British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Buying a land/House (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/buying-land-house-760171/)

asmgx May 31st 2012 12:46 am

Buying a land/House

Hi

I have some money in the bank, as far as i know money loses its value with time, and we can see how Australian dollar has dropped from $1.07 USD to $0.95 USD.

so i decided to buy a small house or land ( not necessarily in states capitals syd or melb etc.) ( something worth $100k )

i may go to the country side.

not sure if this is a good idea or not especially after hearing that government wont give first home buyer allowance any more.

advice please..

to buy or not to buy?

sassie May 31st 2012 6:10 am

Re: Buying a land/House

Originally Posted by asmgx (Post 10091821)
Hi

I have some money in the bank, as far as i know money loses its value with time, and we can see how Australian dollar has dropped from $1.07 USD to $0.95 USD.

so i decided to buy a small house or land ( not necessarily in states capitals syd or melb etc.) ( something worth $100k )

not sure if this is a good idea or not especially after hearing that government wont give first home buyer allowance any more.

advice please..

to buy or not to buy?

Sorry - can't offer you too much advice on buying at the moment but would be interseted to know where you heard about the governmenet abolishing the first home buyers grant.

Craig Vaughan May 31st 2012 7:04 am

Originally Posted by asmgx (Post 10091821)
Hi

advice please..

to buy or not to buy?

They are not abolishing the FHOG. The building boost ends end of June but the 7k FHOG continues.

lesleys May 31st 2012 10:06 am

Do you have PR?

Some restrictions apply for temp visa holders. See FIRB website.

roaringmouse May 31st 2012 11:23 am

Originally Posted by sassie (Post 10092114)
Sorry - can't offer you too much advice on buying at the moment but would be interseted to know where you heard about the governmenet abolishing the first home buyers grant.

Originally Posted by Craig Vaughan (Post 10092194)
They are not abolishing the FHOG. The building boost ends end of June but the 7k FHOG continues.

Victoria is dropping their first home owners grant from 1st July.

Craig Vaughan May 31st 2012 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by roaringmouse (Post 10092576)
Victoria is dropping their first home owners grant from 1st July.

No they are not - its only the additional $13,000 building grant the extra regional grant that is being cut. Well, its not so much being cut, its just coming to an end as it was only on offer to end of June.

The $7000 first home owners grant continues beyond 1 July.

roaringmouse Jun 1st 2012 3:46 am

Originally Posted by Craig Vaughan (Post 10092718)
No they are not - its only the additional $13,000 building grant the extra regional grant that is being cut. Well, its not so much being cut, its just coming to an end as it was only on offer to end of June.

The $7000 first home owners grant continues beyond 1 July.

The $7,000 you mention is a national scheme (funded by states), the state scheme in Victoria which adds to that is being dropped. I was referring only to the state scheme in Victoria being dropped.

KJCherokee Jun 1st 2012 5:03 am

For $100,000 you are not going to get anything in an area where you can guarantee values will rise. Your best bet might be to buy this one and hope the mining-coal seam gas boom continues - with a guaranteed rent of $2000pw for the next 35 weeks it will pay for itself!! Can't help feeling the numbers don't add up somehow!

jothefw Jun 1st 2012 5:23 am

Originally Posted by KJCherokee (Post 10094116)
For $100,000 you are not going to get anything in an area where you can guarantee values will rise. Your best bet might be to buy this one and hope the mining-coal seam gas boom continues - with a guaranteed rent of $2000pw for the next 35 weeks it will pay for itself!! Can't help feeling the numbers don't add up somehow!

It's madness isn't it!

We're renting in Chinchilla, four years ago the average monthly mortgage payments were $600 per month, now we're paying $600 per week to rent :sneaky: Go up to Emerald and you're looking at at least $1000 per week and these houses are special.

If I had $100,000 to rent I'd be looking at a student apartment, there's many group schemes with guaranteed incomes. In Adelaide two years ago you could get a 1.5 bed apartment for $98,000 with a 5 yr guarantee on income. Worth investigating further.