Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

buying land in Perth

buying land in Perth

Old Mar 14th 2004, 4:57 pm

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default buying land in Perth

I know you can't (or it's hard) to buy land if you do not hold PR, but can you buy from overseas before you validate? Is it just acceptable that you hold the visa in your passport.

We are just contemplating trying to buy some before we get there as the price seems to rising! and that would be a better return than leaving it here till September. Even if we changed our mind we could sell it on?

I know there is a Sydney based company called finders keepers that can find the land for you - anyone know of something like that based in Perth?

Any thoughts?
Old Mar 14th 2004, 5:06 pm
Go Banana's !!

Default Re: buying land in Perth

Originally posted by maxpaxx
I know you can't (or it's hard) to buy land if you do not hold PR, but can you buy from overseas before you validate? Is it just acceptable that you hold the visa in your passport.

We are just contemplating trying to buy some before we get there as the price seems to rising! and that would be a better return than leaving it here till September. Even if we changed our mind we could sell it on?

I know there is a Sydney based company called finders keepers that can find the land for you - anyone know of something like that based in Perth?

Any thoughts?
You can buy land in Perth without holding a PR.
But I wouldn't advise it. We have thought about it, but our house prices are still rising, so it's all relative and the exchange rate is so erratic.
Plus you really do have to research it alot and walk the plot, see the views, check location, do the drive to work, shops etc.....

Hope this helps

Jill

Old Mar 14th 2004, 5:22 pm
Next stop Gold coast

plumber is an unknown quantity at this point

Definitely unwise , especially if you don't know the area!

anyway prices on the turn, so whats the point?

we're renting for a while , get to know the area's before buying !

all the best plum

ps don't take to much notice of Dotty , Dot
Old Mar 14th 2004, 6:50 pm

Originally posted by plumber
Definitely unwise , especially if you don't know the area!

anyway prices on the turn, so whats the point?

we're renting for a while , get to know the area's before buying !

all the best plum

ps don't take to much notice of Dotty , Dot
Thanks for that.

Whats Dotty got to do with it? Does she live in Perth?

Why do you think prices are on the turn Plum, since we have been looking they have gone up and up. Do you not think they will keep rising just at a slower rate?

Yeah we were planning on the renting for a while to suss the areas - just looking into this for investment purposes - but with the view to building if we loved it. Looks like Ed's company are going to give him a job (fingers crossed) so he works from home so we can be anywhere. We want to be within walking distance of the ocean.

Go Bananas - we already sold up here and have agreed a fixed contract at 2.41 so thats us settled up here apart from a few odds and ends so UK market going up doesn't affect us anymore - we were at a sticking point with our house anyway just below the higher stamp duty level so it would have had to rise hell of a lot more for someone to want to pay that. Don't want any financial ties here so we may invest in Aus before we go. It's just an idea we are mulling over.

max

Old Mar 14th 2004, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

Mitchells is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree that you should be cautious with this, but we bought land in Perth last year since then for the same size plot you are looking at about another $25,000+ on the same development.

We did have the advantage of knowing the area quite well and alot of people that live around the area, we don't know if it is the area that we will settle in for good but at least we are on the property ladder.

We haven't received our PR yet, so we have had to start building within 12months of the settlement date, this is quite hard as it is all done over the phone and via emails. We had a trip out at Christmas to visit friends and view houses to build (far too much choice).

All the best.
Clare
Old Mar 14th 2004, 7:16 pm

Originally posted by Mitchells
I agree that you should be cautious with this, but we bought land in Perth last year since then for the same size plot you are looking at about another $25,000+ on the same development.

We did have the advantage of knowing the area quite well and alot of people that live around the area, we don't know if it is the area that we will settle in for good but at least we are on the property ladder.

We haven't received our PR yet, so we have had to start building within 12months of the settlement date, this is quite hard as it is all done over the phone and via emails. We had a trip out at Christmas to visit friends and view houses to build (far too much choice).

All the best.
Clare
Hi Clare,

really interested to know the proceedure you went through..if you have time!! How long a period was it between putting the offer in and settlement?

Just being nosy but where are you building and are you getting an independant builder or a company design?

Thanks

Max
Old Mar 14th 2004, 7:17 pm
Next stop Gold coast

plumber is an unknown quantity at this point

You may know better than me , just my opinion.

all the best plum
Old Mar 15th 2004, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Its done under the Foreign Investment thing. Some friends of ours did it but weren't allowed to sell the land if they changed their mind (which they tried to do). It all worked out in the end but it was very stressful for them.

Diane
Old Mar 15th 2004, 6:09 am

Originally posted by DianeOZ
Its done under the Foreign Investment thing. Some friends of ours did it but weren't allowed to sell the land if they changed their mind (which they tried to do). It all worked out in the end but it was very stressful for them.

Diane
We have our visas in our passports just haven't validated yet - did they already have their visas?
Old Mar 15th 2004, 7:24 am
Just Joined

funbags mags is an unknown quantity at this point
Default we bought land

me and afriend went on a fact finding mission last may to perth, to find out all about schools areas property jobs ect.
We decided on an area in wannaroo called carremarr, it was ideal for what we were looking for and as others have said a good place to get on the property ladder. We did not buy the land while there as it takes several months for the deeds to become avalible and it would have ment it was just a bit to soon. Instead we keep in touch with the developers and purchased on the release after we returned at the end of june. We had to fill in a simple form in order to become foreign investors, you have to agree to start building within 12 months and you carnt sell land without building on it.
We only paid £250 deposit which was refundable if you dont go a head with the purchace, and we paid the balance for the land nearly 9 months later by which time it had risen in vaule quite considerably.I glad we did now but that just my oppionion.
maggie Heading to perth in the summer.
Old Mar 15th 2004, 7:42 am
A Bored of waiting member

stephenwhite68 will become famous soon enough

I have a question:

Is it still cheap to buuy land the further north you go from Perth City centre ?
Old Mar 15th 2004, 9:21 am

Originally posted by stephenwhite68
I have a question:

Is it still cheap to buuy land the further north you go from Perth City centre ?
I have this new link www.slattery.com.au - brighton beach
Old Mar 15th 2004, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

HBgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thats confusing...

There is also a huge developer..

www.Satterley.com.au

We have just bought land north of Perth (on a Satterly estate), and I would not do it with out being able to stand on the plot. For a start many are sold on the view, or the proximity to roads ect....maybe if you had someone you trust to reccy it for you.

There was so much to consider ...size, dimentions, aspect, placement with in the estate, and on the road. is it on a hill:retaining walls, covernants, design of the estate, location of any main roads,

also we found we needed to have some idea of the house we wanted to build before we could decide on the plot.
ie: if you want a triple garage you need a min 18m frontage.
Also corner plots seem realy big for the money but you are limited on what you can build on them so they are not that popular.

Also till you are working over here how do you know what size mortgage you can get and what house you can build (unless you have cash for both land and house - ours will add up to $300,000.00)

Hope that makes some sense!!!
Just my humble opinion
Old Mar 15th 2004, 12:37 pm

Default Re: Thats confusing...

Originally posted by HBgirl
There is also a huge developer..

www.Satterley.com.au

We have just bought land north of Perth (on a Satterly estate), and I would not do it with out being able to stand on the plot. For a start many are sold on the view, or the proximity to roads ect....maybe if you had someone you trust to reccy it for you.

There was so much to consider ...size, dimentions, aspect, placement with in the estate, and on the road. is it on a hill:retaining walls, covernants, design of the estate, location of any main roads,

also we found we needed to have some idea of the house we wanted to build before we could decide on the plot.
ie: if you want a triple garage you need a min 18m frontage.
Also corner plots seem realy big for the money but you are limited on what you can build on them so they are not that popular.

Also till you are working over here how do you know what size mortgage you can get and what house you can build (unless you have cash for both land and house - ours will add up to $300,000.00)

Hope that makes some sense!!!
Just my humble opinion
Oops - my link was spelt wrong!

Yes - we don't intend to buy here but I was offering the link for the person asking about land prices north coast.

Who are you using to build?
Old Mar 15th 2004, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

HBgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey max,

I wondered but then it was a surveyors wierd........

We are building with Dale Alcock....

A few reasons
firstly they were the only company to give me serious info and send me literature ect when we still lived in the UK.
Then we both liked the style of thier designs and the quality, and we couldnt find any realy bad stories, I have heard a lot of horror stories now!!!!
Also the show home that realy grabed our attention also had a Salesman we got on with....Big help.

We have signed up got the design finalised and have just picked all our tiles ect ready to kick off when the Titles to the land are released in May.

HBxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.