Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying a house in Oz

Buying a house in Oz

Old May 10th 2018, 5:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a house in Oz

Originally Posted by LexiJ
Hi, just picked up on your post from last year. Might I ask which part of Queensland you're in? We're in the process of looking for a house to buy and are after recommendations for a law firm to handle the legals. Many thanks in anticipation.
If I were you (I was once ) I'd google some in the area you're buying in and check out any reviews that show up. We were possibly stupid and bought a place within two weeks of landing having never been before or knowing more than one person, we trusted our Real Estate agent (again possibly stupid)to suggest a solicitor. Anyway they were great and it all went through very quickly and painlessly. We moved in three weeks later. 12 and a half years we still love the property.
Old May 14th 2018, 1:41 am
Just Joined

carzinoz09 is an unknown quantity at this point

Following.

We want to sell in UK and buy in NSW. I'm self employed in NSW and have been told I need to provide 3 years accounts from the accountant detailing my income. If you're a contractor and self employed maybe the situation is the same?
Old Jun 29th 2018, 1:07 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SoCalDon
Two more things to bear in mind is the stamp duty which, in Qld, is 1% of the purchase price and also the Foreign Ownership thingy which, as I just found out, is 3% of the purchase price.
)
that's not nice is it. How does that work if one of you is foreign and one of you is not. Do they just tax on 50 percent? The foreign thingy i mean.
Old Jun 30th 2018, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

SoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
that's not nice is it. How does that work if one of you is foreign and one of you is not. Do they just tax on 50 percent? The foreign thingy i mean.
Just the percentage, Karen. That's why we chose to show Sal down for 99% of our farm and me just the 1%. - it only cost an extra eighty bucks that way.

We haven't decided where my 320 square metres are yet - probably in the middle of a lake!
Old Jun 30th 2018, 4:49 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hahaha I'll try and remember that little wheeze if we ever consider buying something then.