Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying property in Australia

Buying property in Australia

Old Apr 5th 2008, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

virginiec will become famous soon enough
Default Buying property in Australia

Have just arrived in Australia, working on a 457 visa.

As work are providing me with a housing allowance I thought it would be better to buy a property here.

Are there any restrictions on a 457 holder buying property here? Can I buy investment properties as well?

What happens when I leave Australia??
Old Apr 5th 2008, 10:51 am
Living our life wherever

Location: came back to oz after moving back to uk but not settled here so uk here i come, last time im moving
Trevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Buying property in Australia

Hi
as you are on a 457 visa you can not buy a house until you have got approval from the FIRB and then you can only buy new or a house that a australian does not want, you will find it very difficult to buy an investment on a 457 if you have already got a house in oz
all the best
Old Apr 5th 2008, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

DO I get the 1st home buyers grant?
Old Apr 5th 2008, 11:09 am
Living our life wherever

Location: came back to oz after moving back to uk but not settled here so uk here i come, last time im moving
Trevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of light

no im sorry you dont
Old Apr 5th 2008, 11:09 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trevski
Hi
as you are on a 457 visa you can not buy a house until you have got approval from the FIRB and then you can only buy new or a house that a australian does not want, you will find it very difficult to buy an investment on a 457 if you have already got a house in oz
all the best
you can buy mine ,no australian wants it .
Old Apr 5th 2008, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

How much for it Trevski? Where is it?
Old Apr 5th 2008, 11:21 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by virginiec
DO I get the 1st home buyers grant?
Originally Posted by Trevski
no im sorry you dont
I don't know how true, contact the FIRB for clarification! ... but I was told if you bought a house, THEN became a PR, you can then apply for the grant!

As I say FIRB will confirm if this is true or not ...