Buying property

Old Dec 19th 2004, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

davedx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying property

Hey

I'm a Brit on the first part of a de-facto spouse visa, been in Australia since June. Have settled in pretty well here in Brisbane with my other half, and we're starting to consider buying a house. However, I read on a job related website that people on 'temporary visas' cannot buy property in Australia. Will that affect me? My visa is 'provisional', it's a two part thing requiring a similar process to the first part 2 years later... and a year and a half is potentially a long wait to start getting into the property market.

If I'm not allowed to, is it possible that my partner could buy a house, even if I'm on the higher income?

Thanks for any help
Old Dec 19th 2004, 12:34 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying property

Visit http://www.firb.gov.au
Old Dec 19th 2004, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

davedx is an unknown quantity at this point

Egads. Looks pretty hardcore. I guess I'll go for the joint tenant choice then - glad my partner is Aussie!

Cheers
Old Dec 19th 2004, 1:53 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

It looks to me, if I read this right, you should be ok as you would come under the exempt list???

Who is Exempt?
Exemptions include:

acquisitions by Australian citizens resident abroad;
acquisitions of property zoned residential by foreign nationals who hold permanent resident visas or hold, or who are eligible to hold, a 'special category visa' (eg a New Zealand citizen); and
foreign persons purchasing, as joint tenants, with their Australian citizen spouse property that is zoned residential.
Old Dec 19th 2004, 2:09 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davedx
Hey

I'm a Brit on the first part of a de-facto spouse visa, been in Australia since June. Have settled in pretty well here in Brisbane with my other half, and we're starting to consider buying a house. However, I read on a job related website that people on 'temporary visas' cannot buy property in Australia. Will that affect me? My visa is 'provisional', it's a two part thing requiring a similar process to the first part 2 years later... and a year and a half is potentially a long wait to start getting into the property market.

If I'm not allowed to, is it possible that my partner could buy a house, even if I'm on the higher income?

Thanks for any help
You're the same as me - except I am on the 2 year prov Spouse, and you are on the 2 yr Prov De Facto.

We ARE allowed to buy property and get mortgages, without it being referred to the FIRB, because we have Australian Spouses. Thats the easy bit!
The hard bit = unless you have a big deposit - is finding somone who will actually lend you a mortgage.

We have no big deposit, both being first time buyers, and cannot find anyone that will lend to us, purely because my visa hs the word "temporary" on it. The fact that I am maried to an Aussie who has lived in Qld all his life counts for nothing.

So go for it - good luck with finding a mortgage, but don't worry about the "temporary" bit - its one of those times when being married to an Aussie is useful!