Buying house

Old Sep 20th 2010, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying house

Originally Posted by paulry
After reading some of the responses here and given that the Australian property bubble looks ready to pop I would make a much lower initial offer. In fact I'm not sure that I would risk entering the property market at this stage.
What do you think is going to make it pop now?
Old Sep 20th 2010, 2:58 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
What do you think is going to make it pop now?
Sorry, perhaps pop was too strong a word for me to put on it. More like a gradual deflation. The prices appear outrageously high as a start. I hear that loads of businesses are struggling which will inevitably lead at some stage to redundancies. I also hear that people are struggling to maintain their monthly payments given the high value to income ratios. And cashed up migrants willing to buy with their weakened currencies are becoming rarer so demand is reduced. It surely has to translate to lower house prices some time soon?
Old Sep 20th 2010, 3:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, perhaps pop was too strong a word for me to put on it. More like a gradual deflation. The prices appear outrageously high as a start. I hear that loads of businesses are struggling which will inevitably lead at some stage to redundancies. I also hear that people are struggling to maintain their monthly payments given the high value to income ratios. And cashed up migrants willing to buy with their weakened currencies are becoming rarer so demand is reduced. It surely has to translate to lower house prices some time soon?
Employment seems to be strengthening if anything. My company is back to hiring again. Mining boom again. Talk of skills shortages is returning. I thought just the pound had dropped not the yuan etc? I think the steam has already gone out of house prices with some drops reported. Without some major cause, rising unemployment, china crash etc, I suspect they may just flatten until inflation reduces house price/salary ratio over time.

Last edited by fish.01; Sep 20th 2010 at 3:07 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 7:34 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Employment seems to be strengthening if anything. My company is back to hiring again. Mining boom again. Talk of skills shortages is returning. I thought just the pound had dropped not the yuan etc? I think the steam has already gone out of house prices with some drops reported. Without some major cause, rising unemployment, china crash etc, I suspect they may just flatten until inflation reduces house price/salary ratio over time.
Where I'm at right now we're staring redundancies and economic hardship in the face. It'll take some doing to get used to the relative optimism and bouyancy of the Australian situation.

But it's guesswork how things are going to eventually pan out. Too many variables. And prices that today seem extortionate might appear as cheap as chips 10 years from now.

The estate agent who spoke to the OP was out of order. $20k from the asking price as an initial offer is very reasonable - even generous. Most prospective buyers would pitch it much lower.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Where I'm at right now we're staring redundancies and economic hardship in the face.
I guess in your position it would be unwise to buy property, but just because your work is not going so good does not mean the rest of the nation is going come to a dead stop.

Companies go out of business all the time, even at times when the economy is growing. Such is life.

Good luck in the future.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

New_guy123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pomtastic
Where are you buying? Makes a HUGE difference. Plenty of suburbs in Perth for example have 150+ houses up for sale and yet on 10 under offer or sold. You can lowball as much as you want.

Agents are ****ing arseholes here in Aus, just 6 weeks of training and they are 'qualified'. If the agent knows you are a newbie then they'll play on your ignorance. On my rare occassions that I go to home opens the agent always gives me the spiel thinking that I've just got off the boat and say I've got to hurry up and buy before the 'boom'. I then tell them I have several investment properties that I'd like to sell NOW but as you reckon they are on the up, I'll hold off!

A 530K offer on a 550K property is very fair (depending on valuation of course), tell the agent you're looking a 5 similar properties and your offer if for 48 hours only.

JUST REMEMBER, A REAL ESTAtE AGENT NEEDS NO TERTIARY QUALIFIACATIONS, SAME AS A SECOND HAND CAR DEALER, BUT WORSE!!
The house that we made an offer was in Kellyville Ridge, NSW. It was 4BR, 2 toilets, 2 garages, single storey house, 3yrs old, 420sqm.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 11:14 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by New_guy123
The house that we made an offer was in Kellyville Ridge, NSW. It was 4BR, 2 toilets, 2 garages, single storey house, 3yrs old, 420sqm.
I just want to echo pomtastic's sentiments. At the moment the real estate market is very slow (of course the agent will claim otherwise). I can see that in kellyville ridge alone, there are over 120 houses for sale (4-2-2 config).

Just remember that there will always be another nice house around the corner, if you don't get this one.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by asprilla
that's a really rubbish rule !
What's your basis for making that statement having no knowledge of these markets? I would say it's quite a good rule for markets where there is zero price information except asking prices.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

The soft landing has been spruiked in other housing bubbles before, perhaps every housing bubble before. I would think when considering the likelihood of a pop that an important factor in the decision making process would be whether that pop is likely to happen in the first half of your mortgage term. If it happens after that then it's frustrating but not seriously detrimental to your financial wellbeing, i.e. you may have lost equity but you're not in serious negative equity. Personally I would prefer not to lose the equity at all, so am happy to enjoy the savings I can get from renting. Also, by the by, inflation is never guaranteed.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 12:47 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve2009
What's your basis for making that statement having no knowledge of these markets? I would say it's quite a good rule for markets where there is zero price information except asking prices.
Well my basis is quite straightforward. There is no science in your "rule" whatsoever. Therefore, it is a rubbish rule.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 12:49 am
Account Open

Originally Posted by Steve2009
The soft landing has been spruiked in other housing bubbles before, perhaps every housing bubble before. I would think when considering the likelihood of a pop that an important factor in the decision making process would be whether that pop is likely to happen in the first half of your mortgage term. If it happens after that then it's frustrating but not seriously detrimental to your financial wellbeing, i.e. you may have lost equity but you're not in serious negative equity. Personally I would prefer not to lose the equity at all, so am happy to enjoy the savings I can get from renting. Also, by the by, inflation is never guaranteed.
For someone who enjoys renting so much, you've got more than a passing interest in property markets. I find this peculiar.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Well my basis is quite straightforward. There is no science in your "rule" whatsoever. Therefore, it is a rubbish rule.
Do heuristics require a scientific basis? I'm commenting on a falling market with no price information and tiny volumes. The implication is that you would be crazy to be in the market as a buyer and if you are then you better be embarrassed of your offers.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

For someone who enjoys renting so much, you've got more than a passing interest in property markets. I find this peculiar.
I enjoy the savings currently offered by renting. I would enjoy the savings offered by buying if the market tipped in favour of that option. I have an interest in the property market in general, I don't think that's peculiar.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 12:54 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by New_guy123
Hi Guys,

After getting our PR we decided to look for a house (first time buyer). We found one house that we like and made an offer. Price of the house is 550K, we made an offer to start at 530K. The real estate agent said "are you joking on your offer?".
Out of interest, what would the same (or comparable) property cost to rent?
Old Sep 21st 2010, 1:14 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been reading threads like that for 3.5 years now and the house prices in melbourne continue to go up and up, there is not a decent house in the suburb we stay (Glen Waverley for under 600.000)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.