Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying contact lenses on-line

Buying contact lenses on-line

Old Aug 16th 2007, 4:40 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light
Default Buying contact lenses on-line

Does anyone have any experience of this? I've found a few sites selling contacts for way less than the optician on the high street, but not sure how reliable they are? I can't believe how cheap they are. Too good to be true?
Old Aug 16th 2007, 6:43 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying contact lenses on-line

I would be interested in this too, I used to get my lenses direct over the internet - loads cheaper than going to Specsavers (about half the price for 6 months worth) and I never had any problems with them (just get regular check ups). I haven`t looked here in Oz yet as I`ve brought 10 month supply with me, so it would be interesting to see what site is recommended.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

Friwis is just really niceFriwis is just really niceFriwis is just really niceFriwis is just really niceFriwis is just really niceFriwis is just really niceFriwis is just really niceFriwis is just really niceFriwis is just really nice

I use netoptical.com.au - they were recommended to me by a friend and I've found them to be excellent - good prices and really quick and efficient service.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

The only problem with online lenses is that no optician checks them in your eye and the aftercare isn't included like you would get with a specsavers package. SO what I do is get them fitted initially by an optician (preferably on one of those free intro trial things) THEN order them all cheaply online!
Or another alternative, if you have daily disposables, would be to stay on the 10 pairs a month package and top that up with cheap ones from online.
I know, it's devious, but the opticians tend to have rip-off prices!!
I've ordered lots of lenses online and never had any problems, in UK and now in Australia.
But I would say ALWAYS get your eyes checked out first by a proper optician/optometrist, it's not worth risking your eyes for the sake of saving 50 bucks.
Enjoy the online bargains!
Old Aug 16th 2007, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by webgum
Does anyone have any experience of this? I've found a few sites selling contacts for way less than the optician on the high street, but not sure how reliable they are? I can't believe how cheap they are. Too good to be true?
Hi. My other half uses www.lensmail.com which he has found to be excellent and very efficient. The last order he placed at 10.00 am on a Monday and they were delivered at 8.00 am the next morning.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

Originally Posted by webgum
Have used eyesonline.com.au without any problems.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

trehere is on a distinguished road

OPSM direct (opsmdirect.com.au) have been good for me and were reccomended to me by a couple of Aussies who have been ordering on line for ever. You still need to visit an optician to get an up to date prescription but once that's done you can get really cheap lens.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 3:07 am
lor
BE Forum Addict

lor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trehere
OPSM direct (opsmdirect.com.au) have been good for me and were reccomended to me by a couple of Aussies who have been ordering on line for ever. You still need to visit an optician to get an up to date prescription but once that's done you can get really cheap lens.
Does any one know, if any of these mentioned sites require a copy of your most recent prescription before???

As I've recently had my eyes tested (luckily no change)but unfortunately was never given a prescription sheet.

And I now, that just asking for one is sure going to involve a hard sale's approach.

Many thanks.Lor
Old Aug 17th 2007, 8:44 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lor
Does any one know, if any of these mentioned sites require a copy of your most recent prescription before???

As I've recently had my eyes tested (luckily no change)but unfortunately was never given a prescription sheet.

And I now, that just asking for one is sure going to involve a hard sale's approach.

Many thanks.Lor

Hi Lor

I've never had to send one - I just had to declare that my eye tests were up to date.

HTH

Rach
Old Aug 17th 2007, 10:45 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks everyone for advice and websites. I'm already a contact lens wearer and am going to the optometrist on Monday - but I really resent how much they charge for both specs and contacts, hence my question.

I'm a paranoid contact lens wearer - terrified of infections etc as I really abused my eyes as a teenage contacts wearer. learnt my lesson there - woke up one morning and thought I'd gone blind.......that'll teach me to take my lenses out and pop them in my mouth for a quick rinse.

Someone else has recommended netoptical.com.au, so I think I'll head for them.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 11:38 am
lor
BE Forum Addict

lor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo
Hi Lor

I've never had to send one - I just had to declare that my eye tests were up to date.

HTH

Rach
Hi Rach
That's good to hearCan I be nosy and ask who you use.
Lor
Old Aug 17th 2007, 11:41 am
lor
BE Forum Addict

learnt my lesson there - woke up one morning and thought I'd gone blind.......that'll teach me to take my lenses out and pop them in my mouth for a quick rinse.

You never!!!