Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying new car - which extra's to consider (tinting)

Buying new car - which extra's to consider (tinting)

Old Oct 4th 2007, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

gidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud of
Default Buying new car - which extra's to consider (tinting)

We have just paid a deposit on our new Honda CRV which we will be picking up when we arrive in early December. Are there any options we should consider with relation to living in a (hopefully) warmer, sunnier climate? I'm thinking window tinting etc? We have gone for Metallic paint, roof rack and ball hitch.

Thanks in advance
Old Oct 4th 2007, 7:17 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying new car - which extra's to consider (tinting)

Originally Posted by gidxg03
We have just paid a deposit on our new Honda CRV which we will be picking up when we arrive in early December. Are there any options we should consider with relation to living in a (hopefully) warmer, sunnier climate? I'm thinking window tinting etc? We have gone for Metallic paint, roof rack and ball hitch.

Thanks in advance
Window tinting is essential IMO - definitely get that. Headlight and bonnet protectors are good too. I'd get slimline windshields as well.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

gidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Window tinting is essential IMO - definitely get that. Headlight and bonnet protectors are good too. I'd get slimline windshields as well.
What level of tinting should I get? Any recommendations?
Old Oct 4th 2007, 7:46 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I have not got a clue.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 7:46 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

As dark as the law allows - trust me, it's a godsend!! Oh, and all the things Amazulu recommended as well! If you are gonna be doing any sort of Bush driving, I'd also recommend a nudge bar, a long range radio, a 12v fridge for the boot..............the list could go on and on!
Old Oct 4th 2007, 7:49 am
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute

different states have different legal requirements for strength of tint.

take advice from your dealer and go for the darkest permitted.....stops you sweating like a boiled ham and better fuel economy as air con. doesn't have to be on 'turbo boost' just to keep car cool.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 10:17 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

We have a Kia Sorento with very dark tinting, but I find it a big disadvantage at night. It gets very dark, very quickly down under, and we live in the hills which doesnt help.

Tinted windows are fine, but but depends on where you are living as well.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 10:36 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks in advance
Paper bag?
Old Oct 4th 2007, 10:36 am

Simba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks in advance
We have a Mazda CX-7 with the darkest legal tint which they called T20
Attached Thumbnails Buying new car - which extra's to consider (tinting)-camera-pics-280907-036.jpg  
Old Oct 4th 2007, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Paper bag?
Old Oct 4th 2007, 10:42 am

Didn't see the Top Gear episode where Richard Hammond had to drive around town in a car he didn't like then?

Just joshing with you, hope the hairdressing is going well
Old Oct 4th 2007, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Didn't see the Top Gear episode where Richard Hammond had to drive around town in a car he didn't like then?

Just joshing with you, hope the hairdressing is going well
and what do you drive Vim
Old Oct 4th 2007, 10:49 am

and what do you drive Vim
I drive a 2000 Nissan Pulsar that needs SERIOUS encouragement to get up hills when the air-con is on (but is great as a family car) and a 1971 MGB ... in roughly equal measure.

The Nissan has just cost $1400 in servicing and I SWEAR it is slower than before

At least it ain't one of those Suzuki Vitaras ... Jeez, my mate had TWO one after the other ... needed a degree in Origami to put the roof up ...
Old Oct 4th 2007, 5:02 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Not sure of the tinting regs in OZ but we have 30% legal maximum in Dubai which you can see through at night. If you have 3M tint this doesn't fad over a 2 year period. Had it renewed last year with a cheaper tint and it has faded but then I don't like driving with tinted windows very much at night.

Some of the locals have such dark tinting (illegaly but no one tsakes any notoce) that they have to put their windows down at junctions to be able to see the oncoming traffic.

Tinting definitely keeps the car cooler. One thing I did notice the absence of was a dark strip across the top of the windsceen I would have thought that was essential, it is here, it stops you squinting - helps with the crows feet.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 5:56 pm
Account Closed

Scott will become famous soon enough

see if they will throw one of these in

maybe not a deal clincher but its nice to have one

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.