Buying a house in Scotland

Buying a house in Scotland

Old Oct 13th 2009, 9:37 am
Just Joined

dakook is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a house in Scotland

Hello everyone.
I was hoping for some advice.
I am a British & Australian Citizen who is resident in Australia. I would like to purchase a house in Scotland, soley for investment purposes.
Am I able to do this? Are there any issues that I need to address or would the purchase be the same as if I was living in the UK? What Tax implecations would I have both in the UK and OZ? Is there a company that deals with this type of purchase?
I hope to hear from you all soon.
thanks

Craig
Old Oct 13th 2009, 2:02 pm
Banned

DumbFalang is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying a house in Scotland

Originally Posted by dakook
What Tax implecations would I have both in the UK and OZ?
If you are resident in Oz, the ATO would want to know all about it and would expect you to disclose all the details on your tax return.

I think the inland revenue would leave you alone as you are not resident for tax purposes, but this is definately an area you should study closely and become comfortable with.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

Hi Craig

We have a few investment properties in Scotland (1 in Aberdeen and 2 in Fife) that we rent out, we are currently resident in Australia awaiting a citizenship ceremony and also UK citizens. 2 of these properties were bought while overseas. We fill in the UK tax return as any income generated in the UK is assessable for tax - I have found it to be very straightforward - just keep all receipts. From what I can remember you get the normal allowances and can offset mortgage interest, management fees etc. You will get 10% off the council tax charge for the property.

There is also a national landlord's registration system that you apply for online.

Once the initial paperwork is done everything seems to go pretty well, we manage them ourselves from here in Australia. I use email and a Skype Online Number (Edinburgh) so that tenants can contact me easily between the hours of 2am-2pm GMT.

Not sure of the tax implications here in Oz as OH's company pays his tax for him.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

wanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Buying a house in Scotland

Originally Posted by dakook
Hello everyone.
I was hoping for some advice.
I am a British & Australian Citizen who is resident in Australia. I would like to purchase a house in Scotland, soley for investment purposes.
Am I able to do this? Are there any issues that I need to address or would the purchase be the same as if I was living in the UK? What Tax implecations would I have both in the UK and OZ? Is there a company that deals with this type of purchase?
I hope to hear from you all soon.
thanks

Craig

Fancy that?

Turns out that i'm selling. See below.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...l%3Findex%3D10

Cheers.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

tartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant future

My house sale has just fallen through today so we are back on the market!!

http://www.espc.co.uk/Buying/280077.html
Old Oct 13th 2009, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Del-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really nice

Here's another

http://www.bspc.co.uk/propertydetail...&pPostCode=TD9 8PH