Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying an engagement ring - UK or Australia?

Buying an engagement ring - UK or Australia?

Old Aug 11th 2011, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

scoobygan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying an engagement ring - UK or Australia?

I'll be nipping back over to the uk later this year, at about the same time I'm planning on proposing to my girlfriend.

I was wondering whether anyone has any experience of the price of engagement rings in Aus vs the UK.

I know that everyday items in Aus are generally massively more expensive than the uk, but whether that also applies to diamond rings - I don't know, and every ring is different, so checking out jeweller websites in each country for a comparison isn't easy.

Has anybody looked at this?
Old Aug 11th 2011, 12:17 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying an engagement ring - UK or Australia?

Hi there and welcome to B.E.

It's my pleasant duty to welcome you to the forum and give you a point of contact should you need any help with the site in general. You can contact me here.

A list of all the moderators and helpers with their relevant countries including Australia can be found here.

Any problems, dont hesitate to PM me.

As to the ring, I haven't seen much Australin jewellery that seems to have the same colour gold that you can get in the UK - might just be me but I've seen others mention it as well. The carat measurement is different too. Depends on your taste but if you are going for 18 or 24, then I'd go with the UK stuff.

Only my humble opinion though.

Enjoy B.E.

Alistair.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

Hi Alistair, thanks for the welcome
Old Aug 11th 2011, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

Dennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to all

Originally Posted by scoobygan
Hi Alistair, thanks for the welcome
Diamonds and Gold definatley buy in the Uk, Tried to buy a plain pair of sleepers for my daughter approx $90 same type in Argos about 10 quid
Old Aug 11th 2011, 1:21 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Buy cheap, it's all doomed ... <cask induced bitterness ends >
Old Aug 11th 2011, 2:02 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Go have a riot and loot a jewellers Does she like diamonds? Blokes always think of diamonds, I'd have hated one. Well, hated is a bit strong obviously but they're not my favourite. Whilst a proposal is lovely, unless you know her inside out and back to front I'd let her choose the ring. (Don't go to Argos though, she may well say no)

I'm not giving you the info you're after, am I? Sorry.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
(Don't go to Argos though, she may well say no)
Now there's a thought, do Argos still do their 16 day moneyback guarantee - just in case she says no?

She's pointed out enough rings in jeweler windows that I have a pretty good (exact) idea of what she wants
Old Aug 11th 2011, 10:50 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Now there's a thought, do Argos still do their 16 day moneyback guarantee - just in case she says no?

She's pointed out enough rings in jeweler windows that I have a pretty good (exact) idea of what she wants
Really? What I pointed out to my old man is actually nothing like what I would have wanted. I wanted an emerald cut of at least 1 carat set in platinum with tapered baguettes from Tiffany http://au.tiffany.com/Engagement/Ite...004/0/0/0/1004 What I got was this. http://www.peoplesjewellers.com/prod...uctId=10753406

Take her with you to buy the ring whereever you get it.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

i had our engagement ring custom made at a jeweller in Hatton Gardens in London (Near Farringdon). From memory It was with a 1.3 or something carat D VVS1 diamond, platinum ring and four additional small stones subtly placed on the back of the ring (garnet, amethyst - our birth stones, and emerald and ruby - part titles of two of my favourite songs).

It was hand made and cost around GBP 3200 iirc, and was independently valued for insurance purposes at around GBP 5000.

I dont know how much it is to do a customised DIY job in Australia, but I would certainly recommend the jewellers along Hatton Gardens.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 11:15 pm

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife's aunt knows her gems and she buys diamonds here when she is on holiday from the UK.Something to do with colour.Just add.Not from the high street.Diamond dealers/merchants or whatever they trade under.

Last edited by ukecadet; Aug 12th 2011 at 12:20 am. Reason: after thought
Old Aug 11th 2011, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

As a wedding photographer I've seen a few engagement rings! The only thing I would say is, and depending on what she has shown you, a lot of the rings in Oz are bigger and more sparkly than UK ones which tend to be more subtle.

Anyway, just had a quick Google for you and both Ernest Jones and Goldsmiths both have lots online so you can compare UK ones and prices to Aussie ones before you go - sorted!!!!

If by chance you have a stopover in Singapore check out Gold Heart as I've bought replacement engagement and wedding rings there and got a huge discount in the sales which worked out much cheaper than Oz or UK for more or less the same thing. Singapore styles tend to be more like Aussie rings as well.

Good luck and hope she says YES!!!!
Old Aug 11th 2011, 11:25 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be nipping back over to the uk later this year, at about the same time I'm planning on proposing to my girlfriend.

I was wondering whether anyone has any experience of the price of engagement rings in Aus vs the UK.

I know that everyday items in Aus are generally massively more expensive than the uk, but whether that also applies to diamond rings - I don't know, and every ring is different, so checking out jeweller websites in each country for a comparison isn't easy.

Has anybody looked at this?
Don't spend too much
Old Aug 11th 2011, 11:31 pm
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Aren't Goldsmiths the bottom end of the market? I spoke to a lady in the Angus & Coote store and she said that 3 companies were all owned by the same mob, Goldsmiths are the bottom end (sounds rude), Prouds are middle-for-diddle and Angus & Coote are the higher end. In which case I would be wary of using Goldsmiths as a benchmark.

I have my late mother's engagement ring as my engagement ring so that didn't really come into it, OH was delighted with this arrangement as is saved him some dosh However, we bought our wedding rings while I was back in the UK as there is much more variety there. I didn't think ours were particularly unusual but apprently it is the weight and quality of them that has impressed many of our australian friends. I would tend to go with UK for engagement ring to get that something a little bit different. I'm sure you can get beautiful high quality jewellery here, I just think it's more easily accessible to find "the one" over there.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

I think in most high streets H Samuels is the bottom then Ernest Jones middle and Goldsmiths tops...so on your scoring H Samuels must be the equivalent of Argos

I lost a bracelet that OH had bought me so we claimed on the insurance and they sent me vouchers for Goldsmiths and certainly out of our Brighton stores they were the most expensive out of the three.

Still, doesn't matter which shop as long as he finds something she will like!

p.s. he could always go to Tiffany's....
Old Aug 12th 2011, 12:32 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

We were looking to buy a new gold ring recently

TBH most of the Australia jewellers we went into would have made Ratners look upmarket.

We eneded buying one in Cambridge in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.