (although a petrol V6 fourby must be thirsty around town).
Old Oct 12th 2009, 2:43 pm
native West Aussie

Genevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant future

If buying a car in WA from a private dealer, make sure you get a REVS check - here's the site:
https://bizline.commerce.wa.gov.au/revs/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.