British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Buying presents online for UK rellies? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/buying-presents-online-uk-rellies-337326/)

Larissa Nov 14th 2005 8:18 am

Buying presents online for UK rellies?

Hi guys
I've just had a look at argos online and feel totally uninspired - I want to buy something for my 3 year old niece and have it delivered to the house.
Does anyone else have any recommendations? Are some companies bothered if you don't have a UK address - if so, which ones?
Thanks
Larissa

Pollyana Nov 14th 2005 9:24 am

Re: Buying presents online for UK rellies?

Try www.amazon.co.uk :)

NIGENABBY Nov 14th 2005 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Larissa
Hi guys
I've just had a look at argos online and feel totally uninspired - I want to buy something for my 3 year old niece and have it delivered to the house.
Does anyone else have any recommendations? Are some companies bothered if you don't have a UK address - if so, which ones?
Thanks
Larissa

Also a favourite www.boots.com

Good 'ol boots the chemist, plus they gift wrap for £2.50 - only one charge and they have 3 for 2 on gifts.

Of course if they are kids there is always www.toysrus.co.uk

Have a happy Christmas

OriginalSunshine Nov 14th 2005 10:15 am

Hi guys
Thanks
Larissa

I use Amazon for pretty much everything, as very few companies recognise SEAsian addresses - in Australia you'd be ok for most UK companies. There's normally a scroll down list for addresses and we're never in that list of countries deemed acceptable. However www.amazon.co.uk does free delivery if you order above a certain price (quite low) and a wide range of goods including toys & electronics.

How about a DVD? or some kiddy toys?

Larissa Nov 14th 2005 10:19 am

Thanks guys, my mind went totally blank before! I have found a gorgeous prezzie on Amazon, just got to dig out those UK bank cards now... :D

ANA123 Nov 15th 2005 10:16 am

Heres a good site for grown up pressies (or a treat for yourself) delivery is free anywhere in the world, i use it a lot:

http://www.strawberrynet.com/main.as...et=shopByBrand

great bargains and loyalty discount the more you use them,
Michaela

annqldau Nov 15th 2005 10:19 am

Do relatives not get hit by customs...when I bought psp's from Canada got vat bills for 25 quid each few weeks down the line?

northernbird Nov 15th 2005 10:51 am

If you want to cop out on choosing pressies then opt for vouchers from nearly all high st stores delivered direct with a message of your choice.

www.voucherexpress.co.uk

I have used them heaps and they are great.

OriginalSunshine Nov 15th 2005 12:35 pm

Thanks guys, my mind went totally blank before! I have found a gorgeous prezzie on Amazon, just got to dig out those UK bank cards now... :D

Larissa - no need! The great thing about Amazon.uk is that as long as your billing address matches exactly the address that is on your credit card bill you can send a present to anyone anywhere else in the world (pretty much - except say Afghanistan, Iraq....) So if Oz cards are easier for you - use those.

OriginalSunshine Nov 15th 2005 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by annqldau
Do relatives not get hit by customs...when I bought psp's from Canada got vat bills for 25 quid each few weeks down the line?

not if you buy from a UK store and send to a UK address - basically if the store is in the same country as the delivery address then there is no need for customs to get involved.