Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying return tickets for a one-way trip

Buying return tickets for a one-way trip

Old Jun 28th 2009, 10:12 am
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of
Default Buying return tickets for a one-way trip

Since there is only a marginal difference in the cost of a return ticket from the UK to Oz versus a one-way ticket, is it not worth buying the return ticket even if you don't have any concrete plans to use the return leg? The idea would be that although you'd plan to sacrifice the return leg, it would still be there for you if the need arose - presuming you had the flexibility of changing the dates as needed.

- CDM
Old Jun 28th 2009, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Buying return tickets for a one-way trip

Originally Posted by CDM
Since there is only a marginal difference in the cost of a return ticket from the UK to Oz versus a one-way ticket, is it not worth buying the return ticket even if you don't have any concrete plans to use the return leg? The idea would be that although you'd plan to sacrifice the return leg, it would still be there for you if the need arose - presuming you had the flexibility of changing the dates as needed.

- CDM
Yes and no - some cheap tickets like that will charge you a lot to change, so if you book the return flight as far ahead as you can, then you still have to change it sometime and that costs. And it may cost a lot depending on the rules.

Plus, you still then have to get a one way back again (unless you are not coming back), and the cycle starts again.

I looked into this and in the long run it does not work out as the penalties etc they tie you into do not make it worth it... plus it means you have to come back with that airline at the time and if they happen to be very expensive at that time, you lose out massively...
Old Jun 28th 2009, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

barney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by CDM

- CDM
If you haven't validated your visa yet, you will get a larger luggage allowance but I don't think you get this on a return ticket. We will be returning to Australia so we booked return tickets with the latest date possible on the tickets. Not taking anything for granted this time and at least if we want to come back the tickets are already paid for.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

jillandsi will become famous soon enough

I did that, we booked with Emirates and they charged if you wanted to change the dates on the outbound flight but there wasn't any charge if we wanted to change the return date.
We did it initially because the house hadn't sold and it was meant to be a validation trip, but then after the flights were booked the house sold. Once we were in Perth we went to the office at the airport and they changed the dates for in 11 months time for no cost.
Although we didn't do it with that intention, if the price is not much different then I would look upon it as a bonus.
I would check when booking the tickets however because the cheaper tickets have absolutely no changes allowed on them.

Jillian