Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying a DVD Recorder in Aus...advice?

Buying a DVD Recorder in Aus...advice?

Old Sep 19th 2006, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of
Default Buying a DVD Recorder in Aus...advice?

Hi guys

We are looking to buy a DVD recorder here in Aus. We have normal free to view channels (no Sky).

Looking at the different types, it appears to be a mine-field.

In people's experinece what are the key functions that you need? What sort of spec would be acceptable.

What discs do you need to buy, I know there are plus and minus discs, which ones are best???

Iv noticed that they do not have video-plus here in aus for VCRs.

The tele isnt great out here, so fancy recordeing stuff, when it happens.

Here's hoping there is a wizzo on this out there.

Thanks

The Spinkways
Old Sep 19th 2006, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

marknclaire is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying a DVD Recorder in Aus...advice?

IMHO forget a DVD recorder , get a PVR!
unless you really want to copy stuff to a disc to save for some time.

pvr is a hard disk recorder with a SD input. so you get the digitial chanels with the option to save
other plus is they are soooo much cheaper.
i got a digicrystal PVR for $228 at strathfield. good quality philips tuner 80gb hard drive which equals about 26 hours of record time

forgot to mention this works really well if you have a UK telly,simply plug the pvr into the arial socket and then a scart cable from the pvr to your uk tv, he presto , digital aussie tele.

Last edited by marknclaire; Sep 19th 2006 at 12:43 am.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 2:54 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Why buy a DVD recorder or PVR when all you need to do is turn your PC into a TV.

If you buy a TV card and software for your computer (of which many are now available some just as a small USB device), you will be able to receive digital and analogue (free to air) TV direct to your computer.

You can then record (like a PVR) direct to your hard drive and time-shift (record and watch at same time) and later burn to DVD.

Not only that, but the software will also make it very easy to plug in your old VHS camcorder and record directly to digital, i.e. transfer tape to DVD.

All this can be done for under $100. You can also expand your hard drive to your hear's content by the addition of external hard drives rather than be limited by the hard drive on the PVR.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 3:46 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Ive got a DVD Recorder and Id' second the advice to forget it and get a personal Hard Disk recorder like the one from strathfield.

The cost of disks and the rest of it - hardly makes it worthwhile. If you want it for recording TV save the hassle buy a good old VCR for like 50$ or spend the 228 for the PVR form Straithfield - ive never seen them that cheap, i'd happily pay that for one.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 5:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayr
Why buy a DVD recorder or PVR when all you need to do is turn your PC into a TV.

If you buy a TV card and software for your computer (of which many are now available some just as a small USB device), you will be able to receive digital and analogue (free to air) TV direct to your computer.

You can then record (like a PVR) direct to your hard drive and time-shift (record and watch at same time) and later burn to DVD.

Not only that, but the software will also make it very easy to plug in your old VHS camcorder and record directly to digital, i.e. transfer tape to DVD.

All this can be done for under $100. You can also expand your hard drive to your hear's content by the addition of external hard drives rather than be limited by the hard drive on the PVR.

Yes I aim to do this with my next Computer, .. with twin HD tuner, TV card, Connect it to my big screen tv.... and hopefully wireless (blue tooth or IR ? that is the question) senders to monitors and other peripherals around my house..... I've been trying to get some techy mates to do this. so that they can be the Guinea pigs first

Otherwise, PVR with HDMI output is the way to go, Try and get a HD (high definition) PVR

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 19th 2006 at 5:08 am.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 6:13 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I got a pair of those wireles AV senders from Dick Smith's. they work on a radio frequency (2.8GHz) so I am actually set up that I can send the Foxtel signal wirelessly to my computer (as well as receiving TV signal directly) and so record Foxtel direct to my computer hard drive. Not sure you can do this with a PVR unless it is Foxtel IQ

Additional benefits of using these is I can send Foxtel to my TV in bedroom and can send music from my computer to remote speakers.

I also picked up a wireless camera and so can send live images from say the pool to my TV or computer.

A sender receiver pair costs under $100.

Not sure that the same sort of thing is yet available on bluetooth and IR would be no good. Apple are working on something at the moment though

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Yes I aim to do this with my next Computer, .. with twin HD tuner, TV card, Connect it to my big screen tv.... and hopefully wireless (blue tooth or IR ? that is the question) senders to monitors and other peripherals around my house..... I've been trying to get some techy mates to do this. so that they can be the Guinea pigs first

Otherwise, PVR with HDMI output is the way to go, Try and get a HD (high definition) PVR
Old Sep 19th 2006, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

I just wish the channels would broadcast the listings so that a 7 day epg would work. Untill then all the recording devices are a waste of time, ok you can get gcode (videoplus) and do it from a tv magazine, but I've yet to see a pvr with a digital (sd or hd) tuner built in do it.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 9:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayr

just out of curiosity if i brought a computer over to oz from england with the built in facility to receive analogue and digital tv would it work in oz cheers bobby
Old Sep 19th 2006, 11:35 pm
Karma Comedian

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
just out of curiosity if i brought a computer over to oz from england with the built in facility to receive analogue and digital tv would it work in oz cheers bobby
Don't know for sure but I think it probably would, the software is usually set for international standards and will scan the airwaves for locally broadcast channels. I'm sure mine works in all flavours of PAL and NTSC.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Buying a DVD Recorder in Aus...advice?

Hi Guys

Thanks for the advice!

Maybe a silly qustion...but is there a way to get sky channels / UK TV for free in Australia? Using a PC or the like?

Thanks

The Spinkways
Old Dec 4th 2006, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jacknscoob
Hi Guys

Thanks for the advice!

Maybe a silly qustion...but is there a way to get sky channels / UK TV for free in Australia? Using a PC or the like?

Thanks

The Spinkways
Not really - you can download UK TV programmes from places like Bittorrent, but you need a decent b/band connection and generally not a lot of limits on downloads. It can be done fairly easily, and there are lots of places to get it, but because of the fundamental difference caused by the hemispheres, the Aus sat cannot see the UK satellite, thus it's not like Spain for example where you can get Sky as it's within 'range'. Best thing would be to look into the download option IF you have the limitless download capacity. 2GB a month for example will just not cut it.

This is the only way you'll get Eastenders etc as up to date versions...
Old Dec 4th 2006, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gjn200
I just wish the channels would broadcast the listings so that a 7 day epg would work. Untill then all the recording devices are a waste of time, ok you can get gcode (videoplus) and do it from a tv magazine, but I've yet to see a pvr with a digital (sd or hd) tuner built in do it.
Take a look at the Topfield PVR. With a subscription to IceTV you can transfer the 7 day epg to your PVR via a USB connection. (http://www.icetv.com.au/compatibility.php)

We were going to get the Topfield 5000 (Twin Tuner 160Gb HD) - but decided on a cheaper model (also with twin tuner and 160 Gig HD). Cost about $480.

The latest Topfield comes with built in WiFi so it can download the EPG directly.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 12:18 am
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jacknscoob
Hi guys

We are looking to buy a DVD recorder here in Aus. We have normal free to view channels (no Sky).

Looking at the different types, it appears to be a mine-field.

In people's experinece what are the key functions that you need? What sort of spec would be acceptable.

What discs do you need to buy, I know there are plus and minus discs, which ones are best???

Iv noticed that they do not have video-plus here in aus for VCRs.

The tele isnt great out here, so fancy recordeing stuff, when it happens.

Here's hoping there is a wizzo on this out there.

Thanks

The Spinkways
I'd get a multi regional dvd player, so you can play your uk dvd's plus your Oz bought ones. Hopefully soon though, the regional dvd system will be banished anyway.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 2:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

We have a combined Panasonic DVD/VCR player. We also have Foxtel, which to be quite honest, we watch more than 'free to air' TV. You can choose different plans for Foxtel starting from $39.95 a month...so you just choose a plan which suits you
Old Dec 5th 2006, 5:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyphilpott
Not really - you can download UK TV programmes from places like Bittorrent, but you need a decent b/band connection and generally not a lot of limits on downloads. It can be done fairly easily, and there are lots of places to get it, but because of the fundamental difference caused by the hemispheres, the Aus sat cannot see the UK satellite, thus it's not like Spain for example where you can get Sky as it's within 'range'. Best thing would be to look into the download option IF you have the limitless download capacity. 2GB a month for example will just not cut it.

This is the only way you'll get Eastenders etc as up to date versions...

There is a very strong rumour on Whirlpool.net.au (the main broadband/tech news forum in aussie) That sometime next year, Foxtel will release a new service. A PVR system that will download via the satellite, any and I mean any TV program from anywhere in the world that they broadcast.

IE: Eastenders on the same day it's broadcast in the UK, and anything else on sky.

I'm waiting for this service.

Massive year for technology next year, what with the Nokia N95 Sat nav system/5 megapixal camera/8 gig walkman phone.

"Basic" Headsets that control gaming, via electrical impulse from the brain, and intuitive games. Technology is now getting very scary.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.