Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying Land in Brisbane For Investment Purposes

Buying Land in Brisbane For Investment Purposes

Old Nov 25th 2007, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Buying Land in Brisbane For Investment Purposes

Looking at the possibility of investing in some land in an attempt to put down some roots here in Brisbane.

Couple of questions I'd like to ask, which can probably be answered quicker than the time it would take to trawl through a search of the website:

1/ How does investing in land compare to investing in a house (bricks and mortar), in terms of the gains which could reasonably be expected over a 2 or so year period?

2/ Would it be better to plough money into a high-interest savings account as opposed to taking out a mortgage on the land?

3/ If it's likely that we'll decide to build in 6-12 months time, what are the implications on the type of mortgage we would need to obtain i.e given the scenario of a 250k plot of land and a 250k house build, can we split our borrowings 50/50 and only pay the interest on the 250k mortgage for the land until such time as we've decided whether to build or not?

3a/ If we decide to 'phase' our borrowings (say 250k now and 250k in 12 months) how would this effect the upfront costs and deposit we would need to pay, in terms of the timings of these payments?

4/ Are we eligible for the first time home buyers grant and if so, at what point would we receive this, given the above scenario?

5/ Are there any other glaringly obvious things I need to consider such as capital gains tax etc etc

Apologies if some of these questions seem rather trivial. I'm just trying to get a feel for what's possible

Thanks