Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying a new car in Australia.

Buying a new car in Australia.

Old May 12th 2014, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Buying a new car in Australia.

It seems to me that some new cars in Australia don't seem that much more expensive than their sister cars in Britain? I'm surprised at this find as old cars in Australia are so expensive, for what they are.

Would you agree or not?

Just wondering whether or not we might be better off investing in a new car from the beginning, rather than going through lots of expensive, unreliable old bangers?

Not sure what to do for the best really.

Any ideas?

We've always had German cars here in England as we've found them to be the most reliable and I would like to carry on having German cars in Australia but if we are buying new then I don't think we could afford a German model to begin with, so has anyone any other suggestions on good reliable makes and models?

I'll be doing a lot of driving so it needs to be bomb proof!
Old May 12th 2014, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

ABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a new car in Australia.

Used cars in Australia seem to keep their value better than in the UK.

That is good news for new car buyers, for when they sell the old car.

But bad news for people who prefer to buy secondhand.
Old May 12th 2014, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

Rhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
It seems to me that some new cars in Australia don't seem that much more expensive than their sister cars in Britain? I'm surprised at this find as old cars in Australia are so expensive, for what they are.

Would you agree or not?

Just wondering whether or not we might be better off investing in a new car from the beginning, rather than going through lots of expensive, unreliable old bangers?

Yes, I'd agree with that - dollar-for-dollar, new cars here represent better value than second-hand. There are probably several reasons for the disparity compared with the UK:

in the UK, the huge fleet market encourages widespread discounting off list price and the residual values are hammered by the constant supply, particularly for mainstream brands. This is not so pronounced in Australia

Relative strength of AUD has kept a lid on the price of imported new cars

Australia makes it difficult to import used cars, save for very exceptional circumstances (such as when you initially migrate under PR) and this limits supply.

Used cars seem to last longer here - there is not the same issue with corrosion for a start

As to a reliable make, my view is that you can't go far wrong with one of the Japanese brands - we owned a Honda in the UK and own a Mazda here. They don't set the world alight, but very little seems to go wrong.
Old May 12th 2014, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCD......
Used cars in Australia seem to keep their value better than in the UK.

I wonder why that is?

Do you find that most expats buy used cars?

Do you know any popular/reliable makes or models in Australia or maybe what makes and models should be avoided?
Old May 12th 2014, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rhubarb65
Yes, I'd agree with that - dollar-for-dollar, new cars here represent better value than second-hand. There are probably several reasons for the disparity compared with the UK:

in the UK, the huge fleet market encourages widespread discounting off list price and the residual values are hammered by the constant supply, particularly for mainstream brands. This is not so pronounced in Australia

Relative strength of AUD has kept a lid on the price of imported new cars

Australia makes it difficult to import used cars, save for very exceptional circumstances (such as when you initially migrate under PR) and this limits supply.

Used cars seem to last longer here - there is not the same issue with corrosion for a start

As to a reliable make, my view is that you can't go far wrong with one of the Japanese brands - we owned a Honda in the UK and own a Mazda here. They don't set the world alight, but very little seems to go wrong.

Thanks for that, sorry I didn't see your post before I replied to ABC.
Old May 12th 2014, 12:16 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

We also toyed with the idea of buying a new car on arrival but in the event ended up buying an 8 year old Ford Falcon for $5500 or so. A good solid car built for Aussie conditions with lots of power thanks to it's monster 4 litre engine! More than three years later and it's still going strong with very little that's gone wrong with it along the way. The new car can wait for now
Old May 12th 2014, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by paulry
We also toyed with the idea of buying a new car on arrival but in the event ended up buying an 8 year old Ford Falcon for $5500 or so. A good solid car built for Aussie conditions with lots of power thanks to it's monster 4 litre engine! More than three years later and it's still going strong with very little that's gone wrong with it along the way. The new car can wait for now
Yeah, why buy new if that one is going strong.

Knowing my luck I'd end up with a pile of crap, I'll have a look round when we get there.

By the way I like the 1972 Ford Falcon.

Check it out.
Attached Thumbnails Buying a new car in Australia.-image.jpg  
Old May 12th 2014, 10:07 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

One reason why secondhand cars are cheap in the UK (rather than being expensive in Australia) is the UK habit of dropping loads of salt on the roads every winter - a few years of that and only the best protected cars will be free from signs of corrosion.
Old May 12th 2014, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
One reason why secondhand cars are cheap in the UK (rather than being expensive in Australia) is the UK habit of dropping loads of salt on the roads every winter - a few years of that and only the best protected cars will be free from signs of corrosion.

Yeah very true.
Old May 12th 2014, 11:07 pm
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Another reason cars here hold their value is new car 'vanity'. In the UK you can see from the Registration number how old the vehicle is, in Australia you can't. Your neighbours BMW might be 6 years old, or 2 years old - you would never know. Less reason to want to upgrade and keep up with the Jones's.
Old May 13th 2014, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

ABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spuddyo
Another reason cars here hold their value is new car 'vanity'. In the UK you can see from the Registration number how old the vehicle is, in Australia you can't. Your neighbours BMW might be 6 years old, or 2 years old - you would never know. Less reason to want to upgrade and keep up with the Jones's.
Very True...
Old May 13th 2014, 2:14 am
BE Enthusiast

john in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond repute

Another issue on new cars is depreciation - cars on average loose around 50% over 3 years from new ...

If looking for a compromise then look at a 3 - 5 year old car at around half their original value. You can always find one with low Kms...

cheers john
Old May 13th 2014, 2:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

We got a brand new Hyundai Tucson for less than the cost of a 1 year old one, thanks to massive dealer discounting in late August 2008. Had it for 5 and a half years with no faults other than me reversing into things and DD scraping a post in a car park. Very reliable car, but they don't make them any more. Hyundai are a good make though and have a great warranty.

Don't buy a Jeep!!
Old May 13th 2014, 3:05 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle

Would you agree or not?

Not sure what to do for the best really.

Any ideas?

We've always had German cars here in England as we've found them to be the most reliable and I would like to carry on having German cars in Australia but if we are buying new then I don't think we could afford a German model to begin with, so has anyone any other suggestions on good reliable makes and models?

I'll be doing a lot of driving so it needs to be bomb proof!
I've always bought new as they are not much more expensive than nearly new and you get the warranty

Many new cars now come with fixed price servicing and some, like Mitsubishi have 5 year warranties

Many VWs are cheaper here than in the UK. BMW, Mercedes and Audi are always more expensive

Cars are generally coming down in price due to a lot of competition and strong AUD - Australia has one of the most fragmented automobile markets in the world
Old May 13th 2014, 3:07 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
We got a brand new Hyundai Tucson for less than the cost of a 1 year old one, thanks to massive dealer discounting in late August 2008. Had it for 5 and a half years with no faults other than me reversing into things and DD scraping a post in a car park. Very reliable car, but they don't make them any more. Hyundai are a good make though and have a great warranty.

Don't buy a Jeep!!
Last year I bought a Triton with loads of extras, 5 year warranty and fixed price servicing for less than 1 year old models were being advertised for

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.