British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Buying Return Tickets to Save Money ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/buying-return-tickets-save-money-106330/)

pread Jan 18th 2002 9:58 am

Out of interest, I looked up a one-way flight price in September from London to Melbourne on BA's website, as we intend to emigrate. They quoted over 2,300 quid. I then went back and checked a return flight price (returning in October), and was quoted a price of only 800 quid ! I was kind of expecting a higher price, but nothing like 3 times as much !

Now I'm sure BA aren't the cheapest out there, but does anyone know if there might be any ramifications if somebody bought a return flight with no intention of using the return ticket ? This is obviously a blatant rip off by the airline companies. I, and my old contracting agency have done this before in Europe, but the prices at stake are a little different in this case...

Jacqui Jan 18th 2002 12:29 pm

Hi, I've also been trying to get quotes for one-way tickets (London to Perth) for a family of five. I thought they probably wouldn't be half the price, but I was expecting to pay a lot less than the quotes we have had. The best we've had so far is from Austravel http://www.austravel.com. £490 per adult, £375 per child compared to return prices of £760 per adult and £500 per child.

When we were in Australia visiting last year, we stopped to look at some of the flight offers being advertised in travel agents' windows. I don't think we'll be visiting the UK for many years once we've gone, the prices were ridiculously high and I doubt if we could really afford for the whole family to come back for a visit. The flight prices to Singapore, Malaysia etc. weren't too bad though from Perth, these will be the holiday destinations to look forward to, so it's not all bad news!

pread Jan 18th 2002 1:46 pm

Buying Return Tickets to Save Money ?

Jacqui,

Thanks for the reply. I just checked out Austravel, and was quoted 462 quid one-way for a BA flight !

Keith Willshaw Jan 18th 2002 2:34 pm

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Hell just buy the return, what're they gonna do sue you for missing the flight ?

A ticket is a contract between you and the airline, the undertake to provide
transportation to you on the dates on the ticket and in return you pay them
the dough.

There's no obligation on you to ever use that return ticket. I've yet to see BA
dragiin passenger from home and forcing them to get onto planes :)

This happens all the time. I've had to fly from LA to New York and the one way quoted
was $1200 versus $297 return.

Guess which I bought ?

PS Talk to a good travel agent

STA or Trailfinders for a start. I got a return in Business Class for £2300 last year
never mind one way in economy.

Keith

Trevor Dd Jan 26th 2002 3:56 am

whilst you are technically "breaking your contract" with the airline by not using the
return part of an airline ticket...it happens so regularly that the airlines would
not be able to prosecute every instance. I had travel agency in USA for 15 years,
issued roundtrip tickets to clients with full knowledge they were only doing a
one-way...and never had any ramifications. I also never heard of the airlines taking
anyone to court over it. It is a practive very rampant in Europe where many one-ways
are ridicuoulsy higher than roundtrip fares.

Trevor

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Dave Noble Jan 26th 2002 9:12 am

If you are planning to emigrate, when you receive the pack telling you that you have
been successful, there will be ( or there used to be ) , information about a special
deal offered by Qantas for a one way fare that they offer to people using the
permanent residency visa for the 1st time. I recall the flight price being very good.

I would suggest checking your migratin pack and see if it is menioned in there, or
perhaps give Qantas a call.

Dave

On Sat, 26 Jan 2002 14:56:48 +1000, "Trevor DD"

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]>> Out of interest, I looked up a one-way flight price in September from London to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> Melbourne on BA's website, as we intend to emigrate. They quoted over 2,300 quid.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> I then went back and checked a return flight price (returning in October), and was[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> quoted a price of only 800 quid ! I was kind of expecting a higher price, but[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> nothing like 3 times as much ![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> Now I'm sure BA aren't the cheapest out there, but does anyone know if there might[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> be any ramifications if somebody bought a return flight with no intention of using[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> the return ticket ? This is obviously a blatant rip off by the airline companies.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> I, and my old contracting agency have done this before in Europe, but the prices[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> at stake are a little different in this case...[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> --[/usenetquote2]

>