Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying a new car in Australia - what are the costs?

Buying a new car in Australia - what are the costs?

Old Aug 16th 2006, 3:31 pm
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Buying a new car in Australia - what are the costs?

Hello

We will be in Oz in three weeks time!!!! I can't wait (although house sale/copmpletion is slowly grinding to a holt and I am loosing my patience with our solicitor ).

We have been looking at lots of website to try and get the prices for 1 or maybe 2 new cars. I have a few questions with regards to what hidden charges there are:

1. We are looking at RRP, will we pay less on the forecourt like we do in the UK or is the RRP what you pay?
2.We have to register it and that includes 3rd party insurance, I have heard rego is about $350??
3. Insurance - same as here I guess
4. Do we then pay GST on top of the RRP price?

Is there anything else we should be adding on? Some cars (Nissan Pathfinder and Toyota Yaris and Rav4) are so much cheaper than here - are we missing something?
Thanks
Old Aug 16th 2006, 3:46 pm
bromley to brisbane

ClareBear is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Buying a new car in Australia - what are the costs?

Originally Posted by Vernons
Hello

We will be in Oz in three weeks time!!!! I can't wait (although house sale/copmpletion is slowly grinding to a holt and I am loosing my patience with our solicitor ).

We have been looking at lots of website to try and get the prices for 1 or maybe 2 new cars. I have a few questions with regards to what hidden charges there are:

1. We are looking at RRP, will we pay less on the forecourt like we do in the UK or is the RRP what you pay?
2.We have to register it and that includes 3rd party insurance, I have heard rego is about $350??

Is there anything else we should be adding on? Some cars (Nissan Pathfinder and Toyota Yaris and Rav4) are so much cheaper than here - are we missing something?
Thanks
Hiya
We got caught out with this when we ordered during our validation. The RRP and "on the road" price are generally a few grand apart - for a Honda Jazz or Civic its about $3,000 - 2% stamp duty, delivery fee of $1,995, $257 rego, $302 CTP insurance (no idea what that is, sorry!)
Still, cars seem to be much cheaper there and second hand ones hold their value so we decided to take the plunge and go for a new one. Think it might be because they're not made in Europe?
Good luck!
Old Aug 16th 2006, 6:01 pm
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ClareBear
Hiya
We got caught out with this when we ordered during our validation. The RRP and "on the road" price are generally a few grand apart - for a Honda Jazz or Civic its about $3,000 - 2% stamp duty, delivery fee of $1,995, $257 rego, $302 CTP insurance (no idea what that is, sorry!)
Still, cars seem to be much cheaper there and second hand ones hold their value so we decided to take the plunge and go for a new one. Think it might be because they're not made in Europe?
Good luck!

Did you pay gst on top? What is the delivery fee? Is it always $1995. Wow quite a different price than the RRP isn't it. Did you pay RRP from the dealer or was it a bit cheaper like it is in the UK, never really paying a list price with deals.

Thanks
Old Aug 16th 2006, 7:47 pm
bromley to brisbane

ClareBear is on a distinguished road

Did you pay gst on top? What is the delivery fee? Is it always $1995. Wow quite a different price than the RRP isn't it. Did you pay RRP from the dealer or was it a bit cheaper like it is in the UK, never really paying a list price with deals.

Thanks
I could be wrong but I think there's just the one tax (stamp duty) on our deal. The delivery fee is probably standard for Honda (on printed sheet they gave us), but would imagine won't differ hugely between dealers. Unfortunately we couldn't get any money off - theres a 3 month waiting list so they're still going at full price
It's a whole new world out there!!
Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

Thanks

Hi there. I've just bought a new Toyota 5 door Yaris (manual) and after a bit of haggling and playing one dealership off against 2 or 3 others, I got it for $16,750 on the road, and this included a few extras, like car mats, scuff guard and mud guards. Also got 12 months fully comp. insurance through them as well for $364.00.
Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:32 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

Thanks
Just a quick note about Rego.... Ours was $366 and does include 3rd party insurance, but only damage to their body... not the Ferrari they might be driving!

:-)
Old Aug 16th 2006, 11:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

[Hi,

I just got a new Mitsubishi Outlander. They have dropped the retail price to $27990 but then the extra costs are dealer delivery $995, rego $495 (for 1 year, approx. 1/2 this for 6 mths) stamp duty was $1312 (you can go on the vehicle licensing website to work out what percentage it is, I think it was about 4.5%). I ended up sitting there for 2 hours blagging it and got alloys and loads of other extras worth about $2000 and only paid $25000 and my old Nissan Maxima (which they only valued at $5000). It ended up that the total price would have been about $33000, so I got a good deal. Hope this helps. I would recommend this garage, DVG in Wangara (Perth).

Jo
Old Aug 17th 2006, 4:47 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Buying a new car in Australia - what are the costs?

Some cars (Nissan Pathfinder and Toyota Yaris and Rav4) are so much cheaper than here - are we missing something?
Thanks
Work this out!

the Nissan Pathfinder sold in Oz is built on the same production line as the Nissan Pathfinder sold in the UK - the production line is in Spain!!!

The Pathfinder in Oz is built to a different (I think better) spec than in the UK but it is essentially the same car.

Buzzy
Old Aug 17th 2006, 5:23 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Work this out!

the Nissan Pathfinder sold in Oz is built on the same production line as the Nissan Pathfinder sold in the UK - the production line is in Spain!!!

The Pathfinder in Oz is built to a different (I think better) spec than in the UK but it is essentially the same car.

Buzzy
The D40 Navara is based on the Pathfinder platform & is also built in Spain. It's cheaper here than in the UK too but is not as well spec'ed as the UK version.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 8:18 am
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Originally Posted by clougherty family
[Hi,

I just got a new Mitsubishi Outlander. They have dropped the retail price to $27990 but then the extra costs are dealer delivery $995, rego $495 (for 1 year, approx. 1/2 this for 6 mths) stamp duty was $1312 (you can go on the vehicle licensing website to work out what percentage it is, I think it was about 4.5%). I ended up sitting there for 2 hours blagging it and got alloys and loads of other extras worth about $2000 and only paid $25000 and my old Nissan Maxima (which they only valued at $5000). It ended up that the total price would have been about $33000, so I got a good deal. Hope this helps. I would recommend this garage, DVG in Wangara (Perth).

Jo

That sounds like a great deal. Did you have to pay GST on the price as well or are we just looking at stamp duty, rego, insurance and delivery???
Old Aug 17th 2006, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassie
Hi there. I've just bought a new Toyota 5 door Yaris (manual) and after a bit of haggling and playing one dealership off against 2 or 3 others, I got it for $16,750 on the road, and this included a few extras, like car mats, scuff guard and mud guards. Also got 12 months fully comp. insurance through them as well for $364.00.
Well that's interesting. We are also looking for a 5 door Yaris and have been quoted nearer $20,000!!

Which garage did you get it from and what model is it?
Old Aug 17th 2006, 8:35 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Work this out!

Buzzy
I think my hubby will disagree on the spec he says UK one had more on it than the AU one.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 8:41 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by annqldau
I think my hubby will disagree on the spec he says UK one had more on it than the AU one.
Hubby says UK one has Sat Nav on the T spec as standard but doesn't here. The AU one doesn't have RDS Radio as it hasn't happened here yet... .
Old Aug 17th 2006, 9:03 am
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Originally Posted by annqldau
Hubby says UK one has Sat Nav on the T spec as standard but doesn't here. The AU one doesn't have RDS Radio as it hasn't happened here yet... .

Hi we like the look of the pathfinder. Have been looking at the new ones in UK garages (trying to pass the time before we go!!!). I was wondering if I could be really nosy and ask what you paod for the car, stamp duty, rego, delivery and anything else I have forgotten. We are heading to QLD and will be looking at the middle spec or the T spec. Thanks
Old Aug 17th 2006, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

can't remember the breakdown exactly but...

new 5 door astra
metallic paint
alloys
power pack (electric windows and something else - can't remember)
whole incar protection (stains and wearing etc)
paint protection
chip protection
darkest legal window tint with protection (cancer council endorsed stuff)
rego tax warranty etc

$25k on the road

we were considering 4wd for the dogs... but with the price of petrol we're bloomin glad we didn't!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.