Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying a second hand car privately!

Buying a second hand car privately!

Old Jun 12th 2009, 9:02 am
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Buying a second hand car privately!

Hello,

On landing in Australia i expect to, or will have to purchase a second hand car. Now here in the UK you can get a nice little runaround for around one thousand pounds;

Fiesta 1.25 Finnesse, twelve months MOT, 99 plate, two months tax, 70k (miles) on the clock, will last you five years, if you look after it?

Now i know, i do know cars are more expensive in Oz, they also hold there value in Oz, there is also no MOT in Oz.

Now i have looked, a similar car as above would set you back $5000.00 dollars, or there abouts in Oz?

Can some one help me out here, i have never bought a car in Oz, let alone a second hand one, can someone give me some tips, or share their experinces with the forum?

Its just, i ain't got alot, but i do not want to buy a shed on wheels, or have to learn from my mistakes, i would rather hear the scary stories, and learn from your mistakes?

Any experiences or tips on what to do or not what to do, what to look for, what not to buy etc etc.

Many cheers, Keith
Old Jun 12th 2009, 9:15 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying a second hand car privately!

Originally Posted by Keith Moon
Now i know, i do know cars are more expensive in Oz, they also hold there value in Oz, there is also no MOT in Oz.

Now i have looked, a similar car as above would set you back $5000.00 dollars, or there abouts in Oz?

Can some one help me out here, i have never bought a car in Oz, let alone a second hand one, can someone give me some tips, or share their experinces with the forum?

Its just, i ain't got alot, but i do not want to buy a shed on wheels, or have to learn from my mistakes, i would rather hear the scary stories, and learn from your mistakes?

Any experiences or tips on what to do or not what to do, what to look for, what not to buy etc etc.

Many cheers, Keith
There is no MOT in Aus but there is an RWC (Road Worthy Certificate) which is essentially the same thing. You can't sell a car in Aus without one.

Depending on which state you go to, get it checked over by the RACV/Q (or whatever state). They will do a test on the car for you for a price. Make sure it's got a RWC. Also check with the Road Authority in your state to see if the car has been reported stolen.

If you like the car and how it drives, it has a RWC, it checks out with the RAC and road authority it should be OK to buy. Also, check to see if it's been in an accident or not.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 10:52 am
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm
There is no MOT in Aus but there is an RWC (Road Worthy Certificate) which is essentially the same thing. You can't sell a car in Aus without one.

Depending on which state you go to, get it checked over by the RACV/Q (or whatever state). They will do a test on the car for you for a price. Make sure it's got a RWC. Also check with the Road Authority in your state to see if the car has been reported stolen.

If you like the car and how it drives, it has a RWC, it checks out with the RAC and road authority it should be OK to buy. Also, check to see if it's been in an accident or not.
Thanks Mate, enjoy a Karma!
Old Jun 12th 2009, 12:23 pm
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

Be prepared to negotiate on price. I've found a lot of people put their car up for sale at a high price and then come down a fair bit. Seems people here don't mind if they have to wait weeks or months to sell, unless they've already got the RWC done on it, and then it's only valid for thirty days, so they'll need to be shifting it pretty quick.

Cars sold at auction or on ebay are exempt from having an RWC to sell. It's up to the new owner to get it through it's RWC within thirty days.

Also, don't forget the stamp duty on used cars, currently standing at 4% in Victoria. So for your $5k car, figure on paying the government $200 extra...
Old Jun 12th 2009, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

On landing in Australia i expect to, or will have to purchase a second hand car. Now here in the UK you can get a nice little runaround for around one thousand pounds;

Fiesta 1.25 Finnesse, twelve months MOT, 99 plate, two months tax, 70k (miles) on the clock, will last you five years, if you look after it?

Many cheers, Keith
Keith Moon? I used to know such a fellow who lives in Bristol...Not you, is it?

I am also looking to get my first Ozzie banger and have been looking to do so for the last three months!

I have been using these sites: http://www.carsales.com.au

and

http://www.tradingpost.com.au

Both allow you to filter by price and state!

Good luck hunting mate!
Old Jun 12th 2009, 3:51 pm
Banned

Cheers Guys, many thanks!

Have to admit, i will need a car within four weeks of arrival, do not want to spend any more than $4000.00, but for that, want the mechanics to work, do not care too much about looks.

Engine no bigger than a 1.5, what do you think my chances are!

Cheers Keith.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

Have to admit, i will need a car within four weeks of arrival, do not want to spend any more than $4000.00, but for that, want the mechanics to work, do not care too much about looks.

Cheers Keith.

I would say pretty good right now...I have seen some bangers under 5k and looke quite decent. There is also scope for haggling too!

Don't forget to budget for bit more as you will have to pay other charges.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 9:02 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Syedney
I would say pretty good right now...I have seen some bangers under 5k and looke quite decent. There is also scope for haggling too!

Don't forget to budget for bit more as you will have to pay other charges.
Cheers Syd, like the name BTW!

Cars in Oz, so expensive in comparison to the UK. Just hope the girls come cheaper!!!

Rock'n'Roll girls, when you get in my cab, you won't wanna get out!!!
Old Jun 13th 2009, 2:21 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers Keith.
Engine no bigger than 1.5. I think you might need to up that to 1.6. Don't think you can actually buy a 1.5 in Aus (joke). This is the land of V8s.

BTW, you are not going to get much for $4K. Probably something that's 20 years old.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 3:28 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Engine no bigger than 1.5. I think you might need to up that to 1.6. Don't think you can actually buy a 1.5 in Aus (joke). This is the land of V8s.

BTW, you are not going to get much for $4K. Probably something that's 20 years old.

..... and a couple of 100 000k's on the speedo.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 9:02 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by The Bloke
..... and a couple of 100 000k's on the speedo.

Negative vibes Men, i don't do negativity, no way, the car will cometh to Muhamid!!
Old Jun 13th 2009, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Just to clarify the difference, the RWC is a check that the car is fit to be on the road - like an MOT. However, unlike an MOT, which you have to have every year for a car 3 years old or over, the RWC is only required when you sell the car. Thus, if you, for example, saw a car on an auction site and decided to buy it, it could be ten years old or more, and never have had a RWC so could be in a shocking state. Perfectly feasible it could be a death trap yet still be legal to drive on the road, such is the absurdity of the road rules here in some states in Oz (although some have introduced an annual check).

Thus always make sure you get a RWC when you buy the car by buying from a dealer or privately and not through other means. It';s no guarantee the car is perfect, same as an MOT, but at least you know its unlikely to kill you.

Leave that to the other bad drivers....
Old Jun 13th 2009, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

you can buy a car without a rwc but only if it has been de-regoed (qld ) but you then need to get one when purchased, but would not suggest doing it. local newspapers and the trading post are the best places to look. have to say for 5 grand you will not be getting the best choices but you could get lucky. haggle all the way
Old Jun 14th 2009, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

scotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nice

I'm selling my car on trading post
Item TP002411517
Melbourne
If anyone wants to sort a family car out before they arrive.
I bought about 10 days after we arrived here it was the only thing that would fit all our suitcases!