Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying houses the Ozzie way

Buying houses the Ozzie way

Old Dec 21st 2003, 12:52 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pagey
The 95 % was a guess BP , i`m not sure of the exact figure , but then again in britain there`s no way you would be allowed to express an opinion against asylum seekers etc without being labelled a racist (which i`m not ) i was making a point about the difference between Australia and britain , correct me if i`m wrong but didn`t Australia stop a norweigian vessel offshore full of immigrants and then go to every measure to make sure that the boat never got to shore (ie send out medical help etc) and then publically tell them to go elsewhere, and rightly so by the way . Wouldn`t happen here , they`d of been welcome with open arms and given all the benefits like , accom , food vouchers , money , driving lessons , free swims (thats in leisure centres by the way , we don`t have many beaches here ) computers with free internet and loads of other things that the likes of me (normal hard working taxpayers ) are not entitled to .
I too hope that Australians are welcoming to me when i get there but i`m sure that when they realise that i`m a hard working AUSTRALIAN TAXPAYER , supporting my own family and not sponging of them , they will be .. and if they are not ... ask me if i give a s**t.... as long as me and my family are happy i couldn`t give a toss...
Britain does its best to try and stop assyum seekers but it has to consider every case. I remember at work 3 years ago when a lorry arrived from France. On opening the door 20 illegal immigrants jumped off the back and legged it. Too much traffic arrives in Britain to effectively stop the people smuggling. When 100,000 a year claim asylum the system has a back log and it is Britains legal obligation to provide food and shelter. I think you will find the state is not as generous as you are making out and that most assylum seekers want to work but cannot until their case is decided.

The Norwegian ship that you are on about stopped to rescue a sinking boat of assylum seekers that were on their way to Oz via Indonesia. The ship then got caught between a rock and a hard place as Australia would not accept the seekers but decided to process them huge cost on an offshore island. Australia also put at risk the accepted convention of helping ships at risk at sea so the decision is not as black and white as you see.

These are people who are only guilty of wanting a better life for themselves and their families and are from areas neglected or abused economically and militarily by the west.

BTW your opinion is expressed a lot in Britain's most popular paper the Sun so there is no need to feel muzzled. I do not think you are racist but have been blinkered by the debate. Very few papers discuss the problems the people are fleeing and until those are dealt with the west will carry on receiving immigrants whether wanted or not.
Old Dec 21st 2003, 1:13 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

all the benefits like , accom , food vouchers , money , driving lessons , free swims (thats in leisure centres by the way , we don`t have many beaches here ) computers with free internet .
think you will find that most long-term unemployed get this sort of thing - especially socially deprived (whatever that means) areas. Someone I unfortunately am acquainted with cannot be arsed to get a job cos she sees it as too much trouble; the many jobs she has had she has only had for a couple of weeks because of silly little reasons - ie its unreasonable to get up a 4 in the morning to go to work, there are no buses (to which the jobcentre arranged taxi's for the first couple of weeks). they kept changing her shift and as she isnt on the phone (ha, yeah, right) they couldnt tell her (to which jobcentre provided her with a mobile). She didnt agree with having to wear leather protective gloves ( shes a veggie - ha, yeah, right) so they said there there lets get you something more suitable is working in top shop ok? lasted there about 3 weeks then got sacked for nicking stuff - they set her up (ha, yeah, right). A supermarket job lasted about 2 weeks - they expected her to lift heavy boxes, and when she hurt her back they werent sympathetic, so she left (job centre - oh dear you poor thing, how awful for you)
Cant get a nice job because cant drive - hmm, lets get you driving lessons for about 75% less than everyone else has to pay.
No money left because of bus fares/ driving lessons - heres £10 a day luncheon vouchers for the next 10 days.
dont have to pay for use of leisure centre, cos shes on benefits.
Doesnt pay rent or council tax (and cant be arsed to pay most bills anyway - poor me Im on benefit and cant find a job - oh dear, pay a pound a week for as long as you want)

Its not just the asylum seekers who get 'everything' - there are millions of people who are screwing the system day in day out, and yes its a pain that we the tax payer appear to support them. but until the government get their heads from up their arses and actually open their eyes to what is going on in this country, and stop mollycoddling the home grown scroungers, we cant really blame people for seeking asylum in our country or complain about what they 'get'

sue
Old Dec 21st 2003, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road

The 95 % was a guess BP , i`m not sure of the exact figure , but then again in britain there`s no way you would be allowed to express an opinion against asylum seekers etc without being labelled a racist (which i`m not ) i was making a point about the difference between Australia and britain , correct me if i`m wrong but didn`t Australia stop a norweigian vessel offshore full of immigrants and then go to every measure to make sure that the boat never got to shore (ie send out medical help etc) and then publically tell them to go elsewhere, and rightly so by the way . Wouldn`t happen here , they`d of been welcome with open arms and given all the benefits like , accom , food vouchers , money , driving lessons , free swims (thats in leisure centres by the way , we don`t have many beaches here ) computers with free internet and loads of other things that the likes of me (normal hard working taxpayers ) are not entitled to .
I too hope that Australians are welcoming to me when i get there but i`m sure that when they realise that i`m a hard working AUSTRALIAN TAXPAYER , supporting my own family and not sponging of them , they will be .. and if they are not ... ask me if i give a s**t.... as long as me and my family are happy i couldn`t give a toss...
Have to agree

And I am probably the most unselfish person I know, not just looking after no. 1 etc. lived in a labour voting family all of my life but never again, I'd rather abstain...is it true you get fined for not voting in Aus?
Old Dec 21st 2003, 3:00 am

Originally posted by Sandy.l
Have to agree

And I am probably the most unselfish person I know, not just looking after no. 1 etc. lived in a labour voting family all of my life but never again, I'd rather abstain...is it true you get fined for not voting in Aus?
It is true but I don't think it is anything devastating. Only citizens can and have to vote. After a certain period overseas the requirment is waived. Voting can be undertaken at overseas diplomatic missions,
Old Dec 21st 2003, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

pagey is an unknown quantity at this point

Well BP i have to disagree , i don`t think that Britain does do its best to stop asylum seekers , in fact i think it encourages them by offering them so many benefits , and as i said earlier ` i don`t blame them` .
Your quote
"These are people who are only guilty of wanting a better life for themselves and their families and are from areas neglected or abused economically and militarily by the west."
THATS ME ......and i live in the UK .. thats why i`m getting out , except it going to cost me about £10,000 to get out and it doesn`t cost them anything....(except the price of a bunk in the back of a lorry )
I would like to emphasise , as i said earlier in the thread , i am not a racist nor do i have anything against the people who are trying to get into the uk, i can`t imagine what a life these people must be living in their countries to do what they do to get out of it , honestly i do sympathise , it must be awful and i wouldn`t wish it on my worst enemy .
The point i was making originally was about the `handouts` in UK and those in OZ , i would like to agree with
tiredwithtwins too in saying that its not just asylum seekers who get these handouts , and it used to p**s me of too , however i`ve begin to understand why these people do claim these benefits and am of the opinion that these people arn`t `the `parasites` that i used to think they were , THEY are the the clever ones. It`s only dignity that stops most of us doing what they`re doing anyway and eventually after years of p*****g in the wind , we`ll proberbly reaslise it`s the only way to get by in this country there`s no reward for being an honest working man / woman here and the majority of people proberbly agree with me ...
ps : at least the "home grown scroungers" are exactly that ` Home grown ` and have proberbly contributed to the system somewhere along the line , or at least their relatives have in one war or another unlike the asylum seekers recieving the benefits who are from those countries we`ve been at war with and until VERY recently , still were)
Old Dec 21st 2003, 3:21 am

Well BP i have to disagree , i don`t think that Britain does do its best to stop asylum seekers , in fact i think it encourages them by offering them so many benefits , and as i said earlier ` i don`t blame them` .
Your quote
"These are people who are only guilty of wanting a better life for themselves and their families and are from areas neglected or abused economically and militarily by the west."
THATS ME ......and i live in the UK .. thats why i`m getting out , except it going to cost me about £10,000 to get out and it doesn`t cost them anything....(except the price of a bunk in the back of a lorry )
I would like to emphasise , as i said earlier in the thread , i am not a racist nor do i have anything against the people who are trying to get into the uk, i can`t imagine what a life these people must be living in their countries to do what they do to get out of it , honestly i do sympathise , it must be awful and i wouldn`t wish it on my worst enemy .
The point i was making originally was about the `handouts` in UK and those in OZ , i would like to agree with
tiredwithtwins too in saying that its not just asylum seekers who get these handouts , and it used to p**s me of too , however i`ve begin to understand why these people do claim these benefits and am of the opinion that these people arn`t `the `parasites` that i used to think they were , THEY are the the clever ones. It`s only dignity that stops most of us doing what they`re doing anyway and eventually after years of p*****g in the wind , we`ll proberbly reaslise it`s the only way to get by in this country there`s no reward for being an honest working man / woman here and the majority of people proberbly agree with me ...
ps : at least the "home grown scroungers" are exactly that ` Home grown ` and have proberbly contributed to the system somewhere along the line , or at least their relatives have in one war or another unlike the asylum seekers recieving the benefits who are from those countries we`ve been at war with and until VERY recently , still were)
I have heard 10,000 GBP as the price these people pay the people smugglers to get to Britain. Countries that have signed up to the UN convention of human rights are legally obliged to provide food and shelter. Wherever you are from it is not anywhere near as bad as what the assylum seekers are escaping from. Afghanistan was screwed by the Russians, ignored by the west when the Russians left, screwed by the Taliban and their Saudi backers, then bombed by the west and left to degenerate again. Do you find it strange that assylum seekers are arriving from Afghanistan to the UK.

Saddam Hussein was tolerated and supported by the west for a decade because the blood money Iran earnt was used to buy weapons from western defence companies. Then we bomb the country and put it under sanctions and expect no emigration.

Point is that to end mass emigration to the UK from the worlds troube spots the trouble needs to be stopped. No amount of tinkering with the supposed benefits will stop movement of people.

BTW Britain is well down the list of popularity for assylum seekers when you take into account population. Studies have also shown that available benefits are down the list as well. More important to the assylum seeker is an existing diaspora of their own people.
Old Dec 21st 2003, 7:06 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Some time back I remember this thread being a good one about the ease (when compared to UK) of buying a property. Can we get back to that? :lecture:

to help, and as I have no personal experience of buying a house ozzie style, here is a link with some tips.
http://www.domain.com.au/general/Dis...t&mode=tipsbuy
Old Dec 21st 2003, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, going back to the orignal post....

I've bought and sold a few properties here in NSW and one of the main differences seems to be an absence of 'the chain'. No-one would ever have an offer accepted if it was 'subject' to the buyer selling their own place. People here either sell their houses first and rent while they're looking for a new one or they buy first and get bridging finance till they sell their old one.

We've always managed to settle on the sale of our old house and the buying of the new one on the same day - so no renting or bridging loans involved. It's not uncommon and we've done it twice. It obviously comes down to timing and usually involves juggling the settlement dates. Once your offer is accepted and the deposit (usually 10%) is paid there's no getting out of it - except by forfeiting your 10%. And 10% of the average Sydney house price is a lot of money.

In NSW all the paperwork must be complete before you put your house on the market. This means the contract must be prepared, searches done and (if the seller's smart they include a recent building and pest inspection, too). That means that any buyer has all the info they need and you just don't receive offers that are 'subject' to anything.

It's a really quick and efficient method. Whereas actually finding a place to buy (that you like and can afford), dealing with Real Estate Agents, plus the dreaded Sydney auction process is a different kettle of fish entirely....
Old Dec 21st 2003, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Ben_38 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying houses the Ozzie way

Here on business visa 457 and have been informed that we can only buy property in Aus by applying for permission from the Investments authorities here.

Originally posted by Sandra
Nope not to all - all PR ones though. I know it does not apply to Temp 457 ones (employer sponsored).

Anyone know if applies to the Business Visa 457 - the ones where you are coming over to set up a business?

Cheers
Old Dec 21st 2003, 11:46 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

sorry for hijacking your thread heather

Old Dec 21st 2003, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

pagey is an unknown quantity at this point

Me too heather , nothing malicious intended , just good old debate
Old Jan 19th 2004, 12:10 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
sorry for hijacking your thread heather

Its ok guys, thought PB and Meg had returned under new names!!

PS everyone, learn from our mistakes though and make sure that you put in writting that the appliences must be in full working order and if the property has a pool that the buggers keep it clean untill they move out
Old Jan 19th 2004, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Anybody coming to OZ to escape dole bludgers and social security rorts frankly has their head firmly stuck in the sand.

OZ has massive problems with its own kind that dont want to work Third generation without a job.

Take my area and many other beach areas like it 80% of the population are collecting some form of welfare. Its deliberate, nice beachy place, dont work.

Childcare, oh yes, lovely scheme where the working taxpayer (or was that idiot) pays for almost free childcare so the unemployed lardarses can get some peace and quiet.

First home owner grant, just know a Pom with three houses in the UK who claiimed it.

Single parent mothers with up to 16 YEARS OLD getting the pension. Why is a woman with a child over 12 years old unable to work??

Do you know a Pom going back to the UK after a few years gets no benefits even tho they are a POM. Not from what I have heard even family allowance.

Arrive in OZ and all manner of benefits are available straight away.

Just above the average wage in OZ the top tax bracket creeps in. Wonder why