Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying in hong kong?

Buying in hong kong?

Old Sep 21st 2005, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

gillies is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Buying in hong kong?

Me and my family are going out to auz in 2 weeks for a hol , we are stopping off in hong kong for 2 nights, i was wondering, can i buy eletrical equipment there and it still work hear in england? i heard it is cheaper there, i want to bye an ipod and digital camera, will they work back hear?
Old Sep 21st 2005, 6:24 pm
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice
Default Re: Bye in hong kong?

Originally Posted by gillies
Me and my family are going out to auz in 2 weeks for a hol , we are stopping off in hong kong for 2 nights, i was wondering, can i bye eletrical equipment there and it still work hear in england? i heard it is cheaper there, i want to bye an ipod and digital camera, will they work back hear?

Did you mean 'buy' as opposed to 'bye'?

Have visions here of you waving bye bye to lots of electrical equipment in HK as you walk down the street!!!

Old Sep 21st 2005, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

gillies is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry my son has put this post on and has just edited it as he realised his spelling mistake. He wants to know if he buys an ipod will it work in england and oz. thanks gill.
Old Sep 21st 2005, 6:48 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying in hong kong?

Yes - it'll work fine. Only issue you may have is with the charger for which you'll need an adapter. Not sure what sort of a saving you'll make on an iPod though - suspect you'll have much more luck buying a Japanese brand - Sony, Creative etc ...
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 4:41 pm
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice

Originally Posted by gillies
sorry my son has put this post on and has just edited it as he realised his spelling mistake. He wants to know if he buys an ipod will it work in england and oz. thanks gill.
Gill,

No worries.....I was just being pedantic after a stressy day at work!

Anyways, I bought an iPod a while ago...used it for a week then 'broke' it and got a refund! In all honesty, I dont rate it! You need to spend a small fortune on extras such as a simple mains charger (which should have neen included anyway) etc.......
Add to that a battery which wont see you through an average car trip and you have a waste of money!

I would definitely shop around. I like the look of the new Sony range....and value for money is head & shoulders above iPod.

Hope I have been of help.
Old Sep 24th 2005, 11:50 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Ipods in hong kong are not much different in price to ipods in UK - apple ipod is one ofthose truly global commodities, the price is the same +/- 5 quid anywhere. So buy in UK for 5 or 10 quid more and be happy. Dont mess about in HK trying to get one.

A sony PSP on theother hand is 100AU$ cheaper in HK than in Aus a nintendo DS is only 10$AU cheaper inHK than AU

So somethings are cheap - notably the older technology - you can get a 7" lcd screen for the car for 50 quid in HK night market , try doing that at halfords.. But newish global brands like ipod or nintendo DS or PSP are not significantly different to warrant the risk of buying wihtout warranty.

Owner of Ipod 6gb (old mini) and love it to death - wouldnt get a nano because of no provision for Itrip and I love having IPOD music wherever there is a radio like car/hotel room etc.
Old Sep 24th 2005, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice
Default Re: Buying in hong kong?

Have bought electrical stuff in HK a few times and have never had problems with it in the UK - same plugs etc....

A good start for where to buy is Fortress which has many branches and is popular with the locals. Spares you the agony of haggling.

www.fortress.com.hk

Neil