Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

buying or to own a private plate in w.a.

buying or to own a private plate in w.a.

Old Apr 15th 2010, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default buying or to own a private plate in w.a.

I was wondering if many on here had a private number plate on there car from western australia.
If so what do they cost to get?Am i right in saying you pay for the plate and then pay each year to get it.
Is the cost of the plate vary on the numbers or letter etc used and how would i know what one would be etc.
If someone who lived in western australia had a plate and then moved to melbourne,i take they cant use it?as it has more letter in there w.a. one,could they keep it?would they need to pay the costs to keep it if they did,and can they sell it for any price they wished for?

Like in the uk someone if they have a rare plate they can sell this for an amount agreed by buyer,would this be the same in w.a.

As i plan on moving to w.a. in very near future there is this private plate i have seen i would love to have in advance if that person wants to part with it,i think he would as he no longer needs it or the letters are too much for melbourne plates.

I was wondering how i could go about getting this if this would not cost me an arm and leg,i do have a current uk private plate,so be nice to own one for over there too.

If its not possible for me to get one,could i have relatives get it for me until i did get there and then buy off them.
Just need some advice on this as if the guy sells it i might go for it if possible
Old Apr 15th 2010, 11:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: buying or to own a private plate in w.a.

Originally Posted by brian.w
I was wondering if many on here had a private number plate on there car from western australia.
If so what do they cost to get?Am i right in saying you pay for the plate and then pay each year to get it.
Is the cost of the plate vary on the numbers or letter etc used and how would i know what one would be etc.
If someone who lived in western australia had a plate and then moved to melbourne,i take they cant use it?as it has more letter in there w.a. one,could they keep it?would they need to pay the costs to keep it if they did,and can they sell it for any price they wished for?

Like in the uk someone if they have a rare plate they can sell this for an amount agreed by buyer,would this be the same in w.a.

As i plan on moving to w.a. in very near future there is this private plate i have seen i would love to have in advance if that person wants to part with it,i think he would as he no longer needs it or the letters are too much for melbourne plates.

I was wondering how i could go about getting this if this would not cost me an arm and leg,i do have a current uk private plate,so be nice to own one for over there too.

If its not possible for me to get one,could i have relatives get it for me until i did get there and then buy off them.
Just need some advice on this as if the guy sells it i might go for it if possible
Never really looked at the price , but the local rego office has heaps of examples on the wall -so they are easily obtained (if not taken already )
We tried to have the same plates as our old NSW rego but they had already been taken so just took a bogan (proudly ) RO (Rockingham ) plate.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

So i take it many on here from wa dont have private plates then?Just wanted to get some answers to my questions i asked in the post,also when i have seen a plate and its in retention by the owner does this mean hs still owns it or has it?
If he does and sold it to me,could he name his price for it,just like they can do when they own one in uk,just trying to get this plate from guy if i can or one very much like it and if i can from the uk to keep for when i get over there and buy my car.
I do have cousin over there that could deal with it for me,if i cant,but do i need to have a car etc to buy one?Surely these can be purchased as a gift?and surely you dont have to design how it looks when you buy it?just want the word,design and how i want it to look is something i would prefer to look into when i was there and had the car to know which would best suit it,any advise on this would be great.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 3:32 pm
nail banger

ivanjjordan will become famous soon enoughivanjjordan will become famous soon enough

had mine a while now
Attached Thumbnails buying or to own a private plate in w.a.-280220101694.jpg  
Old Apr 16th 2010, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ivanjjordan
had mine a while now
nice one.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 7:15 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

had mine a while now
WTF is a pome? your plate is lame.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 12:28 am
nail banger

ivanjjordan will become famous soon enoughivanjjordan will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by renth
u have to b a skippy u retard hahahahahaha
Old Apr 17th 2010, 9:27 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

had mine a while now

Chavs rule!!
Old Apr 17th 2010, 9:34 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Try this. Should answer all your questions.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Try this. Should answer all your questions.
dont think it does,my questions are not really answered on that site,just hoping someone in wa could help me out on how it works and also if say someone has one of these still living in uk and what they did or went about it.

Last edited by brian.w; Apr 17th 2010 at 10:10 am.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brian.w
So i take it many on here from wa dont have private plates then?Just wanted to get some answers to my questions i asked in the post,also when i have seen a plate and its in retention by the owner does this mean hs still owns it or has it?
If he does and sold it to me,could he name his price for it,just like they can do when they own one in uk,just trying to get this plate from guy if i can or one very much like it and if i can from the uk to keep for when i get over there and buy my car.
I do have cousin over there that could deal with it for me,if i cant,but do i need to have a car etc to buy one?Surely these can be purchased as a gift?and surely you dont have to design how it looks when you buy it?just want the word,design and how i want it to look is something i would prefer to look into when i was there and had the car to know which would best suit it,any advise on this would be great.
In short the answer is yes
specifically you can buy a private plate from anyone at their price -provided
its rego is paid every year otherwise like any other plate it will lapse.

You can also design your own plate ( the range is huge )
Old Apr 17th 2010, 1:11 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Not some thing i would advertise...........mm
Old Apr 17th 2010, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mulben
In short the answer is yes
specifically you can buy a private plate from anyone at their price -provided
its rego is paid every year otherwise like any other plate it will lapse.

You can also design your own plate ( the range is huge )
So what do you mean to own a private plate its rego needs to be paid each year??

What if i dont have a car to put it on and i only just want the plate,just like if someone was to buy me a plate as a gift.

I know i am in uk,but just cause i own my private plate does not mean it has to be on car i can still own it and sell it if need be,so i was wondering cant i buy or get a w.a. plate and say keep it in storeage until i am ready for it?I am sure i seen something about storeage for a fee per year.

Bottom line is i am coming to perth in very near future,fancy buying a private plate in advance or have someone get me one i know thats living there and i pay them and just keep it until i am there and have a car and get this on new car.

I hope to buy it from someone who has it already and is in retention,is that he still owns has it?or not for sale or too expensive then to get one very near to it.

I was told that i can get the same one as long as its a different colour,is this right i took it that if a plate with that name was taken you could not get same one again? say it was for example elvis which its not and somone had it,can i have same number but different colour?

The wa site is not like dvla in uk where you can enter a plate search and it tell ya if available.

The site does not really cover the questions i am trying to ask about buying and owning one and costs involved and if i can buy one now while being in uk to use later or buy from someone that owns it already,even if i have to get a cousin to buy and deal for me then good,but wondered if a car was needed before one could be purchased.

Surely you dont pay rego each year on top of the cost of plate,if the pate is not going to be on a car
Old Apr 17th 2010, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

Condor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant future

I'm an Aussie and have a couple of private plates
If so what do they cost to get?
They vary in cost depending on what they are made of (metal or polycarbonate) and that also determines how many letters. Nine spaces is the maximum.
Am i right in saying you pay for the plate and then pay each year to get it.
No, just the first payment applies. No further payments.
See above.
If someone who lived in western australia had a plate and then moved to melbourne,i take they cant use it?
No. Plates from one State cannot be used in another.
as it has more letter in there w.a. one,could they keep it?
Although you "own" it and can sell it, the plates ultimately belong to the State. If they are not on a vehicle they need to be surrendered.
You can't keep them, for example, displayed on the wall behind your bar. They must be on a vehicle or kept, on your behalf, by the Licensing Centre.

would they need to pay the costs to keep it if they did,and can they sell it for any price they wished for?
You can sell them but they must stay on a vehicle registered in WA.

If it is already a WA plate and he agrees to sell, then that's OK. But if it's a plate from Victoria, too bad so sad.
It would be easiest to get your rellies to buy it and then buy it from them, provided it is a WA plate.
You can't have one with the same letters but a different colour. You also won't get ones that are vulgar or worse. If the Licensing people consider it too similar to an existing one they won't allow it. You can only find out if what you want is taken by ringing the Licensing Centre and getting them to look it up.

Hope all that helps. Cheers from OZ.

Here's mine:
Attached Thumbnails buying or to own a private plate in w.a.-gonebus1.jpg  

Last edited by Condor of Bermuda; Apr 17th 2010 at 2:42 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Surely you dont pay rego each year on top of the cost of plate,if the pate is not going to be on a car
No, just the first payment applies. No further payments.
Just to clear this up a bit
You buy the plate and provided its on a registered vehicle ( we pay rego every year ) you are the owner of the plate.
Stop paying rego. and you have to surrender the plate.

The only way to have a -for want of a better word - wall display , is by" "loosing" a plate and purchasing a replacement. Obviously no one would do this

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.