buying a motorhome

buying a motorhome

Old Jun 4th 2005, 7:02 pm
tre
Forum Regular

tre is on a distinguished road
Default buying a motorhome

hi
we are hoping to buy a fairly new motorhome on arrival in oz and travel around for a while before we settle.
wondering if anybody has experience of buying and selling the latter how much they cost and where best to buy.

all the best to all,

tre
Old Jun 5th 2005, 7:52 am
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: buying a motorhome

Originally Posted by tre
hi
we are hoping to buy a fairly new motorhome on arrival in oz and travel around for a while before we settle.
wondering if anybody has experience of buying and selling the latter how much they cost and where best to buy.

all the best to all,

tre
Not sure about buying and costs etc but where I used to work a friend of mine and his partner went to Oz after graduating and rented a motorhome in Sydney and drove up the east coast to Cairns. All in all they had it for two months and he said the camp sites were'nt too bad either along the way.

This may be a better way to go if you do not intend on keeping the motorhome as you will probably loose out moneywise on buying and selling etc. At least if you rent you know exactly how much it is going to cost you. Let me know if you want me to find out how much they paid for one etc.

R.
Old Jun 5th 2005, 8:52 am
Jammy Dodger

floss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nice
Smile Re: buying a motorhome

We looked at hiring one in Brisbane and driving up to Cairns when we do our trip in August. Found loads of websites by doing a search on Google - masses of info on prices etc. BUT the idea had to be shelved when we were told that they bigger motorhomes (there are 5 of us) are very difficult to find parking spots for. We contacted some camping sites (I am fairly sure you are not allowed to park up overnight on the roadsite, and anyway you need electricity, water etc) and found that the very few places that could accomodate anything other than a small combi had been booked up for over 12 months..... and were VERY expensive.

It's something we'd still love to do, so I know where you are coming from, but from our experience it's hard to just go.... it takes a lot of forward-planning.

Good luck - sending you karma, 'cos I do think it must be a great way to get out and see the country!
Old Jun 5th 2005, 4:04 pm
tre
Forum Regular

tre is on a distinguished road
Default Re: buying a motorhome

Thanks for the replies.

We did go out last year and hired a motor home from Kea (excellent brand new van) and drove from Sydney to Cairns.

Did park in some laybys/truck stops some nights - no problems, it usually had a sign saying if you couldn't park. Otherwise parked in camp sites.

Didn't have any problems finding camp sites even in the middle of surfers paradise!!

Tre