Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying a caravan park

Buying a caravan park

Old Aug 3rd 2008, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

evie202 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Buying a caravan park

Hi , we are interested in purchasing a caravan park is either Queensland or along the New South Wales coast , has anyone else any experience in this or any other similar leisure businesses , and can you offer us any advice ?
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 7:25 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a caravan park

Originally Posted by evie202
Hi , we are interested in purchasing a caravan park is either Queensland or along the New South Wales coast , has anyone else any experience in this or any other similar leisure businesses , and can you offer us any advice ?
A friend of ours Step-Father owns one of the Big 4 parks on the NSW south coast. He also buys up failing parks, turns them around and resells them. Personally it's something that I'd love to do and did look at, but the capital requirement to purchase is huge... If you've a few mill stashed then no problem, but other than that I couldn't see how it could be done sensibly...
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DrWho
A friend of ours Step-Father owns one of the Big 4 parks on the NSW south coast. He also buys up failing parks, turns them around and resells them. Personally it's something that I'd love to do and did look at, but the capital requirement to purchase is huge... If you've a few mill stashed then no problem, but other than that I couldn't see how it could be done sensibly...
We will have some capital but would need to borrow a small amount in order to acquire a large enough park to earn a decent living , we have some experience in the leisure sector , but we are builders by trade , just wondered if anyone had travelled this road ahead of us and what the outcome was ?
Old Aug 4th 2008, 12:14 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

My Husband wanted to do this also. The cost is rather prohibitive, but also I put on the brakes as I was uncertain about such a major change of lifestyle on top of emigrating. I was worried about raising my kids in an enviroment where all kinds of strangers would be passing through and could see us having no weekends away of our own,plus very early morning starts to accept milk, bread and linen deliveries.
We had no business experience and all in all I was too hesitant to take such a huge gamble with all our money especially when we had such a young family to care for....

Jan (doesn't do change very well )
Old Aug 4th 2008, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jan3kids
My Husband wanted to do this also. The cost is rather prohibitive, but also I put on the brakes as I was uncertain about such a major change of lifestyle on top of emigrating. I was worried about raising my kids in an enviroment where all kinds of strangers would be passing through and could see us having no weekends away of our own,plus very early morning starts to accept milk, bread and linen deliveries.
We had no business experience and all in all I was too hesitant to take such a huge gamble with all our money especially when we had such a young family to care for....

Jan (doesn't do change very well )
Yep i see what you mean it's not for everyone ! If you look at guests as "strangers " invading yours and your children's space , it probably isn't suitable . I think it will be a positive experience for my children to meet a variety of different other kids from different walks of life , having said that there would have to be private accomodation and grounds for us as owners . As for the other issues we plan to run a small staff , perhaps even an on-site manager , to take some of the workload away from us . Having had a hotel before i am very aware of not having time to spend with my family , and plan not to let this happen again !!