Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying New Furniture

Buying New Furniture

Old Dec 27th 2007, 7:39 pm
Professional Dreamer!

Big Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really nice
Default Buying New Furniture

Hoping to return to Oz next year but in need of new furniture. Should we wait and buy new in Oz and save on the removal costs? I have seen a few things in the sales which I'm tempted to buy.
BS
Old Dec 28th 2007, 8:47 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying New Furniture

We're having big trouble finishing furnishing our house: there's a lot of stuff around but so much of it is Chinese rubbish or else expensive and not anything like the right styles. If you see something you like I would go for it!
Old Dec 28th 2007, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

pominNoosa will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Big Sky
Hoping to return to Oz next year but in need of new furniture. Should we wait and buy new in Oz and save on the removal costs? I have seen a few things in the sales which I'm tempted to buy.
BS
When I left blighty I couldn't justify the cost of storage or transporting my furniture so I decided to sell most of it and hang on to the sentimental bits. I do regret this though as I only got peanuts for stuff I'd paid a lot of money for. And I really wish I'd brought my appliances with me, eg washing machine, vaccuum cleaner, microwave, etc.

I'm a self confessed ebay fiend so I've bought virtually my entire Australian household 2nd hand. My view is that if I ever need to scoot back to the UK I can probably recoup my costs by flogging it all back on ebay!

Have found some good stuff at cheap prices cos the average aussie is fairly new to the game.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 9:31 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

What looks good in a UK house looks like dolls furniture over here. Rather than MDF you can have solid wood at a reasonable price. So why buy in the UK and risk shippers ruining it (I speak from experience)?
Old Dec 28th 2007, 9:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Brought nothing and don't regret it at all. I have filled my house here with furniture for much less than I would have paid for it in the UK (don't forget to add on about $8 - 9k for shipping on top!).

Some really good deals to be had here if you look for them (and haggle lots )
Old Dec 28th 2007, 10:18 am
Kingscliff NSW/QLD border

the plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to all

you might also be lumbered with the cost of getting it sprayed when it arrives at the local port.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 12:46 pm
Account Closed

Machiavelli is an unknown quantity at this point

We brought the stuff we loved. It was worth the cost of shipping. We've had countless offers from people to buy it from us here. No way! The quality here is much less than UK and more expensive for sofas, dining suites etc.

We've bought most of the stuff we didn't ship from Ebay. It will see us through until we make up the money it cost to get us here. Then we'll buy top quality stuff imported from Europe.

One thing I woud advise anyone to do, is bring all the "little stuff". That's what costs the most when you're setting up home again.

M
Old Dec 29th 2007, 12:41 pm
Professional Dreamer!

Big Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really nice

Thanks for your replies. We've now gone ahead and bought some new furniture and will take the risk of damage when shipping it over. We bought with Oz in mind and it should look okay in the kind of house we plan to purchase.
Cheers everyone.
BS