Buying A House

Old Jun 7th 2004, 8:38 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of
Default Buying A House

Morning All,

I'm sure this has been gone over before but I can't find a definate answer to my question.

I thought I was going to get a permanent Spouse Visa it looks like I am only going to get a temp visa for 2 years then have to apply for perm visa after that.

Anyway back to the main question, Is it correct that I cannot but a house with my hubby unless it is a brand new one as I wont have PR?

Cheers
Kala
Old Jun 7th 2004, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

invictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really nice

No, totally incorrect, I was on a Spouse Temp visa and I bought our first house in Australia with no problems at all, for the record, the "next" bit of your Visa, after the 2 year wait to become PR is pretty easy, DIMA write to you at the aus address you give them about 3 months before your Temp visa expires, if your relationship is genuine (which I'm sure it is!) all you have to prove is that you still live together, i'e' joint Bank accounts, mortgage papers, you also need a stat dec from someone who will confirm that your relationship is ongoing, get all bills put in joint names from the beginning and you should have no problem, mt PR Visa came through 24 April 2001, having landed in Aus Sept 1999, I then became eligible for citizenship 24 april 2003, which I got in Jan 2004! (thats another story).

The only thing I found was a pain was I had to re apply for a medicare card every year until I got PR, which really was a pain 'cos you have to go to the nearest Medicare office personally which in my case was a 4 hour drive each way!
Best of luck!
Sal x
Old Jun 7th 2004, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Invicta,

you had to reapply for your medicare card?

When I was on my spouse provisional visa, Medicare kept sending me the bloody things about once every three months.

And to the oridinal thread, although we didnt buy until after I got full permanent residency, the mortgage advisers we did see whilst on the provisional visa didnt seem to see any problems
Old Jun 7th 2004, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

invictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really nice

Yeah Trev,

They sent me a blue one which was only valid for 12 months at a time, right pain in arse it was, very happy now to have nice green one like everyone else!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, once your kids reach 18, they have to apply for one of their own and they then send you another one with kid taken off, so I've now had 4 since I've been here! Shall keep them all, 'cos they might be collectors items one day! LOL>
Old Jun 7th 2004, 10:26 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally posted by invictia
No, totally incorrect, I was on a Spouse Temp visa and I bought our first house in Australia with no problems at all, for the record, the "next" bit of your Visa, after the 2 year wait to become PR is pretty easy, DIMA write to you at the aus address you give them about 3 months before your Temp visa expires, if your relationship is genuine (which I'm sure it is!) all you have to prove is that you still live together, i'e' joint Bank accounts, mortgage papers, you also need a stat dec from someone who will confirm that your relationship is ongoing, get all bills put in joint names from the beginning and you should have no problem, mt PR Visa came through 24 April 2001, having landed in Aus Sept 1999, I then became eligible for citizenship 24 april 2003, which I got in Jan 2004! (thats another story).

The only thing I found was a pain was I had to re apply for a medicare card every year until I got PR, which really was a pain 'cos you have to go to the nearest Medicare office personally which in my case was a 4 hour drive each way!
Best of luck!
Sal x
Thank you very much for the info, Monday morning picking up now 1 bit of bad news followed by good news.

I'm gonna be in a similar situation to you with the medicard as we are moving out in the sticks but it has gotta be easier that this whole visa application malarky.

Thanks
Kala
Old Jun 7th 2004, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

Talking

May be pain, but look at it this way, only once a year but you get the chance to go shopping etc........ living so far from Adelaide (900 kms), we make a bee line for K Mart, target Coles etc., always go armed with list from female work collegues for knickers and Bras! The downside to living so far remote! we are 4 hours drive from the nearest fast food outlet! Although we have chinese takeway in town now. Where are you heading for?
Old Jun 7th 2004, 10:48 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

Originally posted by invictia
May be pain, but look at it this way, only once a year but you get the chance to go shopping etc........ living so far from Adelaide (900 kms), we make a bee line for K Mart, target Coles etc., always go armed with list from female work collegues for knickers and Bras! The downside to living so far remote! we are 4 hours drive from the nearest fast food outlet! Although we have chinese takeway in town now. Where are you heading for?
Heading for the Geraldton area, It is 4 hours north of Perth Geraldton has supermarkets etc and is called a city but it is not what I would call a city. My Hubby's parents own a farm about an hour north of Geraldton so we are deciding whether to buy a farm up in the country a house in Geraldton or Perth. I think we will give Geraldton a go 1st and see how I go then if I dont feel too iscolated head up to the country.

Kala