Reload this Page >

Buying a DVD Recorder from the UK for use in Oz

Buying a DVD Recorder from the UK for use in Oz

Old Dec 27th 2004, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

sunnysyd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a DVD Recorder from the UK for use in Oz

Hi
If anybody has any warnings/tips I'd appreciate it...I want to buy a DVD recorder on the net from the UK because its almost $600 cheaper in the UK!! The model is the Pioneer 720H which sells in David Jones in Sydney for $1699 but is available in the UK for £450 !!

What should I worry about??

Thanks in advance

S
Old Dec 27th 2004, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

chippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to all
Default Re: Buying a DVD Recorder from the UK for use in Oz

Originally Posted by sunnysyd
Hi
If anybody has any warnings/tips I'd appreciate it...I want to buy a DVD recorder on the net from the UK because its almost $600 cheaper in the UK!! The model is the Pioneer 720H which sells in David Jones in Sydney for $1699 but is available in the UK for £450 !!

Thanks in advance

S

check what region the player sold in the uk uses.It will definatly be at least region 2 because thats what we use here.On the other hand it may be multi regional so then you should have no problems at all using it in aus.We,ve got a decent player thats only on region 2 so i,m going to have to alter it,s coding,i know how to do it but i,m going to leave it just before we go in case i balls it up.

dave
Old Dec 27th 2004, 7:07 pm
ad4ozz

DVD recorders can not be hacked by just using a code to change the region like DVD players can be. We have a Philips recorder which is very good at what it is suposed to do...recording... ...and find it much less hassle than Videos as it will record straight to dvd disc or to hard drive. But it will only play UK region proper discs and those recorded on itself and refuses to play anybody elses also to get it to be multi region you have to have a chip inserted in it. Buy one that already says multi region in the first place. Good site to check uk prices for one is http://www.dealtime.co.uk/ just stick dvd recorder in the search bar at top.

Old Dec 28th 2004, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

chew is an unknown quantity at this point

What ever you decide to do,We brought a Phillips with us,went wrong twice in the UK,replaced with new by Phillips. We burn more beer mats than disc's so contact Phillips here in oz(Ade) who tell us NO WARRENTY, asnot bought in oz,befor we left uk in 4/04 Phillips told us they would fix it in oz,we didnt get in writing,so now have to send it back to john lewis in uk for fixing,which Phillips are going to pay for anyway...Make certain you get Global cover
Old Dec 28th 2004, 8:52 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all the advice - I have checkd that it is a multi-region DVD player, but (given the previous comments), I'm worried that multi-region doesn't really mean much when it comes to DVD recorders - I will have to check that out. If anybody else knows, I'd appreciate if they could let me know.

Can I just order it on the internet from the UK and get it delivered to me here in Sydney? If its that easy, I'm surprised everybody isn't doing it as the amount of money being saved is considerable.

s
Old Dec 28th 2004, 8:55 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the advice - I have checkd that it is a multi-region DVD player, but (given the previous comments), I'm worried that multi-region doesn't really mean much when it comes to DVD recorders - I will have to check that out. If anybody else knows, I'd appreciate if they could let me know.

Can I just order it on the internet from the UK and get it delivered to me here in Sydney? If its that easy, I'm surprised everybody isn't doing it as the amount of money being saved is considerable.

s
You'll probably have to pay some import duty, in the UK the delivery company usually it off you, don't know if it's the same in Australia.
Old Dec 28th 2004, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice

s
Try looking at the portable players with an audio/ video out plugs, as they are portable they are always multi region. I just bought the kids a portable one for christmas and we visited my sis who has not got a DVD player. We just hooked it up to her telly and everyone watched DVD's on her telly.
Old Dec 28th 2004, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

You can buy dvd players very cheaply here. I have seen dvd recorders in Harvey Norman today for $599 (Philips).
Old Dec 28th 2004, 10:22 am
ABCDiamond

Hi

Thanks in advance

S
JB Hifi have been known to sell that model for $1,499 and Harvey Norman will order them in for people.

Unfortunately that model is not yet very popular here, so isn't being discounted much.

Old Dec 28th 2004, 11:37 am
Just Joined

[QUOTE=ABCDiamond]JB Hifi have been known to sell that model for $1,499 and Harvey Norman will order them in for people.

Thanks ABC, but the UK price is still $500 cheaper than the best Aussie price!! I just think the lack of competition here in Aus is just pathetic - I always double check prices for everything here with the prices back home and I get the impression that most things are just much more expensive over here given the lack of consumer choice.

s
Old Dec 28th 2004, 1:28 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=sunnysyd]
Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
JB Hifi have been known to sell that model for $1,499 and Harvey Norman will order them in for people.

Thanks ABC, but the UK price is still $500 cheaper than the best Aussie price!! I just think the lack of competition here in Aus is just pathetic - I always double check prices for everything here with the prices back home and I get the impression that most things are just much more expensive over here given the lack of consumer choice.

s
Hiya Sunnysid,
It's just a question of competition driving prices down. I suspect that the maufacturers are also pushing them.

Bye
Mark
Old Dec 28th 2004, 1:52 pm
stuck in twilight

pike is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by markeh
Hiya Sunnysid,
It's just a question of competition driving prices down. I suspect that the maufacturers are also pushing them.

Bye
Mark

Dvd players £29.00 uk
Old Dec 28th 2004, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

windsurfer uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Thanks in advance

S
Dvd recorder from Sainsburys with firewire input( for camcorder) 150.00 uk pounds,bought it a few months ago works great, next model down (without firewire 75.00 "was on offer ") plus you can recode them to specific region. Why pay 450.00 ? It may be chinese made but at that price, if I get a couple of years out of it I will be happy.
Old Dec 29th 2004, 12:05 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by pike
Dvd players £29.00 uk
Conia DVD player at the Good Guys 2 weeks ago was $65 (@2.5 = £26) I bought one.
But today it's $54 (@2.5 = £21.60) !!!

Old Dec 29th 2004, 5:51 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Superior
You're in lala-land if thats what you think! Everytime I've been back to europe, I'm amazed at the prizes people pay for stuff back there.
If you cannot find things here cheaper, you're are either blind or not looking in the right places.
I've been building my own PC recently. Every component was cheaper and had better availability in the UK.

BTW that was using pluscorp and pricematching to places like umart and MSY. umart and MSY have too minimal a service.

Auspcmarket is good but pricey. pmecomputers was brilliant and gave excellent service. Must be because the European market is 30 times bigger.

Last edited by bondipom; Dec 29th 2004 at 6:12 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.