Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying property - notes of interest?

Buying property - notes of interest?

Old Sep 10th 2009, 2:07 am
BE Enthusiast

desperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of light
Default Buying property - notes of interest?

Just wondered if there was any equivalent in Australia to notes of interest in Scotland, where you can submit a note of interest on a property and then the vendor can't agree a sale until they've notified you of their intentions?

Would submitting an expression of interest give you the same right?
Old Sep 10th 2009, 2:59 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying property - notes of interest?

Originally Posted by desperatehousewife
Just wondered if there was any equivalent in Australia to notes of interest in Scotland, where you can submit a note of interest on a property and then the vendor can't agree a sale until they've notified you of their intentions?

Would submitting an expression of interest give you the same right?
No, I don't think there is anything similar here.

However, simply dropping a note in the vendor's letterbox would have exactly the same effect.

Think about it... Lets say you've got your house on the market, and one day you find a note saying that someone is interested in your property, please don't sell it until you've given them an opportunity....what are you gonna do? Of course you will contact them after someone else puts in an offer- to try and play them off against each other and increase the price.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

You could drop a note providing they do not have a selling agent with whom they have signed an agreement to sell their property.

If an agreement is in place does not matter how the property is sold the agent is entitled to his/her commission therefore I would recommend contact the agent not the vendor.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 3:14 am
BE Enthusiast

desperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by asprilla

However, simply dropping a note in the vendor's letterbox would have exactly the same effect.

Think about it... Lets say you've got your house on the market, and one day you find a note saying that someone is interested in your property, please don't sell it until you've given them an opportunity....what are you gonna do? Of course you will contact them after someone else puts in an offer- to try and play them off against each other and increase the price.
thats true
Old Sep 10th 2009, 3:22 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Petals
You could drop a note providing they do not have a selling agent with whom they have signed an agreement to sell their property.

If an agreement is in place does not matter how the property is sold the agent is entitled to his/her commission therefore I would recommend contact the agent not the vendor.
Yes, depending on what agreement is in place, the agent should receive some of the proceeds of the sale. But they don't always.

There is no law saying that you shouldn't contact a seller directly. The seller might simply refer you to their agent, or they might not. But at least if you drop a note in directly, you can be 100% certain that the seller will read it.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 3:47 am
BE Enthusiast

is an expression of interest not the same thing then?
Old Sep 10th 2009, 3:49 am
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

be wary of possible anti-gazumping laws if you're gonna play this game ..
Old Sep 10th 2009, 4:48 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

is an expression of interest not the same thing then?
No. If my house were up for sale and I got a handwritten note in my letterbox saying someone was interested I would think "fine, contact my agent". If someone else puts in an offer in the meantime before the person who put the note in my letterbox contacts my agent then I'm not going to go out of my way to contact them. If they were that serious about buying my property they would contact the agent and make an offer.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dorothy
No. If my house were up for sale and I got a handwritten note in my letterbox saying someone was interested I would think "fine, contact my agent". If someone else puts in an offer in the meantime before the person who put the note in my letterbox contacts my agent then I'm not going to go out of my way to contact them. If they were that serious about buying my property they would contact the agent and make an offer.
Think maybe theres some misunderstanding here - in Scotland we can submit a Note of Interest in a property, this is done via solicitors and gives an interested party the right to be notified should a closing date for offers be set it also means the vendor would be legally obliged to inform you if they were going to accept an offer.....it isn't simply a handwritten note.....thats why I wondered if expressions of interest gave you the same legal rights?
Old Sep 10th 2009, 6:52 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Think maybe theres some misunderstanding here - in Scotland we can submit a Note of Interest in a property, this is done via solicitors and gives an interested party the right to be notified should a closing date for offers be set it also means the vendor would be legally obliged to inform you if they were going to accept an offer.....it isn't simply a handwritten note.....thats why I wondered if expressions of interest gave you the same legal rights?
I don't think we have the same thing here. At least not in WA we don't. Here if a person is interested in a property they are expected to contact the agent to put in an offer on the property. Once the offer is accepted it is binding on both parties.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

I don't think we have the same thing here. At least not in WA we don't. Here if a person is interested in a property they are expected to contact the agent to put in an offer on the property. Once the offer is accepted it is binding on both parties.
Thanks Dorothy, agent knows we're interested, just stuck in limbo waiting to tie things up in the UK, thats why something like a note of interest would have been good as not in a position to offer yet
Old Sep 10th 2009, 7:05 am
Still alive

Thanks Dorothy, agent knows we're interested, just stuck in limbo waiting to tie things up in the UK, thats why something like a note of interest would have been good as not in a position to offer yet
We were in a similar situation about 2 years ago. We were really interested in a house here in WA but we didn't have the $$ for a deposit. The house ended up selling before we got a chance to put in an offer, but we looked at it as a case of it wasn't meant to be. In the end we built a house and I'm much happier in the new place than we would have been in the one we were looking to buy. Fingers crossed that it works out for you.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

We were in a similar situation about 2 years ago. We were really interested in a house here in WA but we didn't have the $$ for a deposit. The house ended up selling before we got a chance to put in an offer, but we looked at it as a case of it wasn't meant to be. In the end we built a house and I'm much happier in the new place than we would have been in the one we were looking to buy. Fingers crossed that it works out for you.
Exactly the same situation as us.....i know your right, what will be will be, just have a really good gut feel about this place......
Old Sep 10th 2009, 10:20 am
Account Open

Exactly the same situation as us.....i know your right, what will be will be, just have a really good gut feel about this place......
Don't worry - there will be better places just around the corner, i'm sure.

How many houses have you looked at so far?
Old Sep 10th 2009, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Don't worry - there will be better places just around the corner, i'm sure.

How many houses have you looked at so far?
I know....have only looked at a few...just I'm very impulsive by nature and instinct told me this house was the one, also its really unusual to find a house with a layout really suited to a large family....just a shame that I doubt the bank manager would agree....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.