Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying a car. What type? Before we arrive? Driving costs?

Buying a car. What type? Before we arrive? Driving costs?

Old Apr 18th 2007, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

gidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud of
Default Buying a car. What type? Before we arrive? Driving costs?

I'm trying to research costs associated with buying a car when we get to Oz. Can you anyone provide advice on the following:

Thanks in advance.
            Old Apr 18th 2007, 12:08 pm
            Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
            Default Re: Buying a car. What type? Before we arrive? Driving costs?

This thread may help you a bit, although it's not quite up to date -

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376751

Buzzy
            Old Apr 19th 2007, 10:29 am
            BE Enthusiast

gidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
            This thread may help you a bit, although it's not quite up to date -

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376751

Buzzy
            Thanks Buzzy. Great spreadsheet but a 7 seater would be too much for my small family of 3. Anyone else with any advice/feedback?
            Old Apr 19th 2007, 10:42 am
            BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a car today, in NSW - we started at 9am, drove along the main road stopping at every used car lot on the way to see what they had. Started off with a clear idea of budget & 'musts' (mainly four wheels and aircon) and by ten to four (and about ten car lots later!) I'd put down a deposit on something below my budget. Going to pick it up tomorrow!
            Personally I think it would not be a good idea to buy second hand without seeing and driving it yourself, but new might work - depending on your budget. Always always negotiate the price down, they do not expect you to pay the advertised price.
            Based on my experience today, I would say if you aren't too fussy then there are lots of cars out there and it isn't something you need to worry about too much.
            Old Apr 19th 2007, 11:04 pm
            k76
            Forum Regular

k76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nice

First things first: Get a cheap rental car for a couple of weeks. It isn't that expensive, and you will quite likely get a very good return on that money. I say that because it's very easy to buy the wrong car for the wrong price when pressed for time.

If you have the budget for a new car that's great. Compared to Europe used cars hold their value better here, so I think new cars can be a good buy.

For myself I knew that we would be spending a lot of money when we came here, and I didn't know how long we would be on one income only. So I opted for second hand.
            If you need something to get the job done, without being fancy you can get very good deals on 2-3 year old Falcons, Commodore and Magna's. What I said above about holding value do (generally)not apply to these cars in the first 2-3 years, although the Commodore holds value better. Part of the reason is that they are used a lot as fleet cars, another is that the big sixes are falling somewhat out of fashion with the high(ish) petrol prices. Don't know about 4WDs, sorry