Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

buying a new plasma

buying a new plasma

Old Jan 6th 2013, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default buying a new plasma

Im looking at a panasonic 50 inch tv right now,currently have 42inch samsung to take to oz with me would it be best getting one over there or take one with me as its a good price,in perth what options are there to get this over there and who gives best deals online and stores
Old Jan 6th 2013, 1:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: buying a new plasma

You realize that you may find your UK tv won't work in Aus unless attached via cable service or set top box, don't you? Wait until you get there then they'll be sure to work.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brian.w
Im looking at a panasonic 50 inch tv right now,currently have 42inch samsung to take to oz with me would it be best getting one over there or take one with me as its a good price,in perth what options are there to get this over there and who gives best deals online and stores
Best to get it once you're over there, but avoid big stores like Harvey Norman and Dick Smith as they tend to be more expensive. Online stores like Big Brown Box can be useful.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Best to get it once you're over there, but avoid big stores like Harvey Norman and Dick Smith as they tend to be more expensive. Online stores like Big Brown Box can be useful.
But many folk bring there tvs over dont they and say they all work fine more so new models,so is it not a good idea buying a new one before leaving?so anyone recommend good sites or site that compares price so you can pick from cheap to most ecpensive also are these sites perth based or do most online stores ship all over oz,im very tempted to take one from uk,can get a 50inch smart panasonic 3d tv with 2 pairs of glasses for 565 pounds dont think i can get like for like in ox
Old Jan 6th 2013, 7:06 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

But many folk bring there tvs over dont they and say they all work fine more so new models,so is it not a good idea buying a new one before leaving?so anyone recommend good sites or site that compares price so you can pick from cheap to most ecpensive also are these sites perth based or do most online stores ship all over oz,im very tempted to take one from uk,can get a 50inch smart panasonic 3d tv with 2 pairs of glasses for 565 pounds dont think i can get like for like in ox
Did a quick google for you and found

http://www.myshopping.com.au/PR--427...5_51_Plasma_TV

Cheapest I could see was $699 so cheaper than the one you priced but didn't look at make or supplier. Have you tried google?
Old Jan 6th 2013, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

But many folk bring there tvs over dont they and say they all work fine more so new models,so is it not a good idea buying a new one before leaving?
TVs are one of the things that can often be found cheaper in Australia when compared like to like (i.e. same model, allowing for differences made for region of world they're sold in). Shipping may also cause damage, insurance could take a while, and you would be without a tv for some time. Also when shipping your goods to Australia you need to declare anything owned for less than 12 months - customs may not take any interest, however on the other hand they might and charge you.

For a tv, I'd say wait until you're here and look on sites like the one I mentioned (Big Brown Box) for an idea of cost - remembering to compare like for like.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Bringing a TV you already own is one thing. Buying a new one to bring is quite another. Wait until you get here, plenty of TVs available and prices look very reasonable.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Looks like guys you have made my mind up for me,i was very close to getting one as very temped on a deal here in uk,but did a quick look and they are not priced that bad,they must be dropping over there as they are here in the uk.
So if i notice or see a model here in the uk that ticks the boxes or i would like how do you get like for like,as they seem to have different numbers or letters over there,or very much the same but some letters being different.and i see one model i had been looking to get in the uk ended with b and one in australia ended in a,this would not be the country would it? britian and australia and of the letters at the front was slightly different was different again is this a different tv.
Its like cars over there i have a vauxhall its called holden over there and i tried to see what my car would cost over there it was very like,well infact the same apart from engines size being bigger over there.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 10:20 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Model numbers will be slightly different to meet the specific requirements of each country - don't worry about it. Just list the requirements you have for selecting a unit and then find a model which matches your requirements.

Very little (if any) TV over here is broadcast in 3D, so unless you have a collection of 3D movies on DVD or Bluray, don't bother with 3D TV's at present, they are not worth the extra.

Do you really want a plasma? These days most sets seem to be LED LCD technology with plasma slipping out of the market: it used to be that LCD sets were only made in the smaller sizes, but now they are available right across the range.

Try Kogan - I have no personal knowledge of their quality but they seem to be getting a reasonable reputation.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 10:23 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like guys you have made my mind up for me,i was very close to getting one as very temped on a deal here in uk,but did a quick look and they are not priced that bad,they must be dropping over there as they are here in the uk.
So if i notice or see a model here in the uk that ticks the boxes or i would like how do you get like for like,as they seem to have different numbers or letters over there,or very much the same but some letters being different.and i see one model i had been looking to get in the uk ended with b and one in australia ended in a,this would not be the country would it? britian and australia and of the letters at the front was slightly different was different again is this a different tv.
Its like cars over there i have a vauxhall its called holden over there and i tried to see what my car would cost over there it was very like,well infact the same apart from engines size being bigger over there.
Ignore the model numbers as they are likely to be country, or area specific. Just compare the specifications. Most of the big manufacturers are available here, so Samsung, Panasonic, LG etc.

Just one piece of advice. If you have a slightly older model of blu-ray or dvd player, check that you can make it region free for dvds, or dvds you purchase in Oz won't be playable on it. If not, I would wait to buy one here as like TVs, they are very reasonable. We picked up a Phillips Smart Blu-Ray for less than $100 and it is now region free for dvds
Old Jan 6th 2013, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Did a quick google for you and found

http://www.myshopping.com.au/PR--427...5_51_Plasma_TV

Cheapest I could see was $699 so cheaper than the one you priced but didn't look at make or supplier. Have you tried google?
not a bad site this for comparing prices and getting a feel for prices,there is so much stuff on that i could search for and there are bits and bobs i could be done with replacing etc but i did wonder if there anything over there i should consider buying and take over with me as way expensive over there,i hear white goods is but when i did a quick look its not that bad,but i dont know any makes of some stuff.

Anyone got a list of good name brands in australia on various household items as there maybe some crap things on some of these site most would keep away from.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 12:59 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

For white goods and general household appliances try Appliances On Line (I've just noticed they do TVs as well, which they didn't use to do). In most places they do free delivery and will install the appliance as well as long as no fixed plumbing or wiring is involved.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
For white goods and general household appliances try Appliances On Line (I've just noticed they do TVs as well, which they didn't use to do).
Appliances Online own Big Brown Box I believe.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 11:41 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

My experience of Appliances online is that their prices can often be beaten by your local Retravision, Good Guys, Kambos etc. This has been the case for the last 2 appliances that I have bought - a large fridge and a dishwasher.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

I may be talking rubbish but the heat a plasma puts out might be the last thing you need here on occasions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.