buying cars....

Old Aug 2nd 2006, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

parentsof2 is a jewel in the roughparentsof2 is a jewel in the roughparentsof2 is a jewel in the roughparentsof2 is a jewel in the rough
Default buying cars....

hello,

Trying to keep my mind occupied whilst waiting for our skills assessment to come back I have been thinking about our budget. I have set aside about 5,000 dollars to by a car. It has to be 4 door and big enough to accomodate a family of 2 adults and 2 children. Hubby is the one doing all the driving (as I don't drive), but he is hoping to cycle to work (if possible).

My question is - is this enough to buy a 2nd hand car? and what kind of car will we get for the money?

Thank you (as always) for any replies,

Karen
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 2:37 pm
tin
Brisbane bound

tin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: buying cars....

Originally Posted by parentsof2
hello,

Trying to keep my mind occupied whilst waiting for our skills assessment to come back I have been thinking about our budget. I have set aside about 5,000 dollars to by a car. It has to be 4 door and big enough to accomodate a family of 2 adults and 2 children. Hubby is the one doing all the driving (as I don't drive), but he is hoping to cycle to work (if possible).

My question is - is this enough to buy a 2nd hand car? and what kind of car will we get for the money?

Karen
Do a search on drive.com.au , lots of cars under $5k. You're probably looking at a high mileage (or is that kilometerage? ) car but if you get something like an old Toyota Camry/Cressida no reason it wont be reliable.
Cheers
Martyn
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

parentsof2 is a jewel in the roughparentsof2 is a jewel in the roughparentsof2 is a jewel in the roughparentsof2 is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: buying cars....

Originally Posted by tin
Do a search on drive.com.au , lots of cars under $5k. You're probably looking at a high mileage (or is that kilometerage? ) car but if you get something like an old Toyota Camry/Cressida no reason it wont be reliable.
Cheers
Martyn
Thanks martyn,

Have had a look at the website and will show it to david when he gets in. Although I don't think my criteria of 'thats a pretty colour' will impress him much!

Karen
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 9:46 am
There is no "U" in Qantas

MisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really nice

Originally Posted by tin
Cheers
Martyn
We bought a 1988 Toyota Cressida for $5000 when we arrived and it is the best car I have ever bought. Only 100,000kms on the clock - that's 62,000 miles!!! Never let us down, great to drive - better than newer Commodores and Falcons - smooth engine and very fast. Has a 2.8 litre straight 6 engine so doesn't use the same fuel as the bigger cars. Even though we plan to get something more modern and I will be getting a company car we still plan to keep it for when family and friends come over to save them hiring a car. I is worth more keeping it than trying to sell.

Where are you moving to? If you are in Melbourne PM me and I will point you in the direction of a good used car lot.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 1:58 pm
Nothing is Free!

Location: Seacliff Park, Adelaide. Call in for a drink and a bbq if your passin'
Rachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of light

hello,

Karen
Hi Karen,
we got a 1998 daewoo laganza with 133,000km on the clock, 1 owner full service history, auto, aircon. Nice car $5,000 drive away with 3 months rego.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 2:00 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

hello,

Karen
I'm selling my '95 Mazda 323 for $4995 if you're interested?
Old Aug 4th 2006, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wmoore
I'm selling my '95 Mazda 323 for $4995 if you're interested?
Well that's very kind of you.... but since we are not planning on being in Oz until early next year, I will have to say no!

Karen