Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying a DVD Recorder in Aus...advice?

Buying a DVD Recorder in Aus...advice?

Old Dec 5th 2006, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Buying a DVD Recorder in Aus...advice?

Originally Posted by marco121068
Take a look at the Topfield PVR. With a subscription to IceTV you can transfer the 7 day epg to your PVR via a USB connection. (http://www.icetv.com.au/compatibility.php)

We were going to get the Topfield 5000 (Twin Tuner 160Gb HD) - but decided on a cheaper model (also with twin tuner and 160 Gig HD). Cost about $480.

The latest Topfield comes with built in WiFi so it can download the EPG directly.

ooh... Where from?
Old Dec 5th 2006, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gjn200
ooh... Where from?
The one I got was from JB Hi Fi - the Topfield is also sold there - along with places such as Good Guys and Harvey Norman etc.
Old Dec 6th 2006, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by marco121068
Take a look at the Topfield PVR. With a subscription to IceTV you can transfer the 7 day epg to your PVR via a USB connection. (http://www.icetv.com.au/compatibility.php)

We were going to get the Topfield 5000 (Twin Tuner 160Gb HD) - but decided on a cheaper model (also with twin tuner and 160 Gig HD). Cost about $480.

The latest Topfield comes with built in WiFi so it can download the EPG directly.

OK, I know I'm only a girl and I've only just figured out that "vinyl" is the name for those old records I used to buy and I still don't know the difference between an ipod and an mp3 player... but what the heck is:

PVR?
IceTV?
epg?
WiFi?

by the way what is the difference between and ipod and an mp3player?

and would I be able to operate it all if you told me?

Please be kind!
Old Dec 6th 2006, 5:17 am
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jacknscoob
Hi guys

We are looking to buy a DVD recorder here in Aus. We have normal free to view channels (no Sky).

Looking at the different types, it appears to be a mine-field.

In people's experinece what are the key functions that you need? What sort of spec would be acceptable.

What discs do you need to buy, I know there are plus and minus discs, which ones are best???

Iv noticed that they do not have video-plus here in aus for VCRs.

The tele isnt great out here, so fancy recordeing stuff, when it happens.

Here's hoping there is a wizzo on this out there.

Thanks

The Spinkways
We have 2 set ups the same (bedroom,lounge).A set top box with HDD going into a Liteon DVD recorder.The liteon will burn all DVD,s and also CD minus r for audio,also video on to audio CD,s in JPEG 2.

Buy a combined DVD,HDD and you have the best of both worlds,cheap ones for about $300.

The computer multi centres are my next project but technology is leaving me behind and advancing quickly now.
You need a DVD player for 5.1 out as they all record only in stereo.
Old Dec 6th 2006, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by flip
OK, I know I'm only a girl and I've only just figured out that "vinyl" is the name for those old records I used to buy and I still don't know the difference between an ipod and an mp3 player... but what the heck is:

PVR?
IceTV?
epg?
WiFi?

by the way what is the difference between and ipod and an mp3player?

and would I be able to operate it all if you told me?

Please be kind!
Hi,

Info on Ice Tv can be found at http://www.icetv.com.au/about.php
PVR is short for Personal Video Recorder where the programs are recorded to hard disk rather than a video or dvd. Its a much better option in my opinion.
epg is an electronic program guide, like Sky in the UK or Foxtel in Oz.
Wifi is basically wireless internet where your devices talk to each other without wires.

Cheers

Ian
Old Dec 6th 2006, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Jarvl will become famous soon enoughJarvl will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=jayr]I got a pair of those wireles AV senders from Dick Smith's. they work on a radio frequency (2.8GHz) so I am actually set up that I can send the Foxtel signal wirelessly to my computer (as well as receiving TV signal directly) and so record Foxtel direct to my computer hard drive. Not sure you can do this with a PVR unless it is Foxtel IQ

Additional benefits of using these is I can send Foxtel to my TV in bedroom and can send music from my computer to remote speakers.

Hope you don't mind me asking.... asked in Dick Smith's about them and if they would affect our wireless broadband? I was told it would as they run on the same frequency?
Old Dec 7th 2006, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yanH
Hi,

Info on Ice Tv can be found at http://www.icetv.com.au/about.php
PVR is short for Personal Video Recorder where the programs are recorded to hard disk rather than a video or dvd. Its a much better option in my opinion.
epg is an electronic program guide, like Sky in the UK or Foxtel in Oz.
Wifi is basically wireless internet where your devices talk to each other without wires.

Cheers

Ian
Exactly what I was going to say.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 2:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showforum=8

try these forums for good advice.

http://www.dba.org.au/index.asp?sectionID=18 list of products in Aus.

Ian
Old Dec 29th 2006, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of

Hi Guys

Thanks for the info.

Is it possible to buy a DVD recorder, with hard drive and a VCR combo???

thanks

J
Old Dec 30th 2006, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
There is a very strong rumour on Whirlpool.net.au (the main broadband/tech news forum in aussie) That sometime next year, Foxtel will release a new service.
Where on whirlpool?
Old Dec 30th 2006, 1:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lesleys
Where on whirlpool?

The new service is now a reality, with people betatesting the system.

Here is the link as to how it works...

The whirlpool reference to this service is now old, and I cannot find the link.

http://www.lamp.edu.au/emn/?p=349

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Dec 30th 2006 at 1:46 pm.