Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying a house in Perth? Knock 30% Off!

Buying a house in Perth? Knock 30% Off!

Old Sep 5th 2012, 4:11 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all
Default Re: Buying a house in Perth? Knock 30% Off!

Originally Posted by pomtastic
Perth is a giant Ponzi scheme. Outside building houses for new migrants and mining, there’s not much else to keep the Ponzi going. A lot of people are going to get hammered, I’m afraid. Could be as harsh as Ireland’s fallout.

As I’ve said many times before on this site in the past, Australia and especially Perth has priced itself out of the global economy – even Gina Rinehart is saying the exact same thing now.

The Lucky Country’s luck has run out.

Here's an excellent quote from Greg McKenna that sums it up my exact feelings for the last 3 years.
People need to take a step back, it's iron ore that's in trouble, there's still $200bn+ of gas projects underway in Australia, not to mention coal and all the other resources that are extracted.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 4:48 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
People need to take a step back, it's iron ore that's in trouble, there's still $200bn+ of gas projects underway in Australia, not to mention coal and all the other resources that are extracted.
and still plenty of iron-ore projects on the go too...........
Old Sep 5th 2012, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
200bn of gas projects planned and commited to before the US stumbled upon fracking and dropped the price by 40%

I also have a working interest in the coal networks and things aren't looking good, at current prices there is no money to be made in extracting something, sending it 500km by train and then thousands of km by boat.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 11:39 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bingobob777
200bn of gas projects planned and commited to before the US stumbled upon fracking and dropped the price by 40%

I also have a working interest in the coal networks and things aren't looking good, at current prices there is no money to be made in extracting something, sending it 500km by train and then thousands of km by boat.
Yes, it's iron AND coal prices that are bombing.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Very odd thread where some strange people seem to be taking great delight at people ending up with negative equity & having no jobs. Odd world we live in...

As for the stuff about Gas (as I work in the industry), there's plenty of profit to be made & an ever growing market for LNG. Gorgon at 40 odd billion $ will pay for itself in the first 3 years of operation, so obviously the market must be awful if that's the case.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Betty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Very odd thread where some strange people seem to be taking great delight at people ending up with negative equity & having no jobs. Odd world we live in...

As for the stuff about Gas (as I work in the industry), there's plenty of profit to be made & an ever growing market for LNG. Gorgon at 40 odd billion $ will pay for itself in the first 3 years of operation, so obviously the market must be awful if that's the case.
Got to agree, seems that folk who have been there a while and are already established are taking pleasure in scaring the c**p out of those who are ready to arrive in OZ

Find it hard to believe that it is all doom and gloom for the mining industry when my husband has just been offered a fairly well paid job in Perth for a large mining company - would have thought they would be looking at redundancies rather than employing
Old Sep 5th 2012, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

People ending up in negative equity means falling prices, that IS good news for a lot of people, absolutely nothing odd about people taking delight in it.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 2:17 pm
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, it's the usual green envy monsters that lurk about whenever there's the slightest hint of a bit of uncertainty in the economy. They don't like anyone else to have what they can't have.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 10:11 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

People ending up in negative equity means falling prices, that IS good news for a lot of people, absolutely nothing odd about people taking delight in it.
It will be great to be able to afford to go out to eat at a restaurant again, or go to a pub and have a few pints. Bring it on!
Old Sep 5th 2012, 10:13 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kalenge
Yep, it's the usual green envy monsters that lurk about whenever there's the slightest hint of a bit of uncertainty in the economy. They don't like anyone else to have what they can't have.
It's more that they want the same opportunities everyone else had. You will note the subtle difference.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Zen10
It's more that they want the same opportunities everyone else had. You will note the subtle difference.
It's not even that, falling house prices would benefit people looking to but their first home, people looking to buy a more expensive home and the economy as a whole.

The only people who don't want prices to fall are people looking to downsize or "investors" whose rent doesn't cover their mortage and rely on price growth to ever make any money. These people assume every one else is negative, when in actual fact they're living in cloud cuckoo land and can't accept that if they bought in the last 5 years there is no money to be made.

Last edited by bingobob777; Sep 5th 2012 at 10:31 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 10:27 pm
Banned

The only people who don't want prices to fall are people looking to downsize or "investors" whose rent doesn't cover their mortage and rely on price growth to ever make any money.
And lenders!
Old Sep 5th 2012, 10:31 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Nonsense.

I could buy houses for cash if I chose to but won't because they are ridiculously overpriced and it can not last.....I will wait for the inevitable.

If prices don't come down I won't bother but buy in UK instead....or keep my money invested elsewhere.

Absolutely nothing to do with envy.....more common sense.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

what a millstone around my neck that's losing money every day, yep could really do with one of those
Old Sep 5th 2012, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

Overinflation of house prices benefits no-one apart from greedy investors. I believe it destabalises economies in ways we don't often think of - the need for two parents to be flogging their guts out at work instead of spending some time with their families for instance, the ridiculousness of homelessness when a priveledged few own scores of houses. I speak of someone with heaps of equity in a property who'd rather the property had increased with inflation. If the banks had retained their 3* lending criteria (it was bloody hard to get a mortgage when I started out) all this nonsense could have largely been prevented. Whether we want houses or drop or not, they will because the prices are unsustainable. I'd love to see a world where houses are for people to live in, not some get rich quick ponzi scheme for a few wide boys. One of the best thing about the last housing crisis? Estate agents going out of business. Bring it on!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.