Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying a house in Melbourne - costs etc ?!

Buying a house in Melbourne - costs etc ?!

Old Jun 20th 2007, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Buying a house in Melbourne - costs etc ?!

We appear to have gone from one extreme (recently signed 18 month rental lease) to another and in the space of 3 days have viewed some houses, put in an offer for one and today signed the contracts.

As a complete and utter novice to the Australian/Victorian house purchase process could someone please kindly give me an indication as to what the hell happens next and what the likely costs are for both the purchase and afterwards when we own ??!! e.g do we need to value, get a survey etc ? Do we pay council/land tax etc ?

Many thanks in advance. My health and my trousers now need some reassurance.

Haggis.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 8:21 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying a house in Melbourne - costs etc ?!

Originally Posted by haggis supper
We appear to have gone from one extreme (recently signed 18 month rental lease) to another and in the space of 3 days have viewed some houses, put in an offer for one and today signed the contracts.

As a complete and utter novice to the Australian/Victorian house purchase process could someone please kindly give me an indication as to what the hell happens next and what the likely costs are for both the purchase and afterwards when we own ??!! e.g do we need to value, get a survey etc ? Do we pay council/land tax etc ?

Many thanks in advance. My health and my trousers now need some reassurance.

Haggis.
Hi Haggis,

We have recently bought too.

Survey - you really should have made this a condition of purchase. Have you got the 3 day cooling off period. Have details of a surveyor if you want one.

Conveyancers fees. Ours was about $550 but have exact figures if you want. Again if you want her details I am happy to pass these on.

Stamp duty - ours was about $55,000 but again have exact figures in purchase file.

If you feel it is easier then PM me your number and I can call you and go through a few details.

Vanessa
Old Jun 20th 2007, 1:06 pm
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vanessa
Hi Haggis,

Survey - you really should have made this a condition of purchase. Have you got the 3 day cooling off period. Have details of a surveyor if you want one.

Conveyancers fees. Ours was about $550 but have exact figures if you want. Again if you want her details I am happy to pass these on.

Stamp duty - ours was about $55,000 but again have exact figures in purchase file.

If you feel it is easier then PM me your number and I can call you and go through a few details.

Vanessa
It would be great if you could PM me the details of your convenyencer & surveyor to Vanessa Many thanks
Old Jun 20th 2007, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Vanessa - have sent you a PM.
Cheers
Haggis

Originally Posted by Vanessa
Hi Haggis,

Vanessa
Old Jun 20th 2007, 1:47 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

HI Haggis there is a similiar thread going on in britvics just now

http://z7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/...?showtopic=410

just clicked this and realised it says happy birthday jody, lol, but there is a house buying thread on there..........honest
Old Jun 21st 2007, 11:46 am
RRZ
Forum Regular

RRZ is an unknown quantity at this point

I think this might help - if the link works - it's a buying and selling guide from the Victorian Consumer Affairs department. If the link doesn't work just go to http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au and look for the section on buying and selling property.

http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/CA256...perty~&2=~&3=~

Cheers