Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying Second Hand Car in Gold Coast - What Do I Look For?

Buying Second Hand Car in Gold Coast - What Do I Look For?

Old May 27th 2008, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

jdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud of
Unhappy Buying Second Hand Car in Gold Coast - What Do I Look For?

We are arriving on 18th June and want to buy a car for ourselves and also for teaching our son to drive.

We have looked on a couple of websites, including eBay, but are unsure of the rules and regulations in Oz for buying a car.

Can someone please help? Basically, we need to know about registration, insurance, how easy it is to register, should we buy from private seller or dealer? Can we get something like an AA inspection to check that it isn't two cars welded together or stolen etc etc?

If there is anything that I've missed, please feel free to shout up.

Thanks very much.

Jo
x
Old May 28th 2008, 9:10 am
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Buying Second Hand Car in Gold Coast - What Do I Look For?

Originally Posted by jdraper
We are arriving on 18th June and want to buy a car for ourselves and also for teaching our son to drive.

We have looked on a couple of websites, including eBay, but are unsure of the rules and regulations in Oz for buying a car.

Can someone please help? Basically, we need to know about registration, insurance, how easy it is to register, should we buy from private seller or dealer? Can we get something like an AA inspection to check that it isn't two cars welded together or stolen etc etc?

If there is anything that I've missed, please feel free to shout up.

Thanks very much.

Jo
x
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ars+gold+coast

Last edited by temptininnit; May 28th 2008 at 9:16 am.
Old May 28th 2008, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jo - we are in a position to help you as we were in the same boat a couple of months ago - not sure if you'll do the same as us though. We have bought a couple of bangers off private sellers through carsales.com.au - there's a lot of choice on there.

When you buy a car privately you have to register it in your name within 14 days at QLD transport (we went to helensvale to do this) also, make sure the seller provides a safety certificate to show it's roadworthy as they need to see this to register it in your name (i think??)

They will take 3% of the purchase price from you at this point too - stamp duty (if you're getting driving licences sorted at the same time can work out to be an expensive day)

Insurance wise we've gone with budgetdirect who are online - we pay around $260 for our mondeo and $370 for our mitsubishi magna - fully comp for a year so not too bad - although we both have full NCD that they accepted from the UK.

You can get cheap cars out here if you're not bothered about ti looking good - we paid $4500 for our mondeo (1996!!) and $2500 for our magna (1998) (hailstone damaged) - runs a dream though...

So far so good and we've done over 10,000km in them so far

Rego is like car tax and can be done every 6 months or year - basically the car will have a rego sticker where the tax disc is in a uk car and has a number on tho show you which month of the year it runs out. We haven't had to renew ours yet but it can be done online.

Hope this helps, will have to get that barbie sorted out soon.

Last edited by sammyg; May 28th 2008 at 9:49 am.
Old May 28th 2008, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

DestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to all

Hi, we arrive the 11th so fab info Sammyg! Think we r reduced to bangers now too with the housing market/exchange rate too!
But can I ask do they have a log book the same as here, ie how do u know it is def the sellers car?
Thanks
Michelle
Old May 28th 2008, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

erm, pass!!

Sorry, both ours have got the owners manuals and service history books, but i haven't seen any log book as such (did see some advertised with log book though). The owner fills out a form which looks like a UK log book (sort of) and he keeps a bit and you give the other to QLD transport - so maybe that proves that you have bought the vehicle off the owner - i don't know, sorry...

Sure someone else does though
Old May 28th 2008, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

jdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud of

Thanks for that Sam.

Andrew is now 16 1/2 and can learn to drive !!!!!!!!!

We want something quite cheap (probably only about $2500 if we can get it)??

Changing the subject somewhat, we are thinking of going to the Surfers Paradise booze night on 18th June and were wondering whether we could take Andrew with us?? Would he be OK coming to have coke or whatever or should we leave him at home? I think its at Fishos??? Cheers mate.

Definitely have to organise something for BBQ - arrive on 18th June. PM me about that. Looking forward to seeing you again. xx

Jo
xx
Old May 28th 2008, 1:54 pm
Banned

Sooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really nice

http://carsguide.news.com.au

http://www.discountusedcars.com.au

http://www.carsales.com.au

Pick up a nice motor for £1000.00 or $2000.00

Good luck!
Old May 28th 2008, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Sooty and Sweep (cool name BTW)

Jo
x
Old Jun 1st 2008, 10:50 am
Just Joined

Oz-hole is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Buying Second Hand Car in Gold Coast - What Do I Look For?

So , is the safety certificate just for when buying/selling? Is there any annual
inspection like the M.O.T. in the UK?

If the Rego is just like a UK tax disc , is it just a mater of paying at renewal time or are there any conditions to be met like a roadworthy inspection?

Is third party person insurance included in the Rego. in QLD?

Basically I,m confused. Can anyone spell it out in Idiot proof terms?
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

sambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jdraper

Changing the subject somewhat, we are thinking of going to the Surfers Paradise booze night on 18th June and were wondering whether we could take Andrew with us?? Would he be OK coming to have coke or whatever or should we leave him at home? I think its at
Jo
xx

Hi Jo, I don't reckon Andrew will get in anywhere I'm afraid, especially Fishos, its all id at the door and I think most places you have to be 21 though don't quote me on it, but Fishos and anywere in surfers (except surf clubs) is a big no-no for <18. They don't even except the good old fake ids!
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, just bought a wee 'squib' yesterday from a private seller in the local paper. Got it for $1350 (ad was $1500) plent of cars around at this kinda price, like all cars, just your luck if they give any bother! Came with saftey certificate and 6 months rego. My mum n sister come over in a couple of weeks n got this instead of hiring something. The rego includes third party insurance cover which is great! When we went to transport office we said we'd paid $500 for the car (they don't ask for reciepts or anything) so only paid about $31 to transfer ($15 admin n the rest was the stamp duty thing).

So yeah, you can get wee bangers/squibs as cheap as you like over here too, though they will be older.

Mandy
Old Jun 4th 2008, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

DONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really nice

Hi I live on Pacific Pines
and relocate people from the UK ie find rentals etc, I know a guy who is a mechanic who buys from the auctions at cheaper prices than the dealers, he is more than happy to take you to the auctions with him for you to look yourself, you will get all the certificates required. if you would like any help pm me your details and I will have a chat with him for you.

Sarah x
Old Jun 4th 2008, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DONOVAN
Hi I live on Pacific Pines
and relocate people from the UK ie find rentals etc, I know a guy who is a mechanic who buys from the auctions at cheaper prices than the dealers, he is more than happy to take you to the auctions with him for you to look yourself, you will get all the certificates required. if you would like any help pm me your details and I will have a chat with him for you.

Sarah x

Hi Sarah

That would be brilliant - thanks for that. Have PM'd you.

Jo
x
Old Jun 12th 2008, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

DONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really nice

Just bumping this back to the top!!