Reload this Page >

Buying Furniture

Buying Furniture

Old Nov 10th 2012, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

moving_to_Victoria is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying Furniture

Hello all,

Finally, the time is here when we will leave for Australia. I am only renting in the UK now and as such do not have much of my furniture.

However, there are lots of posts suggesting that it is expensive to buy furniture in Victoria. So, here is my question: Is it sensible to buy furniture here in the UK and get it shipped? My employer has given me a relocation allowance which I can use on shipping, buying stuff in Australia or both.

I am just trying to make the best use of the allowance.

Thanks all.

Rj
Old Nov 10th 2012, 7:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying Furniture

Originally Posted by moving_to_Victoria
Hello all,

Finally, the time is here when we will leave for Australia. I am only renting in the UK now and as such do not have much of my furniture.

However, there are lots of posts suggesting that it is expensive to buy furniture in Victoria. So, here is my question: Is it sensible to buy furniture here in the UK and get it shipped? My employer has given me a relocation allowance which I can use on shipping, buying stuff in Australia or both.

Thanks all.

Rj

I would just buy furniture here with the relocation money and save the hassle of shipping. Furniture is not that expensive here.

e.g. http://www.superamart.com.au/furniture/debbie-41334/

Ikea here is more expensive.

Last edited by Alfresco; Nov 10th 2012 at 7:22 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2012, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

Thanks all.

Rj
Welcome Rj

Agree with Alfresco, its better financially to just purchase locally and plenty of places are doing complete flat/house fit out deals.

Also look at sites like gumtree for 2nd hand items

Oh and technically if you purchase the items in UK within 12 months of leaving you are supposed to declare them for customs duty when arriving in Australia.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

moving_to_Victoria is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the very helpful advice !!

I will do my furniture shopping from Oz now

Rj
Old Nov 12th 2012, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the very helpful advice !!

I will do my furniture shopping from Oz now

Rj
I notice you're heading to country Victoria, however if you can get your hands on a suitable vehicle and/or trailer then it may be worth having a look in Dandenong (about 1½ hours from Traralgon, and less than an hour from Warragul if you end up there) on the Frankston-Dandenong Road (lots of furniture shops there, and you can get good prices for decent stuff that isn't flatpack). Also there's the Furniture Clearance Centre in Hallam on the Princes Highway.