Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying a new car in Australia.

Buying a new car in Australia.

Old May 18th 2014, 11:02 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a new car in Australia.

This is a beauty
Old May 18th 2014, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Why do people always say things like this, the weather being so crap and spend most of it's life in the garage ? .
Because it's true.

Originally Posted by ABCD......
Typical conversion costs range from $2,000 to $3,950 depending on the type of vehicle and type of system fitted.
http://www.autogassystems.com.au/faqs/

LPG Vehicle Conversion Grant
There are two different grants available, subject to meeting all eligibility criteria:
  • $1,000 for the LPG conversion of a used, registered vehicle completed between 1 July 2012 and 30 June 2014; or
  • $2,000 for the purchase of a new vehicle fitted with LPG before first registration, completed by 30 June 2014.
This includes vehicles fitted with LPG at the time of manufacture, and vehicles fitted with LPG after manufacture but before first registration.
http://www.ausindustry.gov.au/progra...s/default.aspx

From 1 July 2011, LPG Vehicle Scheme claims are capped at 25,000 eligible claims in each financial year, for the duration of the scheme to 30 June 2014.
Should the cap be reached before the end of a financial year, application processing will continue, and eligible claims will be paid in the following financial year.
Claims can be lodged up to 12 months from the date of conversion or the date a new vehicle is bought.
http://www.humanservices.gov.au/cust...vehicle-scheme

That's super! Thanks for that.
Old May 18th 2014, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
This is a beauty

Yes it is. Nice Colour too

The husbands not convinced about me buying an old Ford, but I haven't given up yet.
Old May 18th 2014, 10:04 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
Yes it is. Nice Colour too
Since I posted the link it's gone from $3000 and something to > $15000. I think I'll stop bidding

The husbands not convinced about me buying an old Ford, but I haven't given up yet.
What colour do you plan to get?
Old May 18th 2014, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Since I posted the link it's gone from $3000 and something to > $15000. I think I'll stop bidding

What colour do you plan to get?
I know, I've been watching the price go up too!

Red and black are my favourite colours but I'm not in a position to be fussy.
Old May 18th 2014, 10:18 pm
Banned

I know, I've been watching the price go up too!

Red and black are my favourite colours but I'm not in a position to be fussy.
I'm sure you'll work out a way to get what you want

Old May 19th 2014, 2:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Chris I would say that older UK cars are either restored or were well-looked after - and the more classic the car the more likely it was looked after (or restored). A UK classic will often have rust spots unseen or unnoticed. Rust simply is not really an issue in Australia.

The reality though is that dumping salt on roads is an endeavour that will effect cars which even salt-air around Australian coasts can not replicate. Rust-proofing is significantly better now of course.

We have an old Falcon and on a run it does not use a lot of fuel.
Ours is probably the last in the village and it is quite tatty as the UV has got to it over the last 10 years - it was parked with the bonnet up into the sun. Apart from that it has been our most reliable and least expensive car - yes we did the head about 5 years ago. We also could not have done without the large boot so am glad we did not buy a small Jap car only to have replaced it when the family got bigger.

I would not buy another one now as we need 4wd just to park in country properties and in houses - no joke- (so we will get a CRV sized car next) but there are so many of Falcons and Commodores that you can get a bargain. Great for families with 2 kids who want to tow and cruise around on highways and country roads. The latest Commodores are also extremely good-looking cars in my opinion - best in class infact.
Old May 19th 2014, 5:56 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Whwn buying a 2nd hand car avoid the Bogan Yank wrecks: the Falcon and Commodore - especially those converted to that excuse of a fuel, LPG

Get a good 2nd hand Golf/Mazda 6 etc diesel - so a well built German or Japanese car with real fuel economy, range, power, handling etc

Sorted
Old May 19th 2014, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by spuddyo
Another reason cars here hold their value is new car 'vanity'. In the UK you can see from the Registration number how old the vehicle is, in Australia you can't. Your neighbours BMW might be 6 years old, or 2 years old - you would never know. Less reason to want to upgrade and keep up with the Jones's.
But you can tell from the registration plate the age of the car, so I am not sure that this idea stands up.
Old May 19th 2014, 9:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Whwn buying a 2nd hand car avoid the Bogan Yank wrecks: the Falcon and Commodore - especially those converted to that excuse of a fuel, LPG

Get a good 2nd hand Golf/Mazda 6 etc diesel - so a well built German or Japanese car with real fuel economy, range, power, handling etc

Sorted
I would prefer European, Zulu, but have more than 2 kids, and the Yank cars may suit some people as they are big cars - ie to take 3 child seats in a row.
Again, we were suprised how few sedans can easily take 3 seats.

Originally Posted by Icecube
But you can tell from the registration plate the age of the car, so I am not sure that this idea stands up.
Yes I believe you can - but an old car can be registered in a year in a new State and all of a sudden it has this year's plate! If anything it's easier perhaps as the UK seems to have got more complicated with plates!
Old May 19th 2014, 9:55 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Because it's true.
Actually, no it isnt.
Old May 19th 2014, 9:58 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

The 2 rustiest cars I ever owned were 2 Ford Falcons in Geelong, one barely had a boot and the other, an XD, was riddled with it. I would avoid
Old May 19th 2014, 10:08 am
Banned

The 2 rustiest cars I ever owned were 2 Ford Falcons in Geelong, one barely had a boot and the other, an XD, was riddled with it. I would avoid
Why then did you buy a second one?

My Falcon is fine - one of the most robust cars I've owned.
Old May 19th 2014, 10:10 am
Banned

Why then did you buy a second one?

My Falcon is fine - one of the most robust cars I've owned.
Well at the time an old Foulcan was just about the only thing we could afford that was big enough. It did put me off Fords for life though and havent owned another since.
Old May 19th 2014, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm sure you'll work out a way to get what you want

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cFdCzN7RYbw

Originally Posted by Amazulu

Sorted
You don't rate LPG then?
Actually, no it isnt.
Chris, yes, it is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.