Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying a house ... a daft question?

Buying a house ... a daft question?

Old Sep 30th 2005, 7:47 am
birmingham to brisbane

cam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nice
Default Buying a house ... a daft question?

Here in the Uk we bought our house and intended to leave it to our daughter when we eventually passed on ... houses last for years and years over here .. and can be passed down generations

I read that most houses are made of timber over in aus ... how long do they last ... if we bought a house .. would my daugher get to live in it when we went?

sorry if it seems like a daft question but its just something i was thinking of in bed this morning

(by the way i'm only 35 .. and my daughter is 18months .. nothing like planning ahead )
Old Sep 30th 2005, 7:56 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying a house ... a daft question?

Are you having a laugh ?

Originally Posted by cam_uk
Here in the Uk we bought our house and intended to leave it to our daughter when we eventually passed on ... houses last for years and years over here .. and can be passed down generations

I read that most houses are made of timber over in aus ... how long do they last ... if we bought a house .. would my daugher get to live in it when we went?

sorry if it seems like a daft question but its just something i was thinking of in bed this morning

(by the way i'm only 35 .. and my daughter is 18months .. nothing like planning ahead )
Old Sep 30th 2005, 8:00 am
birmingham to brisbane

cam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nice

Originally Posted by Three Legs
Are you having a laugh ?
seriously??? ... NO ... it was just something i was thinking about this morning ...

but like the title suggests ... its more than likely a daft question ...

i was just wondering how long 'timber' houses last ... for example the house i live in currently is over 100 years old
Old Sep 30th 2005, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

seriously??? ... NO ... it was just something i was thinking about this morning ...

i was just wondering how long 'timber' houses last ... for example the house i live in currently is over 100 years old
Our house is made of logs!!
It is over 30 years old and we are modernising. It is showing no signs of ageing...

We should be more worried about termites and bush fires rather than ageing where we live.

The other consideration is the roof! a lot are made from corrie and that wont last long either. Your best bet would be to invest in a place in the UK for her if you can.
Old Sep 30th 2005, 8:13 am
birmingham to brisbane

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
It is over 30 years old and we are modernising. It is showing no signs of ageing...
this is what i was wondering ... how long houses last ... 30years and no signs of ageing is fine .. i was just wondering if they lasted as long as houses do over here .. (i understand the ongoing maintenance of timber is more important than that of brick houses)

I'd love to be able to afford to buy her a house back here but theres no chance of that
Old Sep 30th 2005, 8:13 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Before you leave, I suggest you take a holiday to Norway, Sweden or Denmark ...

It may help your thought process.

Old Sep 30th 2005, 8:20 am
birmingham to brisbane

Originally Posted by Three Legs
Before you leave, I suggest you take a holiday to Norway, Sweden or Denmark ...

It may help your thought process.

sorry i just thought it was a valid (if a little daft) question ..

its not something i thought a lot about really ..
Old Sep 30th 2005, 8:26 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry i just thought it was a valid (if a little daft) question ..

its not something i thought a lot about really ..

It is a valid question. Ignore Three legs

If you are buying a house here, particularly a modern one (i.e. post 1950) they aren't built to last for generations. There is much more of a tradition here of flattening houses and building another new one (which again will probably only last for 50 years).

So really, if you buy a house you are really buying the plot of land for your child, and in thirty/forty years time, if and when you are pushing up daisies, they'll come along and flatten it and build the latest modern style house.

The only houses here that last are brick ones, and proper Queenslanders. All the modern stuff is built cheap and replaced easily.

ADL
Old Sep 30th 2005, 8:38 am
birmingham to brisbane

Originally Posted by A dogs life
It is a valid question. Ignore Three legs

If you are buying a house here, particularly a modern one (i.e. post 1950) they aren't built to last for generations. There is much more of a tradition here of flattening houses and building another new one (which again will probably only last for 50 years).

So really, if you buy a house you are really buying the plot of land for your child, and in thirty/forty years time, if and when you are pushing up daisies, they'll come along and flatten it and build the latest modern style house.

The only houses here that last are brick ones, and proper Queenslanders. All the modern stuff is built cheap and replaced easily.

ADL
Ah right .. i see .. thanks alot for your reply .. totally different concept to here in the uk ... not a bad thing .. but just different ...
Old Sep 30th 2005, 9:47 am
I liek beer

DevMountain is an unknown quantity at this point

There is no such thing as a daft question here (except maybe asking about the availability of custard) - moving to a new country has lots of unknowns, if we can help answer your questions (no matter how trivial) then we'll try out best
Old Sep 30th 2005, 12:25 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

for example the house i live in currently is over 100 years old
So is ours, still going strong .
Old Sep 30th 2005, 12:31 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DevMountain
There is no such thing as a daft question here (except maybe asking about the availability of custard)

can you get birds? or is there an aussie equivalent?
Old Sep 30th 2005, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond repute

Not a silly question at all....although I did read a book once about 3 little pigs and building houses from different materials...

Sorry it is friday an all that
Old Sep 30th 2005, 1:14 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Buying a house ... a daft question?

I read that most houses are made of timber over in aus ...
You read wrong. They're not.

And those few which are, will last for generations.

Back home I had an asbestos timber-frame house with a timber-frame roof which was built in 1945 and still going strong in 2001. The wood was jarrah, a native West Australian hardwood which is virtually indestructible - even to insects.
Old Sep 30th 2005, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know where you got the idea that all houses are made of wood. The only areas (apart from old Queenslanders) that have weatherboard houses are out in the country or in the (originally) poor suburbs, built for the workers.

Sydney has huge areas of brick Victorian houses (eg. Paddington terraces) that are still standing 120 years later. Our house is double brick, built in the 1920s like millions of other houses and solid as a rock.

Even the huge tracts of project homes out in the far suburbs are built of one layer of brick.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.