Buying house

Old Sep 21st 2010, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Buying house

Originally Posted by Margaret3
I've been reading threads like that for 3.5 years now and the house prices in melbourne continue to go up and up
Do you think 3.5 years is a long time? I've heard research cited that suggested it takes 7 years on average for an economy to recover from the effects of an asset bubble bursting. That is the wider economy, not prices for the asset concerned. If you think 3.5 years is a long time when the economy is ticking along then try 7 years of economic depression. 3.5 years would not be a long time if you had a decade or more of negative equity to work through.

Last edited by Steve2009; Sep 21st 2010 at 1:20 am.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 1:23 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve2009
Do you think 3.5 years is a long time? I've heard research cited that suggested it takes 7 years on average for an economy to recover from the effects of an asset bubble bursting. That is the wider economy, not prices for the asset concerned. If you think 3.5 years is a long time when the economy is ticking along then try 7 years of economic depression.
I bow to your superior knowledge i am clueless about this stuff (just a lowly nurse mate), all am saying is i see absolutely no slow down of the house prices and sales in melbourne, dont get me wrong i would be delighter to see it. I know people talk about houses, economy, profit and loss , investment on here, but all i want is an affordable home, am not interested in making x profit or y loss, i just want a home!!

The only other thing i do know , is i did work through a decade of negative equity in the 80's/early90's, am knocking on 50 now and cant believe am living in rented accomm........

Last edited by Margaret3; Sep 21st 2010 at 1:27 am.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

I bow to your superior knowledge i am clueless about this stuff (just a lowly nurse mate), all am saying is i see absolutely no slow down of the house prices and sales in melbourne, dont get me wrong i would be delighter to see it. I know people talk about houses, economy, profit and loss , investment on here, but all i want is an affordable home, am not interested in making x profit or y loss, i just want a home!!
I wouldn't suggest my knowledge is superior. I think people should be aware of the risks of buying property though. There's a lot of hype around the property market, hype that surrounded other markets that collapsed. Buying a home is a huge financial commitment and people should go into the transaction with their eyes wide open. There's a lot of people in other markets very bitter right now that nobody told them this could happen. It's not about making a profit it's about the risk of serious financial hardship in the event of a collapse. If you're looking for affordable housing right now, you'd be well advised to consider renting. On a cash basis it works out a lot cheaper although there are other factors to consider.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 1:29 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't suggest my knowledge is superior. I think people should be aware of the risks of buying property though. There's a lot of hype around the property market, hype that surrounded other markets that collapsed. Buying a home is a huge financial commitment and people should go into the transaction with their eyes wide open. There's a lot of people in other markets very bitter right now that nobody told them this could happen. It's not about making a profit it's about the risk of serious financial hardship in the event of a collapse. If you're looking for affordable housing right now, you'd be well advised to consider renting. On a cash basis it works out a lot cheaper although there are other factors to consider.
Been renting since we got to aus, the reason we haven't bought it we just cant afford to, so obviously renting is the safer bet for us!
Old Sep 21st 2010, 1:33 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Do heuristics require a scientific basis?
No they don't. And lets be honest here... they're also not very good.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 1:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

The soft landing has been spruiked in other housing bubbles before, perhaps every housing bubble before. I would think when considering the likelihood of a pop that an important factor in the decision making process would be whether that pop is likely to happen in the first half of your mortgage term. If it happens after that then it's frustrating but not seriously detrimental to your financial wellbeing, i.e. you may have lost equity but you're not in serious negative equity. Personally I would prefer not to lose the equity at all, so am happy to enjoy the savings I can get from renting. Also, by the by, inflation is never guaranteed.
I don't listen to the spruiking either way as I don't know the background of the various commentators and not interested enough to find out.

I just think Australia is no different to anywhere else. Other countries had to have a catalyst before their market popped (ie changed conditions) so I would expect we would need that as well.

I watched the last 2 times this happened in Brisbane over the decades and the market landed quite softly with moderate drops and then just sat stagnant for a decade (with very slow increases behind inflation until houses were affordable again). If no other external factors induce a big pop I keep this in mind as a possibility this time as well.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

The only other thing i do know , is i did work through a decade of negative equity in the 80's/early90's, am knocking on 50 now and cant believe am living in rented accomm........
Fair play to you. I think it's actually I who should be bowing to your superior knowledge in this regard. Spare a thought for the poor sods of twenty somethings getting into 35 year mortgage terms right now. They're committing themselves to still having a mortgage in their late 60s. There may be a chance at an upside for them, but that's the contract they're signing.
Been renting since we got to aus, the reason we haven't bought it we just cant afford to, so obviously renting is the safer bet for us!
I wouldn't fancy getting into a hefty mortgage when I'm at your age either. Hope everything works out in the end for you. If it's any consolation at least your landlord is substantially subsidising your lifestyle at the moment.

Last edited by Steve2009; Sep 21st 2010 at 1:39 am.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by asprilla
No they don't. And lets be honest here... they're also not very good.
Thank you for expressing your esteemed opinion on the value of heuristics. I'm sure it will benefit the discussion on house prices no end.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fish.01
I just think Australia is no different to anywhere else. Other countries had to have a catalyst before their market popped (ie changed conditions) so I would expect we would need that as well.
You're probably right that there will be some catalyst, that has been a feature in other bubbles. Bubbles are unpredictable.
Originally Posted by fish.01
I watched the last 2 times this happened in Brisbane over the decades and the market landed quite softly with moderate drops and then just sat stagnant for a decade (with very slow increases behind inflation until houses were affordable again). If no other external factors induce a big pop I keep this in mind as a possibility this time as well.
It has been a feature of other bubbles that they have had pauses. From what I've seen the Australian bubble would seem to have ramped up considerably in the last decade. There are lots of factors to be considered, including government intervention, which make predicting a crash difficult. Given the duration of most mortgage contracts now I think you'd have to take quite a long term view on likelihood of a crash.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 5:20 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
I just want to echo pomtastic's sentiments. At the moment the real estate market is very slow (of course the agent will claim otherwise). I can see that in kellyville ridge alone, there are over 120 houses for sale (4-2-2 config).

Just remember that there will always be another nice house around the corner, if you don't get this one.
Well said
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 4:37 am
Forum Regular

GoldCoastOrBust is just really niceGoldCoastOrBust is just really niceGoldCoastOrBust is just really niceGoldCoastOrBust is just really niceGoldCoastOrBust is just really niceGoldCoastOrBust is just really niceGoldCoastOrBust is just really niceGoldCoastOrBust is just really nice

Originally Posted by paulry
Well said
On the GC houses aren't shifting at all, very slow market. I would be cheeky, a mate of my has sold his recently for a lot less than the asking...