Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying a house after arriving in OZ

Buying a house after arriving in OZ

Old Aug 19th 2007, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

SKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud of
Default Buying a house after arriving in OZ

I would like some info from the people who have already bought a house in OZ, when they first arrived without a job.
I've heard people using RAM'S and would like to know what documents they needed, and how much deposit they needed?

When we arrive in Oz, we have $45K for a deposit and would like to use the rest of our money to set up a business.
Who should we use? a broker or straight through the companies like rams.
Any info would help

Thanks
Old Aug 19th 2007, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Buying a house after arriving in OZ

Originally Posted by SKIPPI79
I would like some info from the people who have already bought a house in OZ, when they first arrived without a job.
I've heard people using RAM'S and would like to know what documents they needed, and how much deposit they needed?

When we arrive in Oz, we have $45K for a deposit and would like to use the rest of our money to set up a business.
Any info would help

Thanks
I believe rams have just been hit badly by the financial problems in the US. I think that right now they are a no go area...
Old Aug 19th 2007, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The S's
I believe rams have just been hit badly by the financial problems in the US. I think that right now they are a no go area...
You will also pay a much higher interest rate if you use RAMS!!!

If you are NOR try Ollie at Westpac!!! He is brilliant!!
Old Aug 19th 2007, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Any info would help

Thanks
You could also try the migration dept at Commonwealth Bank. We spoke to Ming Levy. I've know a few people now to set up accounts for when they got here. The migration dept have been very helpful. Obviously they want your business but at the same time know you have just arrived.
Old Aug 19th 2007, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Any info would help

Thanks
Which State are you arriving in?

What sort of a business do you seek?

If you are arriving in WA I may have an easy to run business on my books for you?

I have sold incoming migrants on the old 457 business visa a mechanical workshop/service station; several deli/corner shops, a Chinese Restaurant, a cabinet making factory, a coffee shop, a dine-in/take-away cafe, and a fishing tackle shop.

I mainly deal in residential dwelling houses NOR; but I am also a business broker too.

If I can help in any way........ sing out?
Old Aug 20th 2007, 9:15 pm
Banned

Nursebank will become famous soon enoughNursebank will become famous soon enough

Silly question maybe, but why would you consider buying a house, when it is so much cheaper to rent?

Is it a British thing, we must own, we cannot rent, we must be in charge?

I mean to service a mortgage is twice the expense of renting, you can live in a better area for half the cost, and have no, zero maintenance, so why buy, why buy into a market where cost is so based on pure speculation and loose lending practices.

Rent, enjoy, let someone else bear the brunt of capital losses?

A house is a place to live, not a temple of financial wealth, wealth is something many can only dream of actually ever obtaining, and it will never be based on a finite amount of land where your temple is built?

Wahooooooooooooo, give me that camper van!
Old Aug 21st 2007, 9:36 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nursebank
Silly question maybe, but why would you consider buying a house, when it is so much cheaper to rent?

I mean to service a mortgage is twice the expense of renting, you can live in a better area for half the cost, and have no, zero maintenance, so why buy, why buy into a market where cost is so based on pure speculation and loose lending practices.

A house is a place to live, not a temple of financial wealth, wealth is something many can only dream of actually ever obtaining, and it will never be based on a finite amount of land where your temple is built?

Having had three rentals in two years I couldn't disagree more!

You are at the whim of the landlord, there are so many crooked practices it's laughable, and you can be chucked out at a moment's notice..
Old Aug 21st 2007, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Nursebank

I'm guessing you are not in Sydney
Old Aug 21st 2007, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

Any info would help

Thanks
Hi there

I'd be looking at using an Australian broker who deals with overseas arrivals such as yourself- I'm sure there's someone here who can recommend someone reputable.

As for $45K, depending on where you're settling, this isn't an awful lot especially when you factor in other costs (stamp duty, legal costs, moving etc) - location matters a lot here! Where are you intending to move to?

As for renting, agree with Waj- far better to own if you're able to, even if you start out small and upgrade over the years.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

SKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud of

Thanks, as for the $45k that a rough estimate, and only as a deposit, have other funds for the stamp duty, notory etc etc.
We'll be looking up in QLD, somewhere between hervey bay and cairns. Still need to do a reccie.
In my opinion, your alot better off with buying, as everyone has personal tastes, and not always allowed to change and do things in a rental, and like said before, you can always get chucked out of a rental with short notice, and moving isn't the most fun thing to do.

I was acutally after someones experiences about buying upon arrival.

thanks anyway