Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying elec goods, haggling??

Buying elec goods, haggling??

Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute
Default Buying elec goods, haggling??

Hello,

Ive read on here that people haggle for Elec goods in shops!

Well as new to this, and dont want to make a complete berk out of myself.

What sort of % to people knock off the original price?

Any hints and tips appreciated. Is it just Elec or all shops eg furniture stores?

Will be in WA.

GEMS
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:52 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Buying elec goods, haggling??

Originally Posted by Gems
Hello,

Ive read on here that people haggle for Elec goods in shops!

Well as new to this, and dont want to make a complete berk out of myself.

What sort of % to people knock off the original price?

Any hints and tips appreciated. Is it just Elec or all shops eg furniture stores?

Will be in WA.

GEMS
Hello Gems.

Yeah you can haggle away in most electrical stores.
I'm in WA too and haggled all the way to the bank saved quite alot infact.

You have to just say how you feel to the shop assistant...ie: say" will it be cheaper for cash?"
"i can get it alot cheaper in another shop"

I had two stores competing over me many times. Go for it!
Old Jun 12th 2007, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

Haggling is a must. I let my fingers do the walking, find the model I am interested in, then ring round a few stores till I get the cheapest price. Then you can haggle some more when you go into the store. I dont enjoy it to be honest, but I dont like getting ripped off either. If you are a member of a trade union in Australia, they have the " Union Shopper" where you ring them with the lowest price you have been given and they usually beat that for you as well. you can save hundreds of dollars on one item.

Jewellry and white goods have the highest mark up prices of anything I find. Never pay the full price.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 1:17 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

I always haggle with products rather than price. E.g., Offer to pay full price for the $1,000 TV if they give you the $200 microwave for free.

And always at the end when they want to charge you for delivery (if applicable) just laugh!

Andrew
Old Jun 13th 2007, 1:46 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrew63
I always haggle with products rather than price. E.g., Offer to pay full price for the $1,000 TV if they give you the $200 microwave for free.

And always at the end when they want to charge you for delivery (if applicable) just laugh!

Andrew
Yep. Just bought a $850 dishwasher for $649 with delivery next day thrown in. Almost got a breadmaker thrown in, but the sales guy would have had to go ask his manager, so I said never mind. We'll just go for the 200 off the sticker price.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 1:51 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

You can only try. The biggest risk is minor embarassment when they refuse to discount (unlikely) or if you offer too little. If that happens, you can just avoid the shop in the future!
Old Jun 13th 2007, 1:57 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Haggle away!

I used to do it in the UK too with a fair degree of success (especially for cash transactions).

As auspal said Union Shopper is well worth considering especially for big purchases.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by auspal
Haggling is a must. I let my fingers do the walking, find the model I am interested in, then ring round a few stores till I get the cheapest price. Then you can haggle some more when you go into the store.........
I also do this, it's quite effective, you just pick your major stores, get prices, then phone again and ask if they can beat your cheapest price.

J
Old Jun 13th 2007, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Lal Lal a rural community outside Ballarat VIC, previously Kent England
oliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by matt-and-jenny
I also do this, it's quite effective, you just pick your major stores, get prices, then phone again and ask if they can beat your cheapest price.

J
Yep, we do it too we just say "how much for cash"

we have odne this for...
electric blankets,
tv
digi box
phones
car
and a whole lot more!

In all we have saved a bundle!
Lisa.xx