Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying clothes from Bangkok

Buying clothes from Bangkok

Old Apr 28th 2010, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light
Default Buying clothes from Bangkok

Is anyone making a stopover in Bangkok to buy clothes? How's the price/quality, range etc. nowadays?

We are thinking of flying Thai to Sydney and spending a week in Bangkok.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 10:32 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying clothes from Bangkok

Much of the commercial area of Bangkok is currently closed - that includes most of the big malls.

I'm sure you're aware that travel to Thailand is currently not advised by many governments, especially Bangkok - things may be kicking off again as we speak.

Generally I don't find the range or prices that great - I was there in Jan and a lot of the stuff was cheaper in the UK where I'd just been - cheaper than Aus though.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

DibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really nice

I totaly disagree, you can get anything in bangkok, great quality at great prices, clothes are my passion and there is nowhere like it, try the night market some great bargins there, or any of the large malls if designer stuff is your thing.

Uk cheaper??-only if you buy primark tat that you throw away after 1 wash
Old Apr 28th 2010, 10:45 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DibDob
Uk cheaper??-only if you buy primark tat that you throw away after 1 wash

Er, no. Don't think I've ever bought anything from Primark.

As an example - I was shopping for Onitsuka Tiger trainers - regardless of where I looked they were much more expensive in Bangkok than the UK, but cheaper than here.

Shopping for branded, not 'designer' labels I really didn't consider it a bargain.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 11:20 am
Just Joined

cybershaun is an unknown quantity at this point

You generally get what you pay for in Thailand and yeah, imported goods are pricier there than they are in Singapore or Malaysia.

Watch the news closely to find out about the political situation in Thailand before going.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

DibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really nice

Originally Posted by bcworld

Er, no. Don't think I've ever bought anything from Primark.

As an example - I was shopping for Onitsuka Tiger trainers - regardless of where I looked they were much more expensive in Bangkok than the UK, but cheaper than here.

Shopping for branded, not 'designer' labels I really didn't consider it a bargain.

Onitsuka Tiger Unisex Mexico 66 Trainer

ASOS UK £60

Asics-Siam Paragon Mall 2299 baht (£46)

Yip much more expensive
Old Apr 28th 2010, 12:59 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by DibDob
Onitsuka Tiger Unisex Mexico 66 Trainer

ASOS UK £60

Asics-Siam Paragon Mall 2299 baht (£46)

Yip much more expensive
Actually I saw decent Mexico 66 styles i.e. not completely outlandish colours in the UK in the range £30 - 60. So yes, potentially much more expensive. Whatever still beats the $180 price tag here - I ended up getting 2 pairs from the UK for less than the price of one in Aus.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

punoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to all

Oh I find BKK a great place to shop!!
U can get really good jeans for very cheap and really latest stuff. Bkk is a shopping paradise!
But would advice not to go right now...we just cancelled our Thailand trip which we were suppose to start on the 5thMay ( never mind...next year )
Old Apr 30th 2010, 8:51 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bcworld
Actually I saw decent Mexico 66 styles i.e. not completely outlandish colours in the UK in the range £30 - 60. So yes, potentially much more expensive. Whatever still beats the $180 price tag here - I ended up getting 2 pairs from the UK for less than the price of one in Aus.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ASICs-Onitsuk...item2a06b51b6d

ebay $40.. $29 postage.

Plenty to choose from... Customer satisfaction is our greatest joy!
Goods with good durability and breathability for your sport and tourism has brought great convenience

So their English may be a little ropey... but feedback is good.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 9:34 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I have some golf shirts bought in BKK over 20 years ago - they are worn in Oz sun, and washed, several times a week and are still intact (if a little faded.)
Old May 2nd 2010, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

swans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by caliburn
Is anyone making a stopover in Bangkok to buy clothes? How's the price/quality, range etc. nowadays?

We are thinking of flying Thai to Sydney and spending a week in Bangkok.
The cook and I have a house in BKK and seldom use the tourist areas.Clothes are cheaper away from the tourist areas along with everything else.

Quality is better than the old days,150 baht shirts still look good after 10 yrs.Puma trainers cost 250 baht at our local market and around 4-500 in the tourist areas.

Pattaya is probably cheaper for clothes.Get the bus (every half hour) from Ekamai (sky train stop) for 113 baht.If you go direct from the airport the sharks will sting you for around 1000 baht.

Ekamai is on the sky train in the direction of On Nut.There have been problems at Sala Daeng sky train stop (Patpong) and at Victory monument.There is a large army hostel at Victory mon and things tend to kick off there.