Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

buying clothes from a uk internet site, do we pay tax or duty, or anything similar?

buying clothes from a uk internet site, do we pay tax or duty, or anything similar?

Old Dec 12th 2007, 11:52 am

carmele is an unknown quantity at this point
Default buying clothes from a uk internet site, do we pay tax or duty, or anything similar?

anyone know the answer?

Carmel
Old Dec 12th 2007, 12:51 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: buying clothes from a uk internet site, do we pay tax or duty, or anything simila

Originally Posted by carmele
anyone know the answer?

Carmel
Not sure what the limit is, but unless you are going wild there's no problem. A lot won't deliver to Aus though, so you may have to do it with delivery to a UK friend, and then they forward it on.
I've just discovered how many Evans jeans are on ebay, a godsend, the only ones I can find anywhere in the world that are the right shape!
Old Dec 12th 2007, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

GaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really nice
Default Re: buying clothes from a uk internet site, do we pay tax or duty, or anything simila

It depends on customs, same as if you bought from the USA when in the UK. Sometimes you get away with it, sometimes you don't.

At most it will be the GST on the original purchase value.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 7:36 pm

Great thanks for that, just found loads of cool t shirts for the kids with free delivery to oz for 10gbp from a decent website I've used before! I just can't get then here for that price, they're $50 each!

I lurve a bargain! Thanks for your replys much appreciated1 Gonna shop till I drop!!!!!

x
Old Dec 12th 2007, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

kimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud of

Great thanks for that, just found loads of cool t shirts for the kids with free delivery to oz for 10gbp from a decent website I've used before! I just can't get then here for that price, they're $50 each!

I lurve a bargain! Thanks for your replys much appreciated1 Gonna shop till I drop!!!!!

x
can you let us know the website???
Old Dec 12th 2007, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

I tend to buy the girls lots of clothes in the Boden sale and the last time I checked the limit was $400 (not sure if that was just kids' clothes though).

Rachel
Old Dec 12th 2007, 10:43 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Crow
I tend to buy the girls lots of clothes in the Boden sale and the last time I checked the limit was $400 (not sure if that was just kids' clothes though).

Rachel

The current customs limit is $1000 before you have to pay tax or duty on new goods. The details can be found here.

Beware that if you order several things that get shipped separately, and arrive at customs at about the same time, then they take the value of everything when assessing dutiable goods. If you're ordering something that may come in separate consignments, it may pay to leave a couple of days between orders.

S
Old Dec 13th 2007, 1:21 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

If you like their stuff 'Rohan' in the UK ship worldwide now and if it's coming here they take the VAT off and then add postage (works out about the same original price) and it turns up pretty quickly.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 5:12 am
Just Joined

amazed is an unknown quantity at this point

anyone know the answer?

Carmel
ive ordered kit from man united site and wasnt charged vat as delivery address etc was oz .not sure about other companies though
Old Dec 13th 2007, 5:50 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

I've used loads of the shops from the site that I set up which lists all UK shops that deliver worldwide:-

So far I haven't been charged anything through customs - apologies but I dont know what the limit it sorry

HTH

Rach xxxx

Last edited by Pollyana; Dec 13th 2007 at 9:06 am. Reason: Site is linked in your signature, once is enough!
Old Dec 13th 2007, 6:30 am
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo
I've used loads of the shops from this site that I set up which lists all UK shops that deliver worldwide:-

UK Shopping Worldwide

So far I haven't been charged anything through customs - apologies but I dont know what the limit it sorry

HTH

Rach xxxx
That's a brilliant website....!

Thanks!

Topshop here I come xx
Old Dec 13th 2007, 6:34 am

Thanks to everyone for their input, i've avoided UK internet shopping up until now as I thought stuff would incur a hefty tax charge for some reason???

The website for kids t shirts are:

showroom64.com, snuglo, noaddedsugar, they have some cool slogan t shirts for kids if you like that sort of thing

I love boden for the kids yeh, they grow out of the clothes from there before they wear them out! They're fab! I miss it! That and fatface!

Rach I just looked at your link.......... real cadburys chocolate .........mm mmmmmmmmm!

carmel
x
Old Dec 13th 2007, 6:48 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by claire edwards
That's a brilliant website....!

Thanks!

Topshop here I come xx
Glad you like it - took me ages to find all of those shops!! I need to do some more research soon to find out if any new shops have caught onto the fact that there is a market for their stuff in oz!
Old Dec 13th 2007, 8:28 am
Just Joined

Kiwi Kid has much to be proud ofKiwi Kid has much to be proud ofKiwi Kid has much to be proud ofKiwi Kid has much to be proud ofKiwi Kid has much to be proud ofKiwi Kid has much to be proud ofKiwi Kid has much to be proud ofKiwi Kid has much to be proud ofKiwi Kid has much to be proud ofKiwi Kid has much to be proud ofKiwi Kid has much to be proud of

anyone know the answer?

Carmel
The VAT should be deducted by vendor but remember some items don't have VAT to begin with ie childrens clothes.

If you have trouble with the supplier get the head of finance name. Send 1KG icing sugar in plain brown envelope addressed to them via Brazil. It wont help your cause but it will help your morale.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

La Redoute is the only site I know which deducts the VAT. Anyone know any other?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.